what year of 360 is best

-

fitchett

Reaction score
im new to building cars but heard i need a late 80's 360 for roller cam not sure what that means lol.what year should i be looking for.

Just get a Magnum and don't think twice.

Better heads, higher compression, roller cam, 1.6 rockers, EFI friendly, serpentine belt, no pulley BS. It's a win.

72...thicker cylinder walls (340 water jackets?) If your talking Magnum, then sure a 360 Magnum with its roller and serpentine belts, 1.6 pedestal rockers and thinner valve stems in a better shaped head.

Just get a Magnum and don't think twice.

Better heads, higher compression, roller cam, 1.6 rockers, EFI friendly, serpentine belt, no pulley BS. It's a win.
If you cut down the escentic, bolt on the Magnum's timing chain cover and water to a LA block you can run/use the factory serpentine setup.

I'd opt for a LA Roller Block over a magnum motor anyday. I would have gone that route had I known about them when I was searching for a motor and if I didn't get my 340 block for dirt cheap.:burnout:

Late 80s early 90s LA roller block. You can find them in full size pickup and full size vans.

If you find a complete 92'-early 93' magnum w/exhaust manifolds, casting numbers 53006619/53006618....you can sell the 2 1/8" outlet manifolds for $100-$150 on E-Bay. Enough for a set of bearings and a case of beer!:D

Glen

I'll take a not-worn-the-hell-out block of an EFI motor over the fuel-washed and worn cylinders of a carb motor, too.

1.6 rockers....better heads.....higher compression....just a thought.

Go with the pre magnum 91 and earlier with hydraulic roller cam and the old LA intake wiill bolt on. :study:

Or go with the 71-72 block with the thicker bore cores. =;

I like uncracked heads and shaft mounted rockers. Plus theres plenty of non worn out LA motors out there.

not trying to hijack the thread, just adding food to thought. but what if one was wanting to build a sstroker motor? lets say a 408, would the magnum still be the top choice?

"what's the best?"
The one that's not damaged and cheapest. I personally don't like Magnum heads for anything more than mild builds, and Magnum heads can go on the LA block. You can't put LAs on a Magnum block easily. So in terms of cores, I look for any pre-Magnum engine. The later blocks are more consistent, but I won't say they are better or thinner, just more consistent. Sometimes consistently bad...lol. Don't waste money on the "thicker '71" blocks because it's a crap shoot that you get one that's not core shifted so much it's no better than the later ones. The later 80s trucks have them and i've gotten lucky enough to score running examples for free so long as I go and pull them myself.

-
Back