What valve springs should I use?

-
How does the engine behave when it does not 'like' too much advance?
What pistons are this engine? Stock ones? Head gasket thickness or PN? Cam installed straight up or advanced? Tnx: I just like to relate this to numbers....

The pistons are stock 1973 360. Head gaskets are blue felpro #8553pt. I measured .048" on a used set I have. As far as wide open throttle goes, it is hard to describe, it seemed to not want to rev as high with 35 btdc, I could try to advance my total again and find a way to better describe it. What I do know is this engine is not perfect as the stock 360 pistons do not deliver the much desired quench that I plan to build into the 318/360 stroker that I will one day put in the car.

Hi I have almost the same 360 set up you have in the pics on the stand in my girage Zero miles on fresh stock rebuild, Got the motor for a good price, Ok I have 340 X heads for mine, double roller timing chain, Hughes Whiplash cam, lifters, and matched springs, Air gap manifold, still needs finnishing asembly. like yours i have the stock pistons, My question is do you regret leaving the stock slugs, I am on the fence swapping to a set of Hyper, pistons that might stress the compresion needed for my Whiplash cam. What are your thoughts Thanks Scott

If you tried ported and it didn't run right, then you're not adjusting the timing correctly, or there's a problem with the distributor.

If you tried ported and it didn't run right, then you're not adjusting the timing correctly, or there's a problem with the distributor.

Timing is steady with the timing light, that timing tape really makes it easier to see what you have going on. Currently has 15 initial 33 total and starts, idles and goes wot well. I will have to report back after taking a bit more timing out of the vacuum canister, as my distributor I started with is a 70's one, the 22 degrees vacuum advance this pod delivered originally was too much for this setup. I have a feeling that if I would have put in a cam with a bit more duration, it would have loved a lot more timing. But that is just theory, I need to map out my current timing curve, maybe check my current cranking pressure(which I believe is pretty high due to the 216 duration cam), and verify current vacuum advance amount. I will report back.

Hi I have almost the same 360 set up you have in the pics on the stand in my girage Zero miles on fresh stock rebuild, Got the motor for a good price, Ok I have 340 X heads for mine, double roller timing chain, Hughes Whiplash cam, lifters, and matched springs, Air gap manifold, still needs finnishing asembly. like yours i have the stock pistons, My question is do you regret leaving the stock slugs, I am on the fence swapping to a set of Hyper, pistons that might stress the compresion needed for my Whiplash cam. What are your thoughts Thanks Scott

No regrets at all for my situation, made it affordable. BUT, if I were not building a better engine for it down the road, I would have put better pistons in it. This 360 really performs well on the street, not sure if it would like low octane, never tried, I put a small enough amount of miles on my old cars/trucks since I switch between them, that it pays to put 91 non ethanol in the carbed ones to prevent dreaded ethanol sludge.

Well, I ran some SCR and DCR numbers and the DCR is in the 7.2 range with that cam installed straight up (dot-to-dot with a keyways and such perfect)...... it should not be any issue with detonation on 87. That cam is not so long on .050" duration but the ramps are slow and so the .005" duration is relatively long vs. a lot of cams. (But I have used one with even slower ramps than you have....)

Interesting on the reaction to the larger total advance.....

Agreed 1000% on the non-ethanol fuel! But, my son and I found that the Shell V-power ran considerably better in his 10:1 SCR 340 than the local non-ethanol fuel.

-
Back