What would YOU do?

-

PaulRM

Reaction score
This is NOT about any member here. It happened on another (not E-Bay) site.
Made a deal with (no names) about a month ago for some parts. Some were to be shipped to me here in Canada and some to an address in the state of Maine which is close by.
Some did come to me at the house and quite quickly. Unfortunately, the rest, which is about 90% of the order has not arrived in Maine as of yesterday when I went down to get other parts from a member here (which were in and just great) and check on the other (no names) parts; which were not.
I had/have been in touch with him from time-to-time and he had assured me that the parts were shipped[I did not even think to question him and ask for shipping numbers etc.--trusting]. About a week ago, was the last time I spoke to him. As he had been on holidays he asked I call him on a date that was good for him. He would track everything down! Called him and got his voice mail on both numbers (cell and business). Asked him to call me. No response. Called a couple of other times; same thing. Called last time last evening. Did not leave my message.
Without wanting to smear his name (as he did send some of the parts and quickly-I believe he has some honor) and not doing anything that uses a firearm, what would you suggest? Paul P.s. money sent to his business account, so there would be a record of his receiving it. BTW, I did not haggle on price of parts and shipping as I felt it was "fair" and even rounded the amount up a few dollars in his favor to cover his calls etc.

Well it takes about 2 weeks to get things from the U.S. from the time it was sent out that is what I have found.Its always tough to get results.You could ask him for your money back if he hiw honest he will,or see if someone here that could be close to him and go and see whats up.I have to admit every time I buy something like this I worry about it.I hope it all works out there should be a tracking # somewere he did send some parts so he is true to his word.Did you see all the parts he had for.Good luck dude.

I think getting the shipping #'s is a good idea, at least you could check with the shipper to see if the part where shipped. Hopefully things work out in your favor and the parts are just delayed.

Hey Paul, here's my usual policy when buying or selling. When I make a deal for something, I will make the payment as directed by the sellers instructions. I will request that it be sent through a company who can provide a tracking number to check the progress of the transaction. If that is not provided, I will frequently check with the seller at intervals of 7 days, 14 days, 21 days and one month from the time my payment is sent. I will request the status of the transaction with an open and courteous attitude to keep the lines of communication open. If at the end of 30 days I have not received my items, I will message back and include the timeline of correspondence as a reminder that I have been monitoring the status regularly. If I do not receive a response after 30 days, I will request that a return of my purchase price be initiated ASAP, and that the deal is no longer considered active. I always pay by either Paypal if possible or by postal money order to back up my end of the deal should the transaction fall through. Either way, after 30 days, the seller should be reminded that one month is ample time to complete his end of the deal, and that my patience is running out. If all else fails, go to the post office if by postal money order or to Paypal if payment has been made through them and get the ball rolling to recoup your payment. Then message the seller and inform them that you have initiated a payment recovery claim and give them a chance to respond. If they do not, follow through with the instructions of your payment method and do not waver until you have received your refund in full. I hope it does not come to this, and usually after you message with the timeline of 30 days, they will see themselves as the source of the holdup and effect the delivery of your items. Good luck and I hope it all turns out in your favor, Geof

Recently I sent my son in the Netherlands an Express package. Since it was mailed Express it had a tracking number. Mailed it on a Thursday, left the US on Friday and arrive in Holland Saturday. It sat in customs till the following Friday!!! He got it on Saturday. The US Post Office did their job, the holdup was in Dutch customs. Not a very fast express for the money I spent!

You guys gotta keep in mind that he had these parts sent to an address in the U.S. There should be not more than 5 days transit with whatever method the seller chose to ship by. Heck, I could carry them on by back to Maine in 2 weeks!!! I could see them being held up in customs if it were crossing the border, but in the U.S. we have no such "custom". Good luck, Geof

Oh, sorry. I guess I didn't catch that. Well, with my recent experience with USPS,UPS,and fed-ex. They have been messing up a lot all year for me and my friend. But, there shouldn't be a problem with getting your parts shipped inside our own country. I hope things go well for you. You should call the shipping company and give them both addresses and see if you can track anything that way. You should be able to find out something. Good luck. I hope things work out for you.

My parents have sent letters to me from ALberta that have taken 10 days to get to me in Montana ... and they touch each other. My brother sent me a package that took several weeks. If there is a major delay, I would be willing to bet it is at Customs. I've had packages opened and inspected before, which adds time.

Paul - I have had a money order from Calgary to Saskatoon take 21 business days and I have had parcels take four weeks to get to buyers down south assumming you are doing the transactions through "SNAIL MAIL". Fed Ex and Purolator take usually a week - don't use UPS they are a rip off with their extra charges.

Thanks guys for all the opinions on this. I just checked my transaction bank record to find that I got the " ball rolling", i.e. got the money order and mailed same away on March 07, 2009. I just got off the phone (2:17 my time) and left a message saying I was in Maine yesterday; no parts. Told him I know he is an honorable guy so why not do the right thing and at least call me! I'm thinking if I don't hear from him in 24hours then I will go public and mention his name and ask for someone in his area to get me a list of suppliers (as he is a business person). I would even consider taking out an ad in his local paper (being very careful not to slander him of course). I hope it doesn't come to this but it was just about $1300.00 Canadian dollars.

This is a tough one. On the one hand, I have ordered & shipped alotof stuff through the mail, & sometimes it can take a LOT longer than you normally expect. But in my experience, EVERY time I, or one of my friends has been burned, the first sign of trouble is when the communication stops. I would be pretty uneasy right about now.

Well, my faith in human beings has been restored... I think. In addition to calling the person who owes me a goodly number of parts I e-mailed him also. Just today, he e-mails me back saying the balance of the small parts are shipped and quotes a UPS tracking number (good so far although I haven't had time to follow up yet) and he is in the process of getting me the tracking number for the larger parts (which will be shipped to Maine). With this new-found faith, I don't feel the need to mention his name or business in any sort of bad light. I continue to trust him although my trust was sorely tested.
Thanks for all the suggestions put forth here.
Cheers.... Paul

This saga continues. I received the shipping number for what turned out to be.... a camshaft only. I feel like I got the shaft on about 75% of the order. I spoke to him on the phone about 4 days ago. He sounded surprised I haven't got the other parts yet (yah right) and said that as soon as he gets to his shop, he will find out what's going on. More e-mails to him... nothing. Maybe someone out there can advise me as to how I can start the proceedings to sue him in small claims court in the State of New York. I believe that with the money order going through his business and the e-mails I have from him and me, there is enough of a paper trail to get the rest of my money back.

Threaten, better business bureao and your states attorney. Some attorneys have free counceltation. And your county clerk may be able to explain, the procedure and cost of fileing a suit. good luck, that sux haveing to go through that crap.

Been reading all of this and as most i like to think the best of people until they prove different. A couple of questions if you will and they may have already been answered. I see we're talking about $1300 worth of stuff. You payed with a check, M.O., or paypal? Has his account been credited this amount? Where were the parts being shipped from and to (just towns) no names. You ordered them when? You sent the money when? Were they being drop shipped from another company? or did he have the parts in hand? Perhaps the parts were shipped from another supplier and they were out of stock and are on back order unbeknowing to him? Ask him some hard to the point questions if you haven't already. Sounds like the place you got the parts from is not within driving distance? If you strike out maybe a member here can stop by and let him know they are there to pick up Pauls parts. Is he from Missouri? Keep us posted.
Small Block

Just to recap. Parts were ordered just over two months ago from a person on Moparts. For about $1300.00 Canadian, ($937.00 U.S. funds), I was to have three shipments of parts. Two shipments of smaller parts to my home ( which sort of came minus a couple of items-ECU and accompanying wiring). The other larger items were to be drop-shipped to a mailing address in the state of Maine. I then drive about an hour, cross the U.S./Canadian border and pick up same. Parts were paid via a money order from my bank to "his" business name in the state of New York. I would add here that the money was sent quickly after the "deal" was made and I followed-up ensuring that he received same and that it cleared his bank before I even expected any parts shipped. While I appreciate the suggestion that someone from here pay him a visit on my behalf, I believe it is my responsiblity to see it through-maybe even take holidays and drive to New York state (I'm sure it's beautiful this time of year). Last time I spoke to him on the phone, he idicated surprise I hadn't received the rest of the parts as yet and when he got back to his shop, he would check on the matter (yeah right). I e-mailed him advising I need these parts like now; no reply. If someone (preferrably from the state of New York) could advise me of the person or persons to contact either BBB or a legal service, I would appreciate same. Thanks for all the suggestions here. Maybe it's at least time to go public so that someone else doesn't go through what I am. I don't want to ruin a person's name though especially in this economy.
Cheers... Paul

A lot of people here that live in NY Paul. I didn't imply that one should go over to his place and get nasty. Just a friendly visit and chat. Let him know of our widespread presence. We are FABO.
Small Block

Bought a set of uncut Mopar keys from a gentleman in Canada using Paypal (ebay) at the end of Feb. He sent them in an envelope through the Canadian mail an USPS here, after 30 days I received my money back from paypal. Just last week the keys arrived here ! I contacted the seller and sent him his money.

Enough is enough! My latest attempt to have the rest of my parts shipped to me (via the state of Maine address) appears to have fallen on deaf ears. I called one Joseph Balboa o/a Rumblefish Ltd in Chester New York on Thursday last. Left a message on his phone message system advising I want the rest of my parts that I paid for. Before I called him though, I called the Maine address's business to check if the parts were in---no; and I checked my e-mail to see if Mr. Balboa had sent me a shipping/tracking number---no. This morning, I checked my e-mail--none from him.
This then is an ALERT! Anyone out there can get taken like I have. While I'm not much of a joiner, I have been in touch with Moparts (the site that I contacted Joseph Balboa to purchase the parts) and advised them why I wanted to join and what I wanted to post i.e. to expose Joseph Balboa o/a Rumblefish Ltd. in Chester New York. I want to be upfront with them regarding my intentions as I have been with Mr. Balboa when I did business with him.
Can someone out there, who may live close to Chester advise if the Times Herald Record would be the best newspaper to advertise in regarding this matter. I feel that the public at large ought ot know as well.
If these actions result in a loss of business for Rumblefish Ltd. so be it. I am considering that I have lost a good amount of money myself.
BTW, I will also be contacting the BBB about this matter also.

I hate to hear of any bad dealings on any Mopar site,hopefully he,ll come clean now and send your money back.You,ve given this person enough time!

In addition to putting "his" name out via this message board, I looked into doing the same via Moparts. After reading their regulations including obeying all the laws, I opted to go in another direction. (Not sure what all the laws entail in the U.S., so could not agree to them) I actually contacted and registered my complaint to the Better Business Bureau in the State of New York over the weekend. Let's see if they can do anything. Should they not be able to do anything (just thinking ahead), maybe they can (a) give me the name of the newspaper that services "his" area and/or (b) give me the name of a legal representative in "his" area.
I'm not, by a long shot, done. Too much money for me to just walk away from. I'll invest some more time and money to get ??? something out of this.

I also have been ripped off by Balboa. He owes me about $2300. I was a Police Officer for 18 yrs and am now retired. I contactes the NY D/A office and they placed a couresy call for me to Balboa. I got an email that me rear end was complete and would ship asasp. Well 2 weeks and nothing. I think I shall pursue legal complaint af theft and mail fraud. Spread the word, dont deal with him

-
Back