What would you have done?

What would you do

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
i'd be torn i think...legally it would be mine, but morally it wouldn't. karma has nothing to do with it. karma is your sub conscience guilt making bad luck for you.

I did see in that article that since he chose to return it, the previous owner's family had NOT contacted him to even say "Thank you".

Damn right I'd have kept it.

Buying a house is strictly a legal business contract. It's a simple business transaction. I am not "disturbed" by anyones response to give the money back and am insulted that someone may think I don't have integrity because I would keep it. Buying a house is a contractual, business obligation. Nothing moral involved.

Interesting topic. My answer to what I consider a hypothetical question is 'return the money.' However if I really were faced with this decision I am not so sure...

Buying a house is strictly a legal business contract. It's a simple business transaction. I am not "disturbed" by anyones response to give the money back and am insulted that someone may think I don't have integrity because I would keep it. Buying a house is a contractual, business obligation. Nothing moral involved.

Like I said above I don't know for sure what I would do. And I wouldn't judge anybody who decided to keep the money. I do have a question though, are you saying there are different moral standards for business transactions than for other things in life? If so, why should that be so?

Wheres that hemi for sale ad again? First I would do some research and see what kind of people the kids are. If they are turds or junkies no way would I give it back. If they are wealthy probably not. If they are really in need of it more than I am I would give it to them.

Like I said above I don't know for sure what I would do. And I wouldn't judge anybody who decided to keep the money. I do have a question though, are you saying there are different moral standards for business transactions than for other things in life? If so, why should that be so?

Because it's under contract, David. Say you buy a car from a dealer. You find 100K in the trunk. Leaglly, it's yours. Legally in that instance is all that matters. It's a contarctual obligation that you completed when you bought the car....or in this case the house. It's business. And business is business. Nothing more.

Ok, lets say I bought this house and unknown to any body the house was full of termites and was actually a POS house . Do you think the people would give you back your money because they would be worried about Karma, Fat chance.I would take the money and have a great time spending it.

Just me,

Bob

it could bee his karma rewarding him for good he's done and what does he do?... throw it in karmas face....i would keep it.....i payed for it.always check homes before you sell em..

No one knows what they would do until faced with the situation. I would like to say I would return it and I think I would but it did not happen to me. I try to "do the right thing" but sometimes the right thing is subjective. Character and leadership is what we do when no one is looking. Cliff notes version, until it is your dilemma, you just don't know.
My $00.02 worth, Rat

No one knows what they would do until faced with the situation. I would like to say I would return it and I think I would but it did not happen to me. I try to "do the right thing" but sometimes the right thing is subjective. Character and leadership is what we do when no one is looking. Cliff notes version, until it is your dilemma, you just don't know.
My $00.02 worth, Rat

I disagree I know exactly what I would do. And those that know me well would tell you the same.

simple you bought the house, they left it in the house, it's now yours unless you have a clause in the contract outlining something like this.

No karma involved, it's not dude's problem that they left it.

Its funny and sad all the ways humans try to rationalize greed and sefishness. I asked my 5 year old what he would do and he easily saw that to keep the money would be stealing.

I still can't agree that a man-made legal contract should automatically be the standard we follow if there is a higher moral standard at issue.

Think about how often companies screw us over in the name of business instead of doing what's right for the greater good of people? And look where this difference in business vs. moral standards has gotten us.

It's apparent to me that a lot of people are thinking way too much into this.
The house was bought as is where is, and that includes the contents and condition....good or bad.
If the new owner would have came back to the old owner's family with a problem he found after the transaction (example: mold, cracked foundation, insect infestation etc.)
the chances are that they wouldn't have given a partial refund on the agreed price at sale. Caveat Emptor. Buyer beware. You buy it, you get it good or bad. Both parties made a decision to buy/sell as is.
What if the money wasn't found for 10 years? Statute of limitations?
In my opinion, there was no obligation on both parties after the sale stipulated, so the new owner owns the money fair and square.
What he decided to do with the money is his own business, it's got nothing to do with morality or karma.
So he decided to give it back to the family without even a thank you. What did that teach his kids?
It goes to show you what the old owners really care about morality and fairness, doesn't it?
I would have kept the money and gave some to charity, at least they would appreciate it. But that's me.
Just my $44,999.98 plus 2 cents worth.
Tom.

Like someone on a CNN poll replied," How do we know it wasn't $80,000".

haha, best idea of all. The kids think you're an honest blah-blah-blah, and the dealer that sold you the new challenger thinks you're a great customer. :icon_smi:

The ungrateful kids have not even gotten in touch with the foolish good samaritan to thank him. The dead guy knew how his kids were and he was hiding the money from them. No karma involved in keeping the moolah IMO. heck, the dead guy is prolly trying to bust out of his coffin so he could scream NO - not to THEM!

The money will be squandered in 6 months, if it gets followed which it won't.

Karma is a ***** is right! Every dollar I spent I would wonder what good deed I had done to reward me with such a handsome bounty. Either that or the family may be punished by karma for who knows what, the old owner died without telling them about the money for a reason.

There's a story, not sure if in a mag or web just recently about someone buying a house, and in one of the outbuildings they found a car under some junk. I don't recall much clamour over returning the car, but instead, excitement over the "great" find. hmmm..

Grant

Hell, I would keep the cash its legally mine..If the house needed repairs I would uses some of the cash for that. I would also take Karma out for drinks so next time I screw up she isnt so rough on me. with the remaining cash I would buy a old duster and hang out at Lowes hoping to score a Buick grand national babe!

-
Back