What would you do.....?

-

'64 Cuda

Reaction score
Want some opinions here since I can't decide what I should do. I'm planning to build my roller cam 360 into a 408 with Edelbrock heads & a six pack. It's going to go into my '64 Barracuda. The car has a 4 speed with a 10.5" clutch & 8 3/4" rear with 3.91 gears. It's going to be a fair weather cruiser but I might take it to the strip just to see what it could do.

The car was cut for Cyclone 1 5/8" fenderwell headers in 1976. I still have the headers & they're in good shape. I also have a very nice set of 68-70 340 exhaust manifolds.

Should I just stick with the headers I have? Patch the fenders (I have the sheetmetal to do it)? If I patch the fenders, should I run the 340 manifolds (I hear it's hard to fit anything larger than 2 1/4" pipes to them in an early A) or headers (TTI or Doug"s)? Opinions on the them? I kind of like the Doug's better but they also seem to be the most expensive. I'm wide open here. Running the headers I have would definitely be the simplest & cheapest, but not necessarily the best way to go? What do you guys think? :dontknow:

I don't think the 70 manifolds will fit right.I had spitfire 's on mine but didn't like where they exited. I put stock '65 manifolds back. Mine is a mild 318 though. I'd say if you have them and they fit/work well i'd use them. Maybe hot coat them first.

Some people say they'll fit & some say they won't. I've seen online where people have installed them but I haven't tried it yet. Everything I've seen that says they'll fit still says you have to come off of them with 2 1/4" pipes & then you can step up to 2 1/2".

screw the manifolds. let that 408 breath. i say keep the fenderwells if they are in good shape.. they are an eye catcher...

I just think its pointless to build a roller cam, 408 with a 6-Pack just to lose most of that build trying to stuff the exhaust out manifolds.

Yeah, I kind of agree. It's just that I have these rare (that's what everybody says) manifolds that are in perfect shape & I'm too much of a hoarder to get rid of them. I'll probably sit on them until I die & my wife will sell all of my stuff to somebody for $50. disgust I really need to make a list for her. Maybe I should sell some stuff.......:cry:

I guess I should mention that the fenderwell headers have 1/4" flanges instead of the 5/16" or 3/8" that a lot of them seem to have these days. They'll probably be okay with good gaskets. If I use them I'll probably also cut off the collector flanges & replace them with some weld on ball flanges & have them coated.

Keep the fenderwell headers you got....they are in good shape, flow, and look awesome in early a bodies. Leave the stock manifolds for the resto people.

OK I am jumping in...I have a 66 and I am facing a similar dillema. I do not have fender well headers, I dont have the stock manifolds, I am thrashing trying to come up with an inexpensive alternative and one does not seem to be surfacing. I talked with the Schumacher folks ( make the conversion motor mounts to seat a 340 in a 6 kframe) I talked with the DOUGs folks and you are right they are EXPENSIVE, but so are the TTi's....fact is they are all good alternatives, including the spitfire's( not as good) but all better than the stock cast....esp if you are pumpin up the HP....all that $$ to pump up the HP and then choke it with that cast LHS ribbon tube? not a good idea!

I am lookin into the spitfires....at least they are open and kinda cheap...I have not cut my wells and prefer not to, but if it comes down to it I will to get a decent exhaust workin.

-
Back