What would you do? Slant performance

-
Thank you for that. I started to read it yesterday and got about half way through.
Wow! Lotta changes over the years. I tried to keep track of what you did but....there's too much. Do you have a Cliff's Notes version of what you learned and what you have today?

I think Junior's car is especially interesting because it uses OEM cast pistons and OEM rods. He says he thinks it may work well with up to 30 pounds of boost, that way, IF the "tune" is correct (A/F ratio and igntition timing) to preclude detonation. This would, of course, include a supply of gasoline of the required octane. Detonation is what does the damage to these engines.

I don't know whether his engine has O-Rings, but, I think it does not. Not sure about that.

But, if you can do that (keep it away from detonation,) there's no real need for $1,100.00-worth of forged pistons and rods.

He may well be right. We'll see...:coffee2:

no cliff notes. ive spent some time on the head and put oversized valves valves in. running an hx35 for a turbo and cruise with 22psi on the stock rotating assembly. have had it up to 25psi with no problems. i dialed it back to 22psi to keep from spinning the tires on the highway. i have no doubt in my mind that it will hold 30psi on stock internals with the right tune and fuel. ive only ran on pump 93. some 110-112 should be sound insurance. ill figure it out one day. dont have the traction at the moment to make it worth testing at this point.

no cliff notes. ive spent some time on the head and put oversized valves valves in. running an hx35 for a turbo and cruise with 22psi on the stock rotating assembly. have had it up to 25psi with no problems. i dialed it back to 22psi to keep from spinning the tires on the highway. i have no doubt in my mind that it will hold 30psi on stock internals with the right tune and fuel. ive only ran on pump 93. some 110-112 should be sound insurance. ill figure it out one day. dont have the traction at the moment to make it worth testing at this point.

Junior, what kind of exhaust system are you running before the turbo? Is it a bolted on J-Pipe? If so, what is the diameter of the pipe?

Inquiring minds want to know... :blob:

Yes, but...to be fair...is he running the same tires they were running back then? Wasn't traction a big(ger) issue back then? What could they have done on better tires?

(NOT to detract from Ryan Peterson's car - it's very cool!)

One perfotmance statistic that doesn't change a lot when you put bigger (wider) tires on a car is the trap speed. It can have a big effect on the elapsed time, and the MPH won't change much at all.

In that vein, look at the trapspeed of that slant six; 127+mph....

None of the hemi cars, much less the wedge Stockers and Super Stockers were anywhere near that fast, in the mid-'60s...IIRC.

And, that's on 28 pounds of boost. He has told me that he has experimented with as much as 37 pounds, without incident.
:wack:
These slants are T-O-U-G-H!!!!! :cheers:

Lol Bill, you sir are, the Master of self defication!!! I sure hope you don't scatter that
mill anytime soon, your car's too cool to be sittin' around waiting for round two, and we're all
waiting to see what she'll do this season too!! :):) Here's to good luck and quick times :coffee2:

There, I fixed it for you.

Sorry Bill. I couldn't help myself. It was too wide open. lol

stock manifold, gasket matched, flapper removed and cleaned up as far in as i could get with sand paper rolls. 2 1/4" opening on the manifold. same size j-pipe/pishta pipe. 27" of 3" flex pipe for the down pipe.

stock manifold, gasket matched, flapper removed and cleaned up as far in as i could get with sand paper rolls. 2 1/4" opening on the manifold. same size j-pipe/pishta pipe. 27" of 3" flex pipe for the down pipe.

Thanks! That picture is very self-explanatory.... Looks GOOD!

I think Junior's car is especially interesting because it uses OEM cast pistons and OEM rods. He says he thinks it may work well with up to 30 pounds of boost, that way, IF the "tune" is correct (A/F ratio and igntition timing) to preclude detonation. This would, of course, include a supply of gasoline of the required octane. Detonation is what does the damage to these engines.

But, if you can do that (keep it away from detonation,) there's no real need for $1,100.00-worth of forged pistons and rods.

It is worth noting that all TurboI 2.2&2.5L Mopars used cast pistons, and the upgrade
controllers MP sold upped the boost from 7 to 11psi, providing you used the best premium
pump fuel. Those engines have a much better fast-burn chamber design, both the double
squish 1st gen bathtub and high-swirl heart shape 2nd gen versions. They also weren't
drag racing oriented, unlike the current topic, and heat build-up on a roadcourse WILL
kill a set of cast pistons even w/o detonation. The slanty is "blessed" w/a piston the
size of a can of baked beans, and the ring package is well below the crown, this will
tolerate more heat build-up(short term) than modern pistons w/o melting down.
But getting more power from those tiny cyls. means hi BMEP and temps, and there is
a limit even to the slanty pistons in cast form, hopefully RustyPlymouth doesn't find it
in a catastrophic manner. Starting over from scratch heads and all sucks, good luck RP
:coffee2:

Just got a flier in the mail from MO-KAN dragway that might be of interest to slant six fans who are in driving distance (it's near Joplin, Missouri.) The race is a special "race within a race" on Friday and Saturday, April 8th and 9th. There's a general MOPAR race on that Sunday,

The "Race-within-a-Race" is for slant six cars and has several financial benefits, some of which are really welcome to those of us who pursue horsepower from the leaning tower of power...

IF, your /6 car has forced induction, there's $75.00 waiting for you if you just stage the car during the first round of eliminations.

There is a bracket race with $200.00 to win and $100.00 runner-up, both days.

There is a $100.00 "long-distance" award...

Please correct any mistakes you see on here, if you got the same flier....

I think we owe Mark at MO-KAN a great big THANKS for this wonderful program he has come up with! It's not often that slant sixes get this kind of support! I am going to try really hard to make that race, even though it's 250 miles from here...

My car is pretty much ready... weather is the only thing that might stand in my way... we'll see.

Thanks, so much, Mark!!!

-
Back