what transmission to use with new hemi 5.7

-
Mechanical linkage or hyd linkage. Tti has mechanical clutch linkage issues. I was just wondering what other people were doing. Thanks webby.

seem to remember the 4500 being a truck trans with a granny gear, something like 5 or 6 to 1 low gear......and being a pig when it comes to weight......pretty sure it is close to 200 pounds.....might want to google it.

You are correct the 4500 is a great transmission for off-road with a 5.61 first gear. Not so great for a muscle car.

On the other hand the 3500 is a better match. The light duty version has a 3.49 first gear. In my view not ideal, but with a 3.23 or 3.55 rear end gear probably a good street transmission.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Jamie is finally ready to start production!!!! Just got a call yesterday and I'm in the production queue. It is going behind a 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi in the '69 Barracuda Convertible. Timing is great because I just got the car back from the body shop.

Jamie is finally ready to start production!!!! Just got a call yesterday and I'm in the production queue. It is going behind a 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi in the '69 Barracuda Convertible. Timing is great because I just got the car back from the body shop.

That's good to hear, I know that it has been a hard slog for Jamie, I hope for his and his customers sake that the wait has been worth it. The engineering looks excellent, I hope the product lives up to the expectations.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

You are correct the 4500 is a great transmission for off-road with a 5.61 first gear. Not so great for a muscle car.

On the other hand the 3500 is a better match. The light duty version has a 3.49 first gear. In my view not ideal, but with a 3.23 or 3.55 rear end gear probably a good street transmission.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I agree, its not perfect, its torque handling capacity is a bit weak but at the cost of a bell housing I will give it a shot.

Glad to hear you are getting the Passion you'll have to keep us all up to speed on how it goes.:happy1:

I didn't mean to imply that I had ordered the Passon 5-Speed. Honestly I do think it is going to be the best transmission for someone who wants an over-drive AND drag race. I would LOVE to be able to afford one but simply can't. When I bought my motor it was a package deal that came with an A833 and a Gear Vendors overdrive. The price of my 6.1L Hemi and 4 speed and Gear vendors was pretty fantastic. Even if I could get full blown retail for the Gear Vendors and my 4-Speed, I couldn't justify the extra cash for the Passon Unit. I simply have too much other stuff to buy. At this point I want to finish the car more than make it perfect.

The enemy of good is better.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Not to change the subject but, what about getting exhaust out around everything. Once we get the transmission figured out the exhaust system needs to be snaked through. Anyone at that point yet?

Not to change the subject but, what about getting exhaust out around everything. Once we get the transmission figured out the exhaust system needs to be snaked through. Anyone at that point yet?

The last post was 2012, so yeah, I did that a while ago. In my case I hand built my own exhaust from the manifolds, really wasn't that bad. The only problem I had was the drivers side manifold was really close to the steering box and I had to modify it to clear. I had planned to make headers but never ended up doing it. Drove the car 13k miles and then sold it 2 years ago.

Thats kind of what i was thinking has to be done. How bad were the engine mounts to fabricate? Im afraid my little barracuda wont lnow what to do with the new found horsepower.

I didn't mind doing them at all, but I like building stuff. I cut off the old mounts from the k-frame completely and started over. I probably could have just bought the TTI conversion mounts in hindsight since they are pretty inexpensive.

I will have to check out the TTI ones first. If not it will be fab time. Im looking i to putting the holley reproduction 6 pack on it. Im thinking i can sell the fuel injection and recoupe some of the cost.

Don't forget if you get rid of the factory FI, you will then have to run spark control from a different controller. There is a distributor setup out there that was made for the Nascar version of the G3, but its something like $2000 just to be able to run the mechanical distributor. I linked the MSD spark control box for you below.

MSD 6013 Ignition/Timing Control for Late HEMI

If I was doing a G3 Hemi install all over again, I'd run a Megasquirt system. There is a plug and play out there now for the G3 and will allow you to tune at your own leisure as well as run a mechanical throttle body.

MS3 Gold Hemi | MegaSquirt

-
Back