What will $3-5000 buy in today's market?

-

dusted72

Thanks Hemiroid!!!!
Reaction score
Ok I just sold my Duster project and alot of my parts and I found out today that I can re-enlist in October and get a bonus of $35k plus. I am gonna pay all my bills off and buy me a driver condition car. Heres is what I am looking for 70-73 Duster, 71-72 Demon, 70-72 Swinger, or 71-73 Scamp. What can I expect to get for that amount of money. Engine isn't a big deal those can be changed out later I just want something that is currently on the road and safe. I will make it a driving project. Thanks

Yeah but then what would you have. Plus I think I would rather have a small block car. I plan to make it my daily driver when it is nice.

I just purchased a 70 Dart Swinger, 58,000 miles, /6 auto, AC (complete but not working) PS , very nice plum crazy paint job, new black vinyl top, black interior, ralleyes almost new tires, put gas in it and drove it home 600 miles, also a 318 with a 904 still attached, /6 to small block motor mounts, small block radiator, 4 bbl intake. the seller threw in the intake and radiator because he accidentally cut the front seat with a razor knife in his back pocket. Car had a few little things to work out but not bad. Very solid with no rust underneath. Drove and rode nice all the way home. Got quite a few thumbs up on the cruise home. Paid $5500 After owning the car for a month I think I got a pretty good deal. This gives you an idea of what cars are going for. Any one out there have any thoughts on my purchase? Always willing to take feedback even if negative. thanks

I know it's not an Abody, but this will be going on sell for $4k or best offer in the next week or so. All the trim and bumpers are now on and polished up and the 440 is getting wired up for the electronic ignition and should come to life for the first time tommorrow. The only thing the car will need is seat covers, carpet kit and weather stripping. The car was really solid to begin with and is now rust free and would be great car to take on cruise night. I think that it is a heck of a deal.

Paint9.jpg

Paint10.jpg

Motor%20installed[1]..jpg

I know it's not an Abody, but this will be going on sell for $4k or best offer in the next week or so. All the trim and bumpers are now on and polished up and the 440 is getting wired up for the electronic ignition and should come to life for the first time tommorrow. The only thing the car will need is seat covers, carpet kit and weather stripping. The car was really solid to begin with and is now rust free and would be great car to take on cruise night. I think that it is a heck of a deal.

My first Mopar was a 66 Sport Fury. I would love to have your car. If it is still around when it comes times to get serious then I will be talking to you.

Seems that desirable rusty junk in the rust belt sells for 2000+.

Out here you can find nice cars, really nice cars, for that kind of money. Problem is that you have to jump on them when available because they don't sit around.

Seems that desirable rusty junk in the rust belt sells for 2000+.

Out here you can find nice cars, really nice cars, for that kind of money. Problem is that you have to jump on them when available because they don't sit around.

I agree with crackedback 100% on this. For $5K out here you could buy a very nice rust free driver and would make for a nice vacation driving it home. I will post a couple of pics of the Fury for you tommorrow with all of the shiny stuff on the car. Looks really good.

Does anybody have any examples of cars they bought in this price range? I would also consider 66 Darts and only 66's. I like the front ends on them.

I actually thought about going to look at this. Here's an affordable Scamp.
http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/1876342353.html

Just looking over the pics really quick on the Scamp....

1.wire holding up exhaust
2.MAJOR rust on the wheel opening area
3. MAJOR rust through around the back glass (almost positive someone has bondo-ed it up before paint also)
4.trunk floor/gas filler appears to be painted in an attempt to hide rust on the wheel housings with rust coming back through the paint (most likely painted over rust here as well in an attempt to hide rust)
5. if the wheel openings and housing area rust completely through there is likely a LOT more rust in other areas as well
6. appears fender tag is missing

Does anybody have any examples of cars they bought in this price range? I would also consider 66 Darts and only 66's. I like the front ends on them.

I bought this one one FABO 6200.00. 24,000 orig. miles, zero, and I mean zero rust, 6 cyl 3 speed on the floor..... have an offer in front of me for 8000.00, my point is you can find a nice car right now, cheeper than ever, if your ready to buy.

100_0474.jpg

100_0472.jpg

100_0470.jpg

I bought this one one FABO 6200.00. 24,000 orig. miles, zero, and I mean zero rust, 6 cyl 3 speed on the floor..... have an offer in front of me for 8000.00, my point is you can find a nice car right now, cheeper than ever, if your ready to buy.

That is a nice car brother. I wish I could find something that clean. I've been searching for a car for my wife and have been greatly disappointed with what we've seen. All I can do is keep looking. I know there's something out there at a good price.

All cars bought or could have been had for under 5K

Garage86.jpg

Picture004.jpg

by3402.jpg

DusterWAZ.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Scamp1.jpg

5969.jpg

None of those cars are rusty by California standards. Very minor issues.

I bought a nice 71 duster on ebay.I cant seem to paste the link. Nice body,paint, dual scoops,spoiler, nice interior, 440,727 and a dana 60 rear. I paid $5000. I think I got a great deal for the price range I had to spend.

That much money will buy about twice the car it would have 2 - 3 years ago. Don't let someone try to sell you something at 2 or 3 year ago prices, it's not what the market is bearing right now.

It's a buyers market right now so you hold the cards. Lot's of cars available but not a lot of buyers. You may have to walk away from a few nice cars but be patient you will find a better car for a better deal.

Chuck

Yeah there are a few cars locally that are nice but still outta my price range. When I get the cash and I am really serious about buying a car I will travel to get the best deal. My dream would be to find a FM3 car in my price range.

I got a 74 swinger last summer very solid car front end completly rebuilt including 383 torsion bars AC auto slant 6 interior very nice Paid 3250 felt like we got a decent deal compared to others we looked at.It is the car in my avatar. We added the sprints.Stay Safe and Thank You

-
Back