what's going on with torsion bars?

-

7demon2

Registered User #1824
Reaction score
don't know if any of you guys have been pricing torsion bars lately but, what is going on with them???? the prices are crazy!! :cussing: also i have noticed that the .087 bars are all but dried up everywhere. what gives? :sad1: anybody got any insite on this?

Several months ago the original manufacturer stopped making them. I guess the new supplier feels they're worth twice as much now. Pretty ridiculous for what they are. Of course, since Chrysler no longer builds torsion bar suspension vehicles it may come down to supply and demand.

Seems like its that way with a lot of Mopar parts now. Was browsing for a S/B 6-pack setup, new, and now their going for over $2,000 with shipping. Big Blocks ar even more? Intakes alone ar around $300.

well i have no idea what type of steel to use. just an update to this story. i talked to several dealers today. they all told me that chrysler has stopped making the .087, .085 , .083 ,and the .081 torsion bars. i was told that chrysler expects to have the aftermarket pick up the pieces. firmfeel said that they are working on makeing their own. they have some in test cars now. well that is the latest i have..... :sad:

I would tend to think that all the talk of Chrysler being sold off again is making every supplier figure there stuff is gold now.

Yep prices are out of site on everything! You could get a Raod Runner work less than 4K and the HP options with the Hemi and the works were like less than $1000. So regarless of what people say about inflation stuff today is just ouch!

I bought my .870 bars 8 years ago, they are brand new and going in the car in 2 weeks. I paid about $175 from a Dodge dealer in So cal.

maybe you can find a set in a wrecking yard from a 340 car A body?

I know that is not the hot setup though... :sad:

yeah that might be what i am going to have to do. if you change your mind on your .870 bars i would swap you a set of .890 bars if you want to trade.....just thought i'd throw that out. no i don't have any .890 bars but if you want to trade, i would get some and trade you for the .870. new for new as long as they work for my car and yours.

jeeze!!! all i asked was a simple question. i fail to see why everything has to turn into something political, or has to be referenced to something political. keep your opinions to yourself.

Is this thread about torsion bars or politics? :scratch:

Hmm....I think I'll open a drinking establishment and call it the "Torsion Bar" ROFLMAO! Lighten up everybody. :goodman:

Yes no Politics please.. They all suck... for us car guys!

Anyway I spoke with Tom at Firm Feel today for work they are doing for me; great people there! He mentioned something about being a rep for some Mopar stuff per the factory rep he spoke with. So maybe we have some hope for the suspension prices for us in the near future?

Anyway springs like coild sag, weaken etc. T-bars dont not really loose to much. I would as I mentioned snag a set from a later A body. Most taxi's and HD applications 318 with AC etc had larger bars. You can then adjust um up to the height you need.

You could also ask over at the BigBlock Dart site, maybe some guys are stashing some of the mid to mid size bars in favor of the .890s and larger bars.

good luck buddy 7demon2 !

take care guys! It is Beer 30 :cheers:

*UPDATE* i scored a pair of new .870's today. i found a parts dealer that still had 1 pair left. $ 225.00. not to bad. here is the link if anybody is intrested. seems to carry a fair amount of stuff.
http://www.jacksautoparts.com/

If anyone is interested,I just ordered a set of .920 bars for$156.00 CDN from our local dealer(Triple Seven Chrysler,Regina,Sask.Canada).Part#p5249151.
They said that there was 34 sets left in the system+they come from the U.S.

-
Back