What would you do? Slant performance

-
Lol Bill, you sir are, the Master of self deprecation!! I sure hope you don't scatter that
mill anytime soon, your car's too cool to be sittin' around waiting for round two, and we're all
waiting to see what she'll do this season too!! :):) Here's to good luck and quick times :coffee2:

Lol Bill, you sir are, the Master of self deprecation!! I sure hope you don't scatter that
mill anytime soon, your car's too cool to be sittin' around waiting for round two, and we're all
waiting to see what she'll do this season too!! :):) Here's to good luck and quick times :coffee2:

Thanks so much for the kind words! I am not so much "self-deprecating" as I am realistic; I have a fun project car that I am enjoying seeing run some numbers that make it competitive with lots of V8 cars, and I have barely scratched the surface, running very conservative boost-levels, so far...

My online friend, Junior, says I haven't even gotten into the boost levels that provide the real "thrills" that this combination should be capable of... Talk's cheap; we'll see...

This thing has O-Rings, GOOD oil-pressure from a heavy-duty pump, a Moroso 3-quart accumulator (Accu Sump) and and a mild, 5,500 RPM redline, so, maybe I won't hurt it anytime soon.... more speculation through rose-colored glasses.... LOL!

I keep getting obituaries about people I have known all my life, who are younger then me (I'm 77) and it gives me pause...

And, here I am, trying to make 500 horsepower out of a 52-year-old economy engine...

I must be nuts...

i would turbocharge a slant in a heart beat. went the milled head, cam, headers and hyper pac. wasnt impressed. turbocharged it and still can not believe the power it makes.

i would turbocharge a slant in a heart beat. went the milled head, cam, headers and hyper pac. wasnt impressed. turbocharged it and still can not believe the power it makes.

What were your numbers w/the Hyper-mill, wt., equip., etc.?

The whole swap in a v8 thing isn't a cheap task either. It's a big parts list on slant car. Round here that stuff isn't laying around in wrecking yards anymore. V8 904, 8.25 or 8.75 diff , radiator, 318 or 360 that will probably need to be refreshed, k member or mount kit, exhaust work...will it it need heavier torsion bars?

It adds up with slant cars right quick to swap to a v8.

I'd rather just sell it and find a v8 car. Maybe if I had more than my garage to stash the parts hoard and more room to do the work.

I built a 225 shot peened crank truck motor with a .125 milled off block and head combined. 9.5 compression. Runs on 93 perfectly. Manley pro flow valves, .464 cam 276* 340 springs
Ported head, lightened and balanced crank by 20 lbs. Originally 87lbs
Had to bore 60 over , room for more believe it or not. Lots of meat on the blocks
The lower end is pretty much stock, except ARP studs everywhere, head included
Hyperpack manifold, eddy 600, shorty headers, electronic ignition, 32* total timing
2.5'' dual exhaust down to 2.25 tails
274 hp at flywheel 4800 rpm on dyno
Torque 290 a little earlier on
150 hp at 2000 rpm
Running 3.23 and low gear '65 a833 tranny
Msd 6al
Small lock fuel pump with adapted / arm
Blast to drive in a 2600 lb lancer
Light and handles awesomely
$5000 with all including clutch
$3000 in parts
It ain't cheap.
BTW it sounds like my 69 340S cuda

Nice! And all they can say is get a 360??? Why not go 440 or more? Gets pretty boring after awhile.

What were your numbers w/the Hyper-mill, wt., equip., etc.?

a whopping 17.7. 66 valiant v100. 2dr post. what ever that weighs. 3 on the tree, 8 1/4 rear with 3.21's.

with the turbo im having traction issues. best run so far has been a 14.4@102 spinning the tires the top half of every gear. that was on 14psi. ive since turned up my setup to 25psi max but cruise with it set to 22psi. all stock internals. hx35 turbo, front mount intercooler, 600 holley double pumper and a stock exhaust manifold. once i clear up my traction issue there is no doubt in my mind that i should be able to turn a sub teen quarter mile run with ease.

[ame]https://youtu.be/7zzODTFqLTU[/ame]
this is what i would love to do on mine.

a whopping 17.7. 66 valiant v100. 2dr post. what ever that weighs. 3 on the tree, 8 1/4 rear with 3.21's.
best run so far has been a 14.4@102

Your ride would've been 2600# w/o a full tank & yourself, and a 170, what was mph w/hyper
set-up? Was that a 170, or 225? As far as your 14psi run, that is already 12.8 territory if
you get gearing and traction worked out. Still running that 3spd? May be a tough row to hoe
for a best ET/mph .

As for those air filters 64DartGTinAZ, grab any motorcycle catalog, probably as many options
as you can imagine. Plenty of foreign car aftermarket as well.
:coffee2:

Your ride would've been 2600# w/o a full tank & yourself, and a 170, what was mph w/hyper
set-up? Was that a 170, or 225? As far as your 14psi run, that is already 12.8 territory if
you get gearing and traction worked out. Still running that 3spd? May be a tough row to hoe
for a best ET/mph .
:coffee2:

i dont remember the mph. i think it was around 70-75. im running a 225. still running the 3 speed, its not as bad as everyone says. may not be as fast to shift as a floor shift setup but its not far off.

Sounds like you were working w/stk. valves, that mph is pretty low. No matter now
that you're force-feeding it. The thing that is repeated w/these threads is," I want more
power from my /6", and half the responses are "it won't run 12's unless you...", was the
OP looking to go 12's? Not w/those rollers pictured for sure. What is your goal?, should
really be the first reply, seeing as that vali-wagon is prob. lucky to get in the 21's as is.
I dunno,....boat canker sounds contagious, I'd avoid that.

Nice! And all they can say is get a 360??? Why not go 440 or more? Gets pretty boring after awhile.

Some people have a limited imagination... The norm is, swap a V-8 into an A body for "instant gratification."

That's the norm because not very many people have seen what a slant six can do when it's supercharged or turbocharged.

It SEEMS like, swapping a small-block V8 into a Duster, Dart or early Barracuda is the easy way to go, but, it may not be as easy nor cheap as it used to be. You can make sufficient power out of a boosted 225 to give most V-8's a run for their money without breaking the bank.
Finding all the parts for this popular V-8 swap isn't getting any easier...

And, with a forced-induction 225, you end up with a much more interesting, unusual car. V-8 A bodies are almost a cliche'.

I think that as the number of boosted slants increases, the engine-swaps will not seem so desirable. The potential of a boosted slant motor has been a too-well-kept secret, for too long.

I also think that the difficulty of swapping a "big block" of any kind, into an A body, has developed a reputation for creating problem areas that has discouraged a lot of potential swaps of that nature. The 100+ NHRA-bound, 1968 Super Stock A bodies were "farmed-out" because the RB Hemi into an A body effort, was a genuine "shoehorn" project that the factory didn't want to mess with. And, the factory has capabilities that you and I can only dream of... LOL!

Rant mode "off." :glasses7:

Some people have a limited imagination... The norm is, swap a V-8 into an A body for "instant gratification."

That's the norm because not very many people have seen what a slant six can do when it's supercharged or turbocharged.

It SEEMS like, swapping a small-block V8 into a Duster, Dart or early Barracuda is the easy way to go, but, it may not be as easy nor cheap as it used to be. You can make sufficient power out of a boosted 225 to give most V-8's a run for their money without breaking the bank.
Finding all the parts for this popular V-8 swap isn't getting any easier...

And, with a forced-induction 225, you end up with a much more interesting, unusual car. V-8 A bodies are almost a cliche'.

I think that as the number of boosted slants increases, the engine-swaps will not seem so desirable. The potential of a boosted slant motor has been a too-well-kept secret, for too long.

I also think that the difficulty of swapping a "big block" of any kind, into an A body, has developed a reputation for creating problem areas that has discouraged a lot of potential swaps of that nature. The 100+ NHRA-bound, 1968 Super Stock A bodies were "farmed-out" because the RB Hemi into an A body effort, was a genuine "shoehorn" project that the factory didn't want to mess with. And, the factory has capabilities that you and I can only dream of... LOL!

Rant mode "off." :glasses7:

I resisted the rant myself, but just had to say something. Normally Aspirated 274 HP out of a 225 /6. That is like 340 territory, and still the "put a 360 in it" that the OP clearly said he did not want. The 440 poke was, why stop at a 360 when you can get even more potential. I personally have had, and still have almost, every configuration of "A" body except a 426 Hemi. Loved every one from the 170 to the 383. In my opinion, one size does not fit all.

I resisted the rant myself, but just had to say something. Normally Aspirated 274 HP out of a 225 /6. That is like 340 territory, and still the "put a 360 in it" that the OP clearly said he did not want. The 440 poke was, why stop at a 360 when you can get even more potential. I personally have had, and still have almost, every configuration of "A" body except a 426 Hemi. Loved every one from the 170 to the 383. In my opinion, one size does not fit all.

Sometimes it's interesting just to ask yourself, "What IF?"

For example, WHAT IF.... Ryan Peterson's little 1966 Valiant ( modified as it exists, now,) had shown up as the Chrysler factory was assembling their armada of Stage II and Stage III wedge and Hemi vehicles to do battle with the best from Ford and G.M.?

I worked at an NHRA drag strip as a Stiocker tech, classifying cars in, and vividly remember the 6-Pack 440s for the street, running 13.50s, and the street hemi-powered B-bodies running a tad slower at 13.80s, miles behind this little Valiant. The out-and-out race cars, such as the 426 Heni with the crossram intake that they put into the A body Darts and Barracudas in 1968 were low-11-second performers. And, these were the cream of the srop... Ma Mopar had never built anything as fast as these cars... Never...

And, Ryan Peterson's home-brewed slant six powered '66 Valiant would have put them ALL on the trailer, including the Vaunted Z-11 427 Chevys and Fords mighty 427 Thunderbolt.

None of those "killer" Super Stock, factory race cars could keep up with this "shadetree" modified economy car....

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QzUfV8iTpQ"]Turbo Slant Six 10.74 @ 127 mph 7-19-10 - YouTube[/ame]

So, what do you think might have happened if Ryan had showed up with a slant six that was 90-pecent smaller than those 427s, and showed them ALL the way home?

Sure, his engine has a turbo on it, but that inline "economy" engine is just over HALF the size of the N/A 427's...

I thik it might have changed history; the "mighty" Hemi might not have looked so "mighty" if it couldn't keep up with a single 4bl, automatic slant six...

Might have given Tom Hoover apoplexy... LOL!

All that work to make those huge Hemi heads fit on the RB motor, only to get outrun by an "economy" motor, just over half the size of the darling of the Ramchargers... LOL!

Well, it never happened, but, it COULD have... except, Ryan Peterson wasn't born, yet... :eek:ops:

Fun to think about, though...:blob:

For example, WHAT IF.... Ryan Peterson's little 1966 Valiant ( modified as it exists, now,) had shown up as the Chrysler factory was assembling their armada of Stage II and Stage III wedge and Hemi vehicles to do battle with the best from Ford and G.M.?

I worked at an NHRA drag strip as a Stocker tech, classifying cars, and vividly remember the 6-Pack 440s for the street, running 13.50s, and the street hemi-powered B-bodies running a tad slower at 13.80s, miles behind this little Valiant. The out-and-out race cars, such as the 426 Hemi with the crossram intake that they put into the A body Darts and Barracudas in 1968 were low-11-second performers, originally. And, these were the cream of the crop... Ma Mopar had never built anything as fast as these cars at that time... Never...

And, Ryan Peterson's home-brewed slant six powered '66 Valiant would have put them ALL on the trailer, including the vaunted, lightweight Z-11 427 Chevys and Fords mighty 427 Thunderbolt/Fairlane.

None of those "killer" Super Stock, factory race cars could keep up with this "shadetree" modified economy car from South Dakota....

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QzUfV8iTpQ"]Turbo Slant Six 10.74 @ 127 mph 7-19-10 - YouTube[/ame]

So, what do you think might have happened if Ryan had showed up with a slant six that was 90-pecent smaller than those 427s, and showed them ALL the way home?

Sure, his engine has a turbo on it, but that inline "economy" engine is just over HALF the size of the N/A 427's...

I think it might have changed history; the "mighty" Hemi might not have looked so "mighty" if it couldn't keep up with a single 4bl, automatic, slant six...

Might have given Tom Hoover (R.I.P.) apoplexy... LOL!

All that work to make those huge Hemi heads fit on the RB motor, only to get outrun by an "economy" motor, just over half the size of the darling of the Ramchargers... LOL! I won't even mention that on street rubber, a Hellcat is no match oir this leaning tower of power...

Well, it never happened, but, it COULD have... except, Ryan Peterson wasn't born, yet... :eek:ops:

Fun to think about, though...:blob:

Get a used Holset Hy35 turbo and rebuild if necessary. Make or buy a J pipe with a T3 turbo flange. Change the waste gate to one that opens at 6 to 8 psi instead of the stock 20+ psi. Find a junk yard intercooler that fits. Get a carb hat and a 2 barrel carb modified for a blow through turbo. Plumb it up.

I bet a DIY setup like this would make 220+ hp and 300+ torque. Lots more if you turn up the boost.

Get a used Holset Hy35 turbo and rebuild if necessary. Make or buy a J pipe with a T3 turbo flange. Change the waste gate to one that opens at 6 to 8 psi instead of the stock 20+ psi. Find a junk yard intercooler that fits. Get a carb hat and a 2 barrel carb modified for a blow through turbo. Plumb it up.

I bet a DIY setup like this would make 220+ hp and 300+ torque. Lots more if you turn up the boost.

Where is the "like" button?

Yes, but...to be fair...is he running the same tires they were running back then? Wasn't traction a big(ger) issue back then? What could they have done on better tires?

(NOT to detract from Ryan Peterson's car - it's very cool!)

Yes, but...to be fair...is he running the same tires they were running back then? Wasn't traction a big(ger) issue back then? What could they have done on better tires?

(NOT to detract from Ryan Peterson's car - it's very cool!)

I think Ryan runs 8.5"-wide tires. The factory teams wore 7-inch slicks, not a lot of difference, but, some.

I don't think another inch and a half would have made up the difference; Ryan's car is too much faster...

Just my 2-cents...

-
Back