What trans in 1965 Barracuda with 273

-

rick1062

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I am new to the forum and new to mopar in general. I am working on a 1965 Barracuda with a 273 v8 and 2 bbl carb. I am going to need some transmission help, but first I don't even know which trans I have. What should I look for to ID the trans.

Thanks in advance for the newbe help.

Rick

Which transmission does it have.... If an automatic it's a 904. If it's a 4 speed it's an 833. If it's a 3 speed manual and the problem is the horrible grinding and clashing when you try to shift into 1st gear and the car is moving, don't worry about it. First gear in this transmission does not have any syncronizers, never did. With practice you'll get to the point where you can silently drop it into first around 5-10 MPH...

If the car is an automatic it will be 904

Yes, it is an automatic and it looks like that means a 904.

I removed the trans a few months ago, then got into some engine work and other stuff. Soon it will be time to reinstall the trans. Hard to admit it, but I am concerned about some connections I took off to remove the trans and how to reconnect them. One is at the rear and the other is at the left front. Do you all know if there information about this online, or another source? Or, maybe this forum is the best source of help.

Thanks again with the trans help.

Rick

and the problem is the horrible grinding and clashing when you try to shift into 1st gear and the car is moving, don't worry about it...

Having driven AND BROKEN a few of the older Chivvies, I find this incredibly humorous

Hard to admit it, but I am concerned about some connections I took off to remove the trans and how to reconnect them. One is at the rear and the other is at the left front.

Sounds like you're talking about the park and shift cables.

Do you all know if there information about this online, or another source? Or, maybe this forum is the best source of help.

Thanks again with the trans help.

Rick

There's probably some information on line. A 65 FSM would be your best friend for anything 65 related from the transmission to electrical. I'm sure someone on the forum can help you through the re-installation and adjustment procedures.

-
Back