What's a 69 Dodge Dart /6 worth?

-

Galactic_eyes

Reaction score
Hey guys, there is a guy I work with that has a 69 Dart that I've been trying to get him to sell me. Well, I think I may have beaten him down enough to where he just might. I asked how much he would take for it. He says,"make an offer". I hate it when people do that. I don't know what he might want for it. I don't know if I might go to high or to low. One remark he made was," these Mopar's are rare". I was like,"they are not that rare".
Anyway, It's a 69 Dart with the 225. The engine does have a rod knocking. This is not an issue as I plan on going to a V8 anyway. The front end had been rebuilt. The paint job looks OK but the body is wavy all the way down due to sorry body work. That will have to be redone. The interior is in decent shape. The Dart has Crager SS wheels on it. I have not looked at the floor pans or anything like that. I'm going by the last time I saw the car and what he has told me. He did drive the car to work everyday until a couple of years ago when the rod started knocking. Anywho, how much do you think I should offer him for this sled? I'm sorry, I don't have any pics of it. I know that would make it easier.

He said its rare so good luck...Pics would help but wavy and a blown slant 6 maybe $800-$1000 .You can find a real solid project if you look for 2-3K.

Jim

Yea, when he said that the first thing to come to mind was Barret Jackson. That was about the price range I was thinking.

Go on Ebay and print out a few recent sales of /6 -69 Darts. With that you can show him what they`re bringing and show him how "rare" they are. Many people have no idea what the market is doing now. If you make him an offer, low ball it, and when he counters it will give you plenty of room to make concessions. This way you guys can finally come to some figure that you can both live with.

Tell him what you will pay and then if he busts out laughing tell him about the wavy paint job kills the car. "Makes it look like a bondo bucket!" You have to get ruthless sometimes to justify your price offer with these so and so's.

Yeah, beat him down a little bit on the body work.......that's the pricey type of repairs that's gotta make the car cheap. Interior work too.....you'll have to drop at least $1000 to re-do the interior correctly. Then, bumpers straight?......tires are probably shot.......brakes will have to be completely gone thru. Let him know the deal.

Thanks for all of the great advice. I was going to bring all of that up when we start to negotiate the price. The motor is shot, needs body work and no telling what else. He does not have the know-how to work on the car and I hate knowing that it is just sitting there. It's a good restorer or whatever I decide to do with it. I may fix it up for the wife.

$800, period.

Sound like for what you want to use this car for, it will need bodywork, paint, brake upgrade, engine (not even useable now), and god knows what else. Think of it that way and the price I stated should be fair IF it's not rusted out. ADD rust= SUBTRACT $$$

I went and looked at the car. Come to find out it's a 69 with a 68 grill. The car has rust at the corner of the rear window that has pushed up and cracked the paint. There is also rust on the rear quarter panel. The paint has been eaten away at the gas cap from gas leaking out. The interior smelled pretty bad of mildew and a rat made a large nest in the driver floor. Other than that the interior wasn't that bad.
Anyway, I offered him $800 for it. I thought that was a very fair offer. Well, he kept saying he wasn't sure what he wants to do with the car. So, I took that as a no. That's fine because just up the road from him there sits a Sassy Green Mopar with a matte black Hemi scooped hood. The funny thing is, I don't know what it is. I plan on going back and talking with the guy. Another one of my friends says its a Fury but, I don't think so.

drt.jpg

drt1.jpg

drt2.jpg

drt4.jpg

Prolly one of his beer drinking, arm chair quarterback types told him it's "rare". Let it sit (with it's rats nest) and see if someone else buys into his "rare" strategy.

Give him your number and tell him to call you when he changes his mind.

Another trick is to give a check for the $800.00, but don't sign the check. Tell him when he wants you to sign the check, to give you a call!

Or wait a week and tell him you found another car you really like, but you were wondering if he has changed his mind (on price), before you commit on another vehicle.

The other thing that concerns me is your "helter skelter" want to go see this supposed Fury. Have you decided on what car you REALLY want, or are you just looking for a deal (which there's nothing wrong with).

So let's back up a little. How long have you been looking and what's your grand scheme?

Pete

well keep tellin him all the things that are wrong with it like the paint the quarters the rod knock and tell him there not that rare keep knocking the car down and whats wrong with it then after your done offer 1000 and if that dosent work then it aint worth it and he obviously dont want to sell it

Is also has 68 front fenders (at least the drivers side is), so it could have had some front end damage at one time.

The other thing that concerns me is your "helter skelter" want to go see this supposed Fury. Have you decided on what car you REALLY want, or are you just looking for a deal (which there's nothing wrong with).

So let's back up a little. How long have you been looking and what's your grand scheme?

Pete
I work with the guy that owns the car. I knew he had it and wasn't driving it. I thought I'd try and buy it from him for the wife to drive when we go to cruise inns.
The Sassy Green Mopar raised my curiosity cause it was a good looking car. Heck, it just might be up for sale. I'm also looking for a 92-94 Sundance Duster. Running or not.

-
Back