what would be the best donor vehicle?

-

swinger74

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post, i searched but never found a definite answer. I have a 70 dodge swinger with no engine/transmission and i would like to swap in a 5.7/6.1 (more likely a 5.7 as they are significantly cheaper. and i am wondering what is the best donor vehicle to look for as i think it would be easiest just to swap everything over. i am wanting to use manual transmission as well. Any idea's what i should be looking for?

Thanks
Ryan

I think it depends a lot on personal preferences and how you plan to set it up. Some people don't like the look of the truck intake and cover so they want a car engine. Others prefer the accessory layout of the truck engine. Some don't like the extra plug wire on the 03-05 5.7 engines and prefer the 06+. Some people avoid engines with MDS, others want to try to keep it. Some don't want an 09+ because of the VVT. If you aren't as picky you are most likely to find the best deal on whatever was most commonly produced in your area.

If you are planning to use the factory computer and an old manual transmission you might want to look for a truck setup or at least the computer from a truck with a manual trans. More truck were built so they are more available.

I ended up buying a 5.7 truck engine and transmission out of a wrecked 05 Ram 2500 with 8000 miles off e-bay for $2000. Some plusses for me personally are that it does not have EGR, the 05 computer allows for good tuning options, it doesn't have MDS if I want to up the output in the future, I should be able to run a manual fan, and with some floorpan surgery I was able to get a modern overdrive trans. I'm happy with what I have, but if the right deal would have came along I might have bought something totally different.

In my opinion, a new hemi swap is generally not easy if you want to keep it cheap and is not very cheap if you want it to be easy.
I'm trying to do some things on a very tight budget so I have to do more work in some areas where others might just spend the money to save time and make it easier that way.
How you choose to wire it and whether or not you go with a carb or EFI make a big difference in this area.

thank you for the reply, so pretty much the best donor vehicle will be what ever i can find for the cheapest? also how difficult was the trans tunnel surgery? i will be keeping the efi on the hemi. what mpg's are you seeing?

I wish I had mine on the road to tell you my mpg. I've had it running to test my wiring, but right now I'm working on paint and body work and am far from getting it back on the road. Given that I can get 20 on the highway with my 04 Durango, I'm expecting at least 25 and possibly more.

I had to widen the tunnel about 5 inches and lengthen it some as well as make a custom mount setup. There is good info in this thread: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=120972

One guy on here had a 5.7 with an 833 setup that I think was non OD, and I believe he said he was pulling around 20 mpg on a highway trip with 3.55 gears. Throw in an OD trans and I bet you'd see 25+.

sounds like pretty decent MPG, i have been tossing around the idea of using an Alterkation front end and if i use that and no longer have the torsion bars will that make the challenger 6 speed an easier option? as ive been looking at engine/tranny combo's online with the 5.7 and viper transmission

The Alter K is a great setup, it opens up options for exhaust, and saves 150#'s. As for tranny's, get the one you want and make the floor fit. Modifying the tunnel is not hard, and if you do a lousy job, nobody will see it...

thank you for the reply, so pretty much the best donor vehicle will be what ever i can find for the cheapest? also how difficult was the trans tunnel surgery? i will be keeping the efi on the hemi. what mpg's are you seeing?

Mine on the way home from the Nats doing 75 mph 3.55 gear and 833 4speed no over drive i got 19mpg on a 260 mile trip

-
Back