What were they looking for? BB

-

my5thmopar

Life Long MOPAR Owner
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I got a tip for a 40k BB/727 in a 68 Newport. Engine was complete Thursday when I looked at it. Kinda hidden at the pull a part. I talked to a guy about pulling it. Went back today and got the 8 3/4 and was going to make engine pulling arrangements. Well you know the story... Someone started pulling stuff. Carb and cut the linkage off.

Here is the question...why did they pull the valve covers and then leave it. What were they looking for? Trying to get educated on BB.

Well a 68 BB should not have had adjustable rockers. But somebody thought "something." They probably "didn't know it was there." When you asked about it, the "back room gang" said "hey" maybe we can make a buck

These do-it-yourself pull yards are just like the stock market. The "average joe" doesn't stand a chance.

Maybe someone pull them to see if it had any sludge build up. Might be hard to believe it only has 40k. It's a pull-a-part. Could have been for any reason possible.

The heads were very very clean. Nice shinny metal but, I don't remember adjustable rockers. Inside wasn't even discolored but, the engine was leaking oil every where. For $320 I could have had the eng/trans but the scavengers made me rethink things. Thanks for the schooling.

If its truly 40K machining the block would cost more than $320. I'd go for it. Block could be good to go at standard bore with nothing more than a quick hone and some fresh rings. Maybe nothing needed at all..

im not saying there were adjustable rockers stock. im just saying maybe they were checking for them as thats usually a good sign that it may have other goodies in it

Well....maybe they just wanted the valve cover bolts? LOL Happens to me all the time, if I don't get it when I see it when I return some goof has wrecked the part I wanted to get a dimes worth of something else.
Maybe just checking head #'s my guess.
Always a joy :)

440 was available in the Newport, but quite rare:

http://www.hagerty.com/price-guide/1968-Chrysler-Newport

I've heard of a few...

There is one in my shed, CE23L77xxxxxx.I have had it 16 years. It is a 1967 model, and also a real 440 Magnum, manual steering, no A/C. Disc brakes, Auto, painted top. Somebody wanted a plain Jane race car. Before I got it, it had sat behind a gas station for the previous 17 years. Apparently the owner took it there to get the front end rebuilt. He somehow got committed to a Mental hospital and died. The car languished, and was nearly sold for scrap in 1998. it got saved, runs great, but needs a restoration. Someday,,,,,:cheers:

X2 casting numbers. thats cool u got a wrecking yard with a bigblock.my junkyardI go to has no bigblocks.havent seen one there in the past 15 years ive been goin twice a month.and no old mopars only vans and trucks.when I first started goun there were a bunch of old mopars gotta find a new jy there is like 8 sets of 302 318 heads though.

I could see one cover being pulled for rocker id, sludge, or casting number. Why would pulling both covers be necessary? My guess is someone was planning to pull those heads or had instruction to.

Hey mopardart44067, the Pick-N-Pull here in Fresno has a 73 400 in a 3/4t truck. IT was there yesterday...They've also got a 62 slant laying in the dirt from the Valiant it came from...

Or maybe they wanted the carb and valve covers.

-
Back