What would you pay?

-

CUDACOX

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a chance to buy a 69 340 motor complete,running when pulled.(so I'm told) Valve covers are in poor shape, No factory mani's, LD340 intake.The guy wont budge from $875.00. Please let me know your thoughts.P.S. I know nothing about motor,just what he says.. Thanks in advance!

I don't know as I would pay that much, but that seems to be in the ballpark of what people are asking for them.

I saw a couple of ads here on CL and they were in the 800 dollar neighborhood.

I guess if I had the extra jingle laying around I might, they don't make them anymore.

Up here Craig its worth $875. I paid $1250 for my 69 340 complete carb to pan, less the manifolds. With an engine stand. By the way get the vin for me, I may just want it...still looking for my orig for my car. Pop a head off and try to get an accurate measurement on the bore.

Up here Craig its worth $875. I paid $1250 for my 69 340 complete carb to pan, less the manifolds. With an engine stand. By the way get the vin for me, I may just want it...still looking for my orig for my car. Pop a head off and try to get an accurate measurement on the bore.
I hear ya! I think the guy is a little anal! lol. So I don't think popping a head off will be good! I might suggest it though! lol. I don't need it but you never know! If I or someone I know blows a motor??

It would be worth it, you could recoup half of the money on the intake and heads alone, easily. I say if it has x heads buy it.. and if you eventually have to sell it.. you will be at no loss.

If it's a real 69 340 long block and it's not froze busted or locked up, buy it.

..if it has been bored twice and the valves are really sunk in the heads...ouch!
on the other hand may all be in spec and a great deal...

My concern would be the bores. After 40 years, finding a 340 block that hasn't already been bored at least .030 over is rare. It could already be .060 over too. I wouldn't want it unless I had a 69 restoration project that needed it. Even then I would have to know what I was buying. My pockets aren't deep enough to restore a block and heads that are completely worn out.

I would think its worth the $875.00 if it turns over. It would be nice to know about how it ran, etc, but it is what it is. Yeah, if it was mine, no one would be pulling any heads or oil pans to check it out. Saw it too many times with other guys. Guys wanna pull engine parts to check things out, and that's the end of it. They never come back, then you gotta a engine that's been torn apart to try and sell it to the next guy. It would always be nice to be able to do that, but most guys I know won't let you do that. I can't even find any 340's around where I live. I don't think it would be too hard to sell even if you bought it, and decided it wasn't the 340 for you.

well...I have an very good running 340 in My Demon but I want to build a 451 stroker for it....I'd want 2 grand for mine minus the new carb

looks like if x heads you have that much in heads and intake reciprocating assembly, steel crank et al. Bring the cash and insist on pulling A head. state why you want the head off, if .030 or less bore. He has to be selling as a core, at least in his head, and you want to verify the usefulness of the core. I wouldn't blink twice if I were looking for one, if he balks.

-
Back