What would you do with my Duster?

-

sbh126

Reaction score
I picked up a complete duster minus engine/trans with the intension of dropping an engine in and having a driver for awhile and eventually reselling for profit. I then bought a 77 new yorker with a 440 727 combo with intensions of using it as my donor car. The engine runs good, No knocks, leaks, smoke, or anything and the trany shifts great. I was planning on pulling the engine, Pressure washing, throw some paint on it and top it off with chrome valve covers and air cleaner. Now I'm having second thoughts. The car originally had a 383. would I be better off finding a 383 to put in and just sell the new yorker for what I paid for it? Or should I go ahead with the 440. I'm a little worried If I'll have enough power. After buying the new yorker I found out that the post 72 440's had low compression and were hurting for hp. I know I could rebuild it but I dont want to put the time and money into something I dont plan on keeping. What would you guys do in my shoe's?

if the new yorker is in good shape, i would leave it all together and sell it. if its a rust bucket, you might as well use the parts for your duster. i think a 383 would be a big expense. the 440 could always be built up later on for more power, or with the low compression it would be a perfect candidate for a turbo or nitrous. if the new yorker is really decent, i guess i would look for a 360 to stuff in the duster as they seem to be the most economical choice for motor builds.

-
Back