what was the last year for just lap belts?

-
bought some chrome buckle lap belts for my 67 a few years ago - couldn't find OEM
ones. Anyway, think the lap belt has a tag on it that tells what year you had to start
using sholder belts. 68 I believe, The web site I bought the belts from should also have
that info - just google lap belts and look at one of the vendors that sells them.

I found on the Hamtrack site were the front seat shoulder belts were optional for the convertible in 1968 under 568 shown below. It is interesting that there were shoulder belt options for the rear seats in the fastback and notchback Barracudas and N/A for the convertible.

68_Barracuda0003.jpg

As late as 1971 the convertible shoulder belts were optional.

Now that I am thinking about this it seems like that is why the government forced the end of convertibles with the end of the 1976 production year. C13 again.

71_Barracuda0006.jpg

Not correct. There was no exemption from Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 209 (seat belt assemblies) for "commercial vehicles" -- it sounds like you might have read somebody's misunderstanding of the reason why school, transit, and tour buses aren't required to have seat belts for the passengers.

FMVSS 209 was the first US national vehicle safety standard to take effect, on 1 March 1967. Under FMVSS 209, shoulder belts at each front outboard seating position became mandatory in new passenger vehicles built on or after 1 January 1968. That's "passenger vehicle" as defined in the standard -- some trucks and vans weren't considered passenger vehicles for the purpose of the standard, but no, it is definitely not the case that a passenger car would be exempt from the requirement simply because it was a fleet car, a taxi, or bought for some other commercial purpose.

Shoulder belts were optional equipment in Chrysler Corp vehicles, including A-bodies, as early as 1966. They were standard equipment in Chrysler Corp vehicles made and sold in some other countries even earlier than that. For example, Swiss-built and Australian-built Valiants got nicer, better seat belts considerably earlier than US/Canada cars. In the US/Canada A-bodies, the front shoulder belts were completely separate from the lap belts (with their own buckles -- a total of five buckles making a mess all over the front seat!) through 1971. In 1972 the lap and shoulder belt end fittings were redesigned so they could be clipped together and one single tongue was then fastened into one single buckle. In 1974 was released the "Uni-Belt", Chrysler's name for the now-familiar single belt/single-buckle retractable 3-point belt.
thanks for the info thats what i was looking for i knew someone on fabo could answer this question for me.

-
Back