whats best for street strip 360 RPM or M1

-

67Signet

Smoke and chaos stunt coordinator
Reaction score
I have a 360 and im looking for a intake manifold that is best for my car
something that works well up to about 6500 rpms and can work with a future Torque converter stall upgrade to aprox 2800 stall car has 3.91 SG
What cam would you recommend if the m1 is preffered , this is a stock internal 1976 360 for now has stock 188 j heads that will be swapped at some point with my 202 j heads
I want a cam that will work with each step outlined and guidence in what steps are best for performance and ease of assembly
anyone have a torque converter and good cam for sale or electronic ignition please contact me
Fabo Rocks

thank you
Bruce

Well, alot depends on the actuall set up and the intended useage of the car. With your description, I would gamble the RPM would be best for a "Street/Strip" car with the gear set you have. They all assemble at the same level of ease.

The M1 single will make the best top end power, but, if you need the low end torque, the RPM is going to make a good few more pounds worth over the single plane. The M1 is worth useing if your going to ignore torque below 3500 rpm.

The other thing of note is your mill is a low compresion engine. You can't use to big of a cam and more than likely, you'll be done making power by 6,000RPM if not sooner.

Considering your basic package, and working within it's boarders, I'd run a cam like this; http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...dWxpYw==&level3=U3RyZWV0L1N0cmlw&partid=21854, and keep the 1.88 valved heads with just a pocket porting and a head milling in a effort to raise the comp. ratio to a better level. Use the thin MoPar head gaskets. Theres no real big gain in a 2.02 and a larger cam with what you have now. This would save money and time to get you going quicker.

I would use the RPM Airgap, that's what I have on my car right now.
Also, I have a used TCI Street Fighter 10" converter for a 727 (flashed to ~3000 behind my old 360)...if interested shoot me a PM.

RPM, your combo is very mild, even with j's and 2,800 stall in the future i would stay with the rpm, CR is only about 8 to 1 with the thicker felpros so i would stay with a cam in the 220 - [email protected] range you need low end, spinning it to 6,500 would put you out of the power and be a waste.

You have no real compression in the 360 as it sits. Which means any cam that relies on static compression to keep it driveable will have a soft feel off idle even with the gears. So my advice for now would be the EX268H Comp cam, a set of Comp's 901-16 springs, remove the exhaust rotators that are more than likely on the 360's exh valves and replace with std retainers, and run the RPM air gap. I'd then leave the whole thing alone until you can get a budget together to replace the pistons and rebuild it. That cam will work with the stock convertor and with 3.91s it will be that much better. That's what I'd do "for now".

-
Back