What's a 6.4 worth??

-

Blucuda413

Reaction score
SRT8 6.4 as pulled from car with all factory dressing, what is it worth? Don't know mileage or condition of engine other than fire from firewall rearward. Looks like engine bay escaped.

Got mine out of a 2018 charger with 18k miles with a spun #7 rod bearing for just over 700 which was the core value.

Where do you guys pull these? All the salvage things I’ve seen on eBay or companies that pallet them to resell charge like $10k for engine, trans, computer, etc. I’m really considering a swap but that $10k price tag is a bit to stomach.

Where do you guys pull these? All the salvage things I’ve seen on eBay or companies that pallet them to resell charge like $10k for engine, trans, computer, etc. I’m really considering a swap but that $10k price tag is a bit to stomach.

Those are probably fresh out of running cars. Mine has a spun bearing. That said, you can get a new long block for a lot less than that.

I’m a novice at all this. Was thinking big block for a while because it’s my dad’s dart and that’s what he wanted to do, but he passed and I inherited this and am not trying to drag race it like he was. I think a 6.4 in a 3000lb car with AC, etc. will be more than enough for me. It’ll be a while before I can dig in but have been on the site almost daily reading up on stuff for 1.5 years.

Since mine was part of a warranty deal, I need to point out I did not get...

Valve covers
Intake
Injector rails
Oil pan
Timing cover

other ods and ends.

I’m a novice at all this. Was thinking big block for a while because it’s my dad’s dart and that’s what he wanted to do, but he passed and I inherited this and am not trying to drag race it like he was. I think a 6.4 in a 3000lb car with AC, etc. will be more than enough for me. It’ll be a while before I can dig in but have been on the site almost daily reading up on stuff for 1.5 years.

Understood, but look around, people are pulling 500hp easily from stroked small blocks. I'm doing it because I got a deal. Who knows, by the time I get the car to that point, I might be putting a fusion reactor in it. lol

That's my problem also everyone wants way too much.

Average price for an SRT 6.4 is in that 7000 dollar range. Give or take on the miles. Anywhere from 10k miles up to 80. I got real lucky on a 6.4 truck core for 500 bucks.

I was thinking of a Blueprint 408 or doing a Hemi swap. I figure if I drop the coin it might as well be brand new with a warranty. I’m between selling a house and a career change right now so I may not even pull the trigger for another two years. Plenty of time for me to change my mind another 7 times, haha.

I was thinking of a Blueprint 408 or doing a Hemi swap. I figure if I drop the coin it might as well be brand new with a warranty. I’m between selling a house and a career change right now so I may not even pull the trigger for another two years. Plenty of time for me to change my mind another 7 times, haha.

I'm in that boat. Lol

Sorry about the loss of your dad.

The only thing I have to add is: hell yes, a 6.4L in a 3000lb car will be a thrill and a viable option compared to a big block. That 392 engine moves the 4200lb Charger/Challenger with authority. It really is a hell of an engine. The trick will be putting the traction down of course.

Sorry about the loss of your dad.

The only thing I have to add is: hell yes, a 6.4L in a 3000lb car will be a thrill and a viable option compared to a big block. That 392 engine moves the 4200lb Charger/Challenger with authority. It really is a hell of an engine. The trick will be putting the traction down of course.
Thanks for the kind words. I know it’ll add infinitely more work to do the swap, but that’s the way I’m leaning for now. There’s just something about it that I really like.

Thanks for the kind words. I know it’ll add infinitely more work to do the swap, but that’s the way I’m leaning for now. There’s just something about it that I really like.
it may not add more work to the project. putting a big block in an A-Body takes some doing as well. it will pay better dividends with the 6.4 in my opinion. and its going to be a blast to drive!! and get 20+ MPG

it may not add more work to the project. putting a big block in an A-Body takes some doing as well. it will pay better dividends with the 6.4 in my opinion. and its going to be a blast to drive!! and get 20+ MPG
I’m fully onboard the 6.4 train. I was thinking BB because my dad had a 600hp+ (supposedly) 440 built and ready to go for it. It was built to scream around 6000 rpm fro what I gathered. I was able to sell it to a member here and it gave me a nice nest egg for the road ahead. Not sure the path I’ll ultimately take but I hear the modern computers are getting more and more aftermarket support nowadays. I just want to pull the trigger before this EV crap takes too deep a hold!

-
Back