What will fit my 8.8 rear with disk brakes

-

Stinktooth

Reaction score
Hey all
I did a 8.8 swap on my 64 valiant and I love the results. I found a spacer to convert the large pattern axle to my small pattern 15" Rallye wheels . They just barely fit without rubbing on the outer edge of the wheel well. The car is a cruiser and was hoping to find out if anyone has tried a 14" steel rim on a 8.8 and did it clear the calipers on the disk brakes? I want to soften the ride a bit and get a little more circumference on the wheel to help lower the rpm on the highway and get a little wider tire to fill the well and of course lose the spacer/adapters.
20200329_194612.jpg

A 14 inch Magnum 500 clears with about 1/4 in to spare on the 8.75 LBP Mustang-based disc conversion I will be using on my 65 Dart

Last edited:
Does the mustang setup use a caliper with built in parking brake? If so, the disc is smaller diameter. The explorer rotor has an integral drum and small shoe brakes for the E brake like the jeep cherokee setup. This makes the rotor a lot bigger, and the caliper stick up more.

Last edited:
I think I may be forced to use a spacer to clear the caliper.
20200325_194458.jpg
I am trying to find a pic with the caliper mounted

I have tried a 14” Factory steel wheel on 8.8 explorer rear, it does not fit. You need at least a 15” wheel.

Does the mustang setup use a caliper with built in parking brake? If so, the disc is smaller diameter. The explorer rotor has an integral drum and small shoe brakes for the E brake like the jeep cherokee setup. This makes the rotor a lot bigger, and the caliper stick up more.

My conversion - thanks to @dodgedifferent2 for the brackets - uses the base Mustang calipers snd rotors. Stock steel wheels as well as stock 14 Rallyes do not fit but the 14 in Magnums 500’s do

Stinktooth which 8.8 axle and brakes are you using? The ford explorer, or a mustang ? This will help to figure this out. Post pix of the brakes as well.

-
Back