What tti does not make

-

999yards

Reaction score
Just called TTI and Hedman. They do not make a header for a 1966 Barracuda with W2 heads. Hooker doesn't show one either.

Guy at TTI said cutting the flange off and welding a W2 flange will not work. He says the oval port on the flange wont match the exhaust tubes. For a shade tree guy like myself that sounds like b.s. as long as a 3/8 W2 flange is welded back on.

If that is true couldn't I just buy a 1-5/8" oval port W2 flange (Shoenfeld has them) and open it up to fit a larger header tube diameter?

Yes you can do exactly what you propose, just be sure you get the proper w2 flange. Early w2s had the stock LA pattern, later there was a dual pattern with w2 and std, and then I think there was a wider w2 at some point. But yes, with the right flange it shouldn't be a problem

A guy on Ebay has W2 flanges for something like 45 bucks. Thet are for 3/4 tube but that should be easily adaptable. He goes by Hells Gate Hot Rods.

Thanks. I will be going with a 1-3/4 tube but I'm thinking I will need to buy the 1-5/8 flange so that I will have room to match the oval port to a round tube.

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Block-Mopar-W-2-Exhaust-Header-Flange-custom-exhuast-hot-rod-muscle-car-/271305741035?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2b1512eb&vxp=mtr"]Small Block Mopar w 2 Exhaust Header Flange Custom Exhuast Hot Rod Muscle Car | eBay[/ame]
Check em out. Just tap the round 1-3/4 tube to the D shape of the ports and weld em up.

Headers by Ed is another source for flanges and other parts. If you call, just place your order. If you ask tech questions, be prepared for an hour and half on the phone...

Years ago I bought a set of his headers (he doesn't sell headers anymore) and another idea of his that I really liked was that each side was made in 3 pieces. Made it very easy to install. The pieces attached to each other with small 2 bolt flanges. With the TTIs, you might or might not be able to take advantage of this idea.

Also might want to check out Stainless Headers (that's the company's name). In their videos, once you fastfoward past the marketing they show some good ways to jig a header while you work on it. Might come in handy so your flange angles come out just as you want.

Last note. The TTIs I had use a beaded flange for sealing. In otherwords, there is a raised weld around each port that compresses into the gasket. The flange just backs it up. HBE, Stainless, Perfweld and other custom, semi-custom builders make the flange perfectly flat and get a seal that way. Both methods can work. Both have advantages and disadvantages. IMO, with the raised bead method, and thicker/softer gasket and thicker flange is the best. Ground flat, flange thickness is less important and thin/hard gasket is best.

Wow! I had know idea you would have this much of a problem getting a W2 header for a '66 Cuda. Glad the membership stepped up! Good going guys!

Check the headland race header section......hedman ...damn spell correcter ....

Thanks for all the help. Hedman does not make them at least that's what their tech guy told me.

-
Back