what would it really take?

-

lvchris

Reaction score
I am new here and also very new to doing anything with cars other than drive them. I recently bought a 74 duster and have been working on it for about three weeks now and having lots of fun spending time with my 13 year old son working on it. We got some minor wiring fixed and got it running, and have been cleaning it up when he gets out of school and on the week ends. a few days ago we (with the help of a friend) pulled the motor and transmission and are in the process of rebuilding it. With that said ( so you all realize im really just reading how to do every little thing and dont have a clue on my own) but I am learning. I have found a 72 duster here locally for sale that has been used only for drag racing and i am sitting here wondering what would it take to transform this drag car into a street car? I do realize in has no interior and no gauges and that would take some time to track down all the pieces , but besides that what would need to be done as far as the motor and transmission etc.. is this to big of a project for a beginner? here is the link to the cl add if you would like to see the car and read the info. I hope this isn't a silly question :)

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/2888057353.html

thanks for taking your time to read and possible reply

What are your plans for the '74?
Welcome aboard, glad to have you here:cheers:
C

I wouldn't do it, either. While that my be a good deal for a racer (I wouldn't know), It's basically a shell for your purposes, and you'd need another complete parts car to make it right. And no, not all of your '74 interior parts will work, unless you wanted a bastardazation.

It sounds like the '74 is well on it's way to being a good street cruiser. I'd learn on and finish that, and something better suited to your needs will pop in time.

thanks for the replies. clhyer, the 74 I am planning on giving to my son when he turns 16, as far as the car itself i we are just going to clean it up best we can,get a decent paintjob redo the interior etc. and hopefully it will be a nice first car for him. Goin to just keep it simple and try to learn the basics. Thanks again for the input guys

I agree that taking a "Race car" back to a street friendly status is a big chore and probably on the level of not worth the effort. The one you listed is really nice and it could be done easy enuff. The interior and such is easy. It's just money spent on line or in a catalog. Installing gauges really isn't to hard for a new guy to do. They could all be done in aftermarket units.

The next big pain is the drive train. This is where the balanced gets tip in favor of a different car. Re-doing a drive train for the street is going to cost a lot of money on top of what it all ready needs.

If you don't mind throwing money at a problem, then it is a OK car to do.

Perhaps you can get the car and just enjoy it at the track only as a track only car.

I agree with the posters above. Although initiallly it appears a simple job, the number of parts, and their cost to track them down, ship them in, and install them would make it not feasible. Especially true at the selling price of the car in question, in which you are paying mainly for the existing drivetrain.

For around the same initial price, you probably can watch these boards, find a nice clean running, driving, licenseable car, and still have it shipped your location.

Good luck on the project, and nice to see you have your son involved!

Grant

i would focus on the project at hand. it will be a great learning experience. and once completed ,you can move on to another project that may be a little more challenging. this hobby can get expensive , especially with a mopar. and welcome, dont forget the pics we love car ****.

For the price, it's tempting. Rust free Duster bodies don't grow on trees these days.
For your skill level, i would say finish what you have and then go from there.

Hey lvchris. Welcome to FABO from SoCal. You're going to have fun here.
I suggest you and your son, and the rest of the family too, come on out to the "Moparty At The Strip" at Las Vegas Raceway in mid-April. You'll get a chance to see one of the biggest all-Mopar events in the west with both a great show field and drag racing. You'll also get a chance to visit with any number of vendors to see what's available on the aftermarket and what prices are like.
If you get a chance, and you get there before noon on Friday or Saturday, look me up and say "hi". My club, Inland Mopars (from SoCal) will be parking the show field cars. My wife and I will be parking the A-bodies so we'll be easy to find.
I hope you get a chance to get out to the Moparty - it's a great event and you'll get a ton of ideas for your build.

Hey lvchris. Welcome to FABO from SoCal. You're going to have fun here.
I suggest you and your son, and the rest of the family too, come on out to the "Moparty At The Strip" at Las Vegas Raceway in mid-April. You'll get a chance to see one of the biggest all-Mopar events in the west with both a great show field and drag racing. You'll also get a chance to visit with any number of vendors to see what's available on the aftermarket and what prices are like.
If you get a chance, and you get there before noon on Friday or Saturday, look me up and say "hi". My club, Inland Mopars (from SoCal) will be parking the show field cars. My wife and I will be parking the A-bodies so we'll be easy to find.
I hope you get a chance to get out to the Moparty - it's a great event and you'll get a ton of ideas for your build.

Thanks buddy, we have been planning on goin. Hope to meet you out there :)

For the price, it's tempting. Rust free Duster bodies don't grow on trees these days.
For your skill level, i would say finish what you have and then go from there.

yeah thats the part that got me thinking, the car looks great and i havent seen a whole lot of 72's out here locally for an affordable price. But im pretty sure i am goin to follow everyones advise and finish the first project before taking on another :)

-
Back