what trans to use for road race?

-

Duster708

Reaction score
i have plans on roadracing and autocrossing my duster, just want to know if you can do either one with an automatic trans or if i have to switch to a manual

if i have to switch to a manual i am going to trade my buddy for his, but what else will i need to do to a once automatic car to convert?

the engine thats going in the car is a 440

I personally, would prefer a manual transmission and a small block.

X2 on the manual and a small block (built of course) because it will make the car lighter and easier to steer. Also talk to autoxcuda because he road races his care. You'll also want some big tires on the car, I suggest a mini tub (making the wheel wells flush with the frame rails) and a 3" inboard spring relocation. I've done a road race in an auto and it is a bit different youll find yourself manually shifting the car between 2-3 and depending on the track you'll push it into overdrive.

all i have on hand is the big block to rebuild, and moving the springs in 3 inches wont do anything ur changing the geometry too much and the bigger tire wont make up for the spring relocation, and i plan on haveg 275s at all 4 corneres

what im looking for is the maual trans manditory. i looked at the scca rules and they say no auto trans of any sort

I think I'd like a slant and a manual.

im not looking for personal prefrence i wana no if i have to switch to manual and what it entails for the conversion

what im looking for is the maual trans manditory. i looked at the scca rules and they say no auto trans of any sort

Does the SCCA rule book say "No automatic transmissions" or does it not say anything about automatic transmissions? I personally would prefer a 4-6 speed manual with a really short rear gear for autoX.

all i have on hand is the big block to rebuild, and moving the springs in 3 inches wont do anything ur changing the geometry too much and the bigger tire wont make up for the spring relocation, and i plan on haveg 275s at all 4 corneres
Look at the Le Mans series racers, none are running nothing >300. By moving the springs in 3" and the wider tires allows for great contact with the ground (very important), however if you don't want the to move the springs in you can always flare out the wheel housing area to get wider tires.
As far as the auto I used was an amatuer day at the track and I did it in a caddi cts (great riding car) I came in second and the only car to beat me (out of 16 on the track) was a viper designed for road racing.

Look at the Le Mans series racers, none are running nothing >300. By moving the springs in 3" and the wider tires allows for great contact with the ground (very important), however if you don't want the to move the springs in you can always flare out the wheel housing area to get wider tires.
As far as the auto I used was an amatuer day at the track and I did it in a caddi cts (great riding car) I came in second and the only car to beat me (out of 16 on the track) was a viper designed for road racing.

i think what he ment was that by moving the spring in it will exponentially increase the load on the springs in a turn becasue they are now so far in...

BUT

it should all be on your sway bars anyways so i dont see a problem... think 1.5/1" sway bars lol...

9.3.7. AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS AND HAND CONTROLS
Automatic transmissions are prohibited in all classes. However, the use of
alternative transmissions, including automatic transmissions, and/or hand
controls may be approved on a case-by-case basis. Such approval shall
be in writing from the Club Racing Technical Manager and shall be in the
driver’s possession at all competitions. (rules as of november)

i think what he ment was that by moving the spring in it will exponentially increase the load on the springs in a turn becasue they are now so far in...

BUT

it should all be on your sway bars anyways so i dont see a problem... think 1.5/1" sway bars lol...
Oh ok I see what you mean! If he wants to run leaf springs order up some of the Hotchkis road racing springs or the entire TVS from them. Otherwise convert over to a coilover setup and a 4 link (like the streetlynx setup) and have at it.

i did mini tub the thing thinking i would put in a four link but i like leafs better, and i have the hotchkis tvs kit, im not questioning any body jst wana no if i gota switch to b legal, original plan was reverse manual valve body + gearvendors od on 727

i did mini tub the thing thinking i would put in a four link but i like leafs better, and i have the hotchkis tvs kit, im not questioning any body jst wana no if i gota switch to b legal, original plan was reverse manual valve body + gearvendors od on 727

It says right in their rules that you quoted..........

"Automatic transmissions are prohibited in all classes."

Is something unclear about that?

If you stick a manual in it, you'll anyways be legal and never have to worry about it. I say put on in there but I'd look at a 5 or 6 speed (try getting one out of a viper or new challenger) vs a 4 speed.

im not looking for personal prefrence i wana no if i have to switch to manual and what it entails for the conversion

Personal preference is what it boils down to. YOUR personal preference. You don't HAVE to change anything. People road race with autos all the time. People are giving you THEIR personal preference that they would use a manual. I am in agreement. Personal preference is most certainly what you're looking for.

It says right in their rules that you quoted..........

"Automatic transmissions are prohibited in all classes."

Is something unclear about that?

Then there's your answer in red and white.

You can get an A833 OD a lot cheaper than adding the OD to an existing trans.

I have seen many auto cars auto crossing. Its no big deal. As for regional SCCA road racing I have seen several. National events, I have seen two auto cars. Both were camaros and both were driven by disabled drivers.
Contact your local SCCA group and talk it over with them. Your car will have to be inspected. It's best to seek their advice before you do anything.

-
Back