What would you pull off this C Body for your A Body???

-

Golden Scamp

Reaction score
Picking up a 1970 Fury Gran Sport on Saturday. Car has a 4bbl 383, 727, and an 8 3/4. Heard the C Body rear will have to be shortened to use, and not sure of the gearing. BBP 15 rims, power brakes (drum), 26" radiator. Pulling motor and tranny for my 68 Dart GT Slant Six car - 225, 904, 7 1/4 rear power steering/manual brake SBP 14" console shift. Modifications will have to be made, so does anyone have any suggestions of what I should pull off this car before I get rid of it? It is complete. Any suspension items, torsion bars, steering linkage, throttle linkage, etc.??? Don't want to have an "Oh S**T" moment and realize I should have pulled something off of it after it it already gone.

Pull the entire drive train, including linkages. None of the suspension or steering components (except PS pump, and maybe tie rod adjusters) will fit the A body. Yes, the rear would have to be narrowed, along with the axles, spring perches moved, etc - probably a 8.75" one legger - and all that might be more trouble than it's worth. You should plan on upgrading the 7.25" rear though. Rear brake assemblies, rear e-brake cables. Grab the drive shaft (will have to be shortened) - if nothing else for the front slip yoke.

The 26" radiator may not fit between the frame rails without some trimming and you'll want to open up the core support to fully expose the radiator core. And that means your horns will have to be moved. Keep the shroud if it has one.

BBP spindles and upper control arm will have to come from somewhere else.

Nothing else comes to mind right off hand.

a friend of mine parted a 70 b-body
I was surprised at some over the things people wanted

Some people like the date code stuff
seat belts, alt, door hinges etc
just never know

No date codes for me, just E.T'.S (and reaction #'s)

Hey, if it happens to have one of these factory torque straps on the driver side engine mount, save that too. That's just cool.

Attachments

• Torque strap cable.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 497
Get the rear axles; C-body and truck 8 3/4 axles make good candidates for resplining for A-bodies.

Pull the torsion bars. If you can't peddle them on ebay they make great pry bars when you cut off one end and shape it. I'll try and post up a pic.
C

Dude, pull everything that you can. Chuck it all on Craigslist!

If he wants to part it all out - great! His original question was what to pull for his A-Body.

I think the C body torsion bars work for adjusters on 9.25" truck rear axles

If it has the Bendix style (the nose of the power brake booster is cone shaped
down to where the master cyl bolt's onto) does not matter if it need's to be rebuilt either, but they will bolt onto the 68-70 B-body car's for sure, maybe earlier year's too, it's worth taking off, cause you'll get more for it, (selling outright) than at the scrapyard.

The 26" radiator will bolt in with a few extra holes in the radiator support, and no cutting is absolutely needed. I installed a 26" 3 core Champion radiator in my '74 Duster, all I did was drill 4 holes and weld a couple of nuts behind the top holes, that last bit isn't even necessary, just for ease of install as I'm usually working alone.

Cutting the radiator support for airflow isn't necessary. Yes, you will get better/more efficient cooling if you open it up to 26". But, the outer parts of the core and cooling fins are exposed to air even without cutting, and they will still transfer heat just fine. Regardless, the additional cooling surface will work better than a 22" radiator.

And I would still pull the 8 3/4. The axles can be shortened to A body length, same with the housing. And if you've seen the price of A body 8 3/4 rears lately, you might even be able to get all that done cheaper than finding and buying an A body 8 3/4.

thanks for sharing all of this info and knowledge. Sunday is Driveway mechanic day. If anyone else can add, I'm all ears.

Sport Fury GT should be bucket seats and maybe console and shifter.I believe it the same console used in b-bodies.It would be good trading stock.

The 26" radiator will bolt in with a few extra holes in the radiator support, and no cutting is absolutely needed.

The overall width of a typical 26" factory C-Body rad, including the brackets is almost 30" so some trimming may be required to slip it in there.

Sport Fury GT should be bucket seats and maybe console and shifter.I believe it the same console used in b-bodies.It would be good trading stock.

If it is a Sports Fury GT...sell it whole! RARE,RARE,RARE!

But w/ a 383 I think it's just a Sports Fury

Says it is a Fury Gran Sport.... Not a Sport Fury GT.... At any rate, being a 383 4bbl car, it may not be a peg-leg rear.....

If the dashpad is not cracked open from the sun, pull it and offer it for sale on the C-body site or ebay....Same for the radio if it is am/fm..... They are not that hard to remove.

-
Back