What would it take...

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
to 're-body' a '73-'74 Duster into a '70-'72?

I mean, beyond the obvious - tail panel, fenders, hood, grille, bumpers. Are there different brackets for things, different mounting points etc.

Just curious, got to thinking about it since the later models seem to be more readily available than the early ones. Plus they tend to be a little cheaper.

Greg

My brother made his 75 duster into a 72 demon. It is not hard you just need the parts. We used a parts car. Trying to pece every thing together can be done but will be a paine in the butt.

Tail panel, hood, grill and front bumper mainly. They are repoping new tail panels now, but they do not come with the inner brackets needed for the tail light assembly.

If you are considering the conversion to a '72, I have an extra set of those brackets in fair shape, would let go cheap...

Another difference, although I don't know how noticeable it would be is at the lower rear edge of the rear quarter. On the earlier models there was an "ear" that stuck out that wasn't used on the later models. If you didn't change out the rear bumper this would be a "non-issue".
C

The early bumpers are much better looking, I'd definitely change those out.

The later bumpers are big and ugly, they altered the whole look of the car with those silly 5mph monstrosities.

Are the fenders the same? I've been looking at pics, they seem very similar.

doors are different on the int of the car if that matters to ya.

They are repoping new tail panels now, but they do not come with the inner brackets needed for the tail light assembly.

i was looking at a repop from amd demon tail panel at carlisle and i asked the guy about the tailight brackets on the inside. he lookedat me like i had 2 heads and was like i don't know...lol

The earlier ones are metal just like your 65 on the upper portion instead of plastic door panels on the later.

On the inner doors, the vinyl panel goes all the way up, it doesn't have the metal header at the top like the earlier ones.
It took me awhile to respond, mid post I had to show some pics to my sister.

im thinkin of converting my 73 Dart Sport to a Duster. i got all the parts lined up. its a basic even trade all my parts for all the other. my hood fenders tail panel grill and bumpers for his. but what i wanna know is on the fenders do the front panels bolt up in different locations. for instance a 72 swinger fender will not fit the front panel that bolts in by the radiator is 1/2 inch too short. will Dusters fit right in and bolt up to do i need to reweld those brackets in the header panel on my Dart. id like to know up front. if any one knows infrorm me thatd be swell

On the inner doors, the vinyl panel goes all the way up, it doesn't have the metal header at the top like the earlier ones.
It took me awhile to respond, mid post I had to show some pics to my sister.

door handles are also in a different location on the inside on the newer door..

door handles are also in a different location on the inside on the newer door..

If you put early doors on, would the latch mechanism/striker line up?

I've been looking around at early parts, they seem to be in decent supply. Scamps and Valiants also share the same sheet metal at least up front which allows for more abundant choices.

I've also seen a thread where a responder said you would need the earlier hood latch and filler panel between the grille and rad. support. True?

The wheels are turning...

-
Back