What type of power needed to compete, with a 427 chebby? (Not stock 427)

-

7duce swinger

Reaction score
Excuse my rant. After my window and door mishap(theres a thread on that). I was set back for buying a window, and fixing my kicked in door. That initially set back my smallblock turbo build,which i had to stop for said reasons ^^ . Im in big competition with my brother. My 318 ate his 302.. Now he has bought a 427 for his... Mustang(?idk?).. He purchased it from my brother in law for 800$. It's a 427 .040 over with trw domed pistons. The local machine shop, i believe (bnr racing ) or somthin ruther, stated that it should make close to 650 hp. It has a Performer 2.0 intake, msd ignition headers and will be backed by a 4 speed. Cam was a comp nitrous cam, was initially built to run on the bottle of doom. Specs idk??? Compression was stated to be 12.0:1 with what i believe are 396 castings. So in all my chevy ramblings, what do you guys figure with the parts listed? 650 hp output Or higher hp, or lower?

So with all that said, what do i need besides mucho rear gearing. So 440, where do i start? This will not be an immediate build as he hasnt got the motor in his car either. But basically what all do i need to do, so i wont get trampled? I dont know the weight of my dart but i do not have a heater, backseat, and will try and lighten a little more.. Also the car has went through a spring relo, so i need traction. Any and all info will be great. So since money is a little light. If its possible for a 400 horse teen with stock slugs, what can i do with a stock piston 69 440 block, reringed and zero-decked? Intake im thinking rpm, or m1(suggestions?). Ported 906's what size headers? Hell no to tti! I understand we are in a hobby which calls for having to pay $$$$$!. This will take a while, so im not worried. Im more looking on how i could do this cheaply( u know what i mean) cam (suggestions) and rear gear size help. Thanks, one more?.. Even if i cant meet said goals i would like around 500 ft/lbs (crank).

I also have a t70 turbo and all the plumbing, and intercooler, to do a twin turbo set up, besides the fact that im short one turbo.. So can it be done with only a re-ring, and zero deck of the block, or is all that i am thinking hogwash?

Unfortunately there isn't much info there to make an opinion. Your looking for 650hp out of a 440? I would say start with a stroker. Next heads not saying you cant do it with stock heads but would be easier with a head like indy, B1 or something close to them. Cam plays a huge roll. You wont get 650hp out of a re-ring and 0 deck. Your going to need some major components to get there. Also at 650hp you might want to start thinking about the block. You start to get in that range where the stock block will need help.

650 with nitrous or without? You wont need 650 to beat that motor but cant build one to beat it on a budget either. im roughtly at 5-6 grand and only at 500hp

Some races you will win, and some you won't. Just build a nice stout 440 in the 535 hp range. In a couple of years the GM will be in the junk yard, and in ten years you will still be cruisin' around with a nice respectable ride. On the other hand, a blown hemi...

if you get out my way(livermore) i'll show you a decent rat killer. :D

Put a Hemi in it (gen 2 or 3 you pick :twisted: ) a couple of turbos on either will leave him looking stupid every time. That's said you're making your car/pushing your car to the point of it needing a cage or just being a full on race car.

So what do you think about the output, of that 427? No idea on cam specs, but i do believe he is going with a different cam as well. Also my brother will (not) be feeding it with a bottle. So what type of gearing would i need? Right now its got 3.23's. and i know those aint doing squat. I can get a pumpkin with i believe 4.86(or 4.88) gears right now.i have the turbo set up as well. I know you win some you lose some, but not against a mustang...... Oh so, you have rat poison ,yes? bad440 ? I would like to hear of this so called rat trap :D ..

7432.6.... -___-....The 427 is supposed to run 450 on motor. And it will be a while before we both get both motors in the car so far all i need is my driveshaft shortened.+ cam+intake etc.. So what do i need to get this going, i meant re-ring to handle boost, or deck the block for more comp by the way, not that it would instantly give power. Any and all help,is appreciated. I can also get 452 heads for free ported and polished (not by me). So basically i would like to ask is, what cam, for ported and polished 452's,(maybe slightly milled) decked block, and re-ringed. What size headers? and what intake. What i have on hand already is a speed demon 750, and torker manifold, no headers as i need to find some now for bigblock. What cam would be sufficient for this build? Im mainly looking for around 500 ft/lbs crank, and 425 hp. Ive already rounded out cost, to be under 4 for used intake, and new cam and lifters.maybe cheaper..

7432.6.... -___-....The 427 is supposed to run 450 on motor. And it will be a while before we both get both motors in the car so far all i need is my driveshaft shortened.+ cam+intake etc.. So what do i need to get this going, i meant re-ring to handle boost, or deck the block for more comp by the way, not that it would instantly give power. Any and all help,is appreciated. I can also get 452 heads for free ported and polished (not by me). So basically i would like to ask is, what cam, for ported and polished 452's,(maybe slightly milled) decked block, and re-ringed. What size headers? and what intake. What i have on hand already is a speed demon 750, and torker manifold, no headers as i need to find some now for bigblock. What cam would be sufficient for this build? Im mainly looking for around 500 ft/lbs crank, and 425 hp. Ive already rounded out cost, to be under 4 for used intake, and new cam and lifters.maybe cheaper..
:wack:
the 452 heads and intake will work ok. bore it +.060". a 850 would be better. a solid cam in the .600"+ range will be good. roller rockers. forged or hyper pistons with a pop-up to get compression up to 10-1+ will be good. stud the heads and mains. good rod bolts. deep oil pan. 1/2" pick-up. do the oil mods for the heads and mains. gear drive. 4.10 gear. 9" vertor. 29x10.5 slick. 2" headers. there is a ton of good used parts out there as racing season is coming to an end for this year so go get them.

A twin turbo SB would be killer at the strip. On the street you'll be in trouble because of spool up and not a full quarter mile. A 440 will leave on a 427 but it will come back toward the end of the quarter mile. I believe a 408 with good heads and cam and a good converter is mandatory in an A body and will beat the 427. 650 HP from a 427 is a really strong motor. I can't see it being a street motor or that much HP for $800. Have you seen the dyno slips? If not, I would bet it doesn't make 650 maybe 550 or 575 at best.

put water or tampons in his gas tank. very cheap and you win. probably wont need to go over 40 mph either to beat him once his car starts to sputter lol

Think' nitrous cam, not running it, lower cr to run the nitrous, nope, that 427 ain't putting out that hp. 408, 4.11 or 4,30. 20.5 or 30 inch tall. 4000 converter. 4 link. Bye bye 427.

Think' nitrous cam, not running it, lower cr to run the nitrous, nope, that 427 ain't putting out that hp. 408, 4.11 or 4,30. 29.5 or 30 inch tall. 4000 converter. 4 link. Bye bye 427.

I could be wrong here but you might all be going in the wrong direction. He said 427 and you all jumped to GM. Ford also made a 427. The SC Cobra Jet motor in the 70's. Hell of a motor stock. Do a little more investigating and find out for sure what motor your brother is running. Good luck.:coffee2:

I could be wrong here but you might all be going in the wrong direction. He said 427 and you all jumped to GM. Ford also made a 427. The SC Cobra Jet motor in the 70's. Hell of a motor stock. Do a little more investigating and find out for sure what motor your brother is running. Good luck.:coffee2:

That would be the 60s the 70s had the 429 not 427.
That said, if its a 427 Cammer motor they have balls and probably the only V8 American motor that cost more money then a Hemi to build.

-
Back