What's going on??

-

elvaliant66

Reaction score
Was driving my 67 valiant at night hit a bump then suddenly my headlights were flashing as if they were hazard lights I was trippin out!!. As I looked at the dash I seen a wire glowing red hot and smoke coming out under the dash .i turned the car off immediately.i waited a bit then turned my ignition switch on and tried my turn signals they worked no problem ,brake lights worked and headlights also.so I started it and drove home.next day I checked under the dash and it was the black wire to my signal flasher connector.traced the wire and there's 4 wires spliced which is a pink one (wiper switch) black one (ignition switch) and the flasher (black wire) to another black wire. Is that factory splice? They did a good splicing job but not sure if all 4 wires can be joined like that . I haven't done any electrical to it. I bought the car about a month ago it's been my every other day driver for about a month. only drive about 20- 30 miles a day . Any help is appreciated thanks in advance!

yes its a factory splice. It is the ammeter wire where all your power is being distributed. Here is the under dash wiring diagram for reference. Bottom rightish section shows the splice.
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1967/67ValiantA.jpg

If you are having trouble with your ammeter creating other problems I would look into the MAD electrical conversion. Lots of info about it on the site.

yes, one off the ignition switch black wire, one off the ammeter. Check the bottom half of the wiring diagram link, they are both there.

Ok will do thanks! Do u have any idea why only 1 wire burned? (Black flasher wire)could of it been exposed and grounded itself to dash?

The thing is ........as old as these girls are, almost anything could have happened

Old insulation got brittle. Someone carelessly worked under there, and got a wire across a sharp corner of the dash / column / bracket. Someone spliced something in....stereo and tach are common.

The thing is ........as old as these girls are, almost anything could have happened

Old insulation got brittle. Someone carelessly worked under there, and got a wire across a sharp corner of the dash / column / bracket. Someone spliced something in....stereo and tach are common.

Yea that is true. just find it weird how the other wires spliced in there didn't heat up or melt. Only that black wire going to the flasher connector.doesnt have a radio at the moment but does have a tach installed gonna check that next.

If it did it when you hit a bump I wonder if you had a filament in a bulb cross..... You also want to check all your grounds, engine to chassis and negative battery to core support.... Very likely you have bulkhead connector resistance as well.

I was gonna try to figure out why the negative wire going to my flasher burned . I turned the car on and it was idling for a good 5 minutes everything worked fine all lights and flashers/signal. After a couple of minutes I started to here a ticking noise coming from behind the dash around the ammeter area. As it idles it does a quick tick and the ammeter needle shoots down to D but then comes back quick and keeps idling .it did that maybe a good 10 times now when I try to crank it I get nothing no click or anything . All my lights work . .anyone have an idea what happened there?

I was gonna try to figure out why the negative wire going to my flasher burned . I turned the car on and it was idling for a good 5 minutes everything worked fine all lights and flashers/signal. After a couple of minutes I started to here a ticking noise coming from behind the dash around the ammeter area. As it idles it does a quick tick and the ammeter needle shoots down to D but then comes back quick and keeps idling .it did that maybe a good 10 times now when I try to crank it I get nothing no click or anything . All my lights work . .anyone have an idea what happened there?

Hey, did you ever figure out what happened there? I'm having a similar ticking issue.

Is your ticking accompanied by the ammeter pulsing?
If yes then to what degree? as in a gentle pull to discharge, or whacked waaay over?

If an A-body; you know they have two flashers under there right?; One for the hazards and one for the directional. I assume you have proven these are not the cause of it.
If this is an older model Mopar, it has an electro-mechanical regulator mounted on the firewall, under the hood, just above where your left foot would be...... so you may wish to check that device; it has a coil under the cover (maybe two; I forget),with point-type contactors that can stick and click. The quick check is just to put a finger on the cover, you'll feel it. Otherwise, just pull the connector off the alternator; if the clicking continues, it ain't the mechanical regulator.
Still clicking; turn off the wiper switch.
Still clicking while moving, check your key-fob,lol. IDK after that

Last edited:
Is your ticking accompanied by the ammeter pulsing?
If yes then to what degree? as in a gentle pull to discharge, or whacked waaay over?

If an A-body; you know they have two flashers under there right?; One for the hazards and one for the directional. I assume you have proven these are not the cause of it.
If this is an older model Mopar, it has an electro-mechanical regulator mounted on the firewall, under the hood, just above where your left foot would be...... so you may wish to check that device; it has a coil under the cover (maybe two; I forget),with point-type contactors that can stick and click. The quick check is just to put a finger on the cover, you'll feel it. Otherwise, just pull the connector off the alternator; if the clicking continues, it ain't the mechanical regulator.
Still clicking; turn off the wiper switch.
Still clicking while moving, check your key-fob,lol. IDK after that

Lol, I just found out it was the wiper switch. It wasnt completely turned off. Glad it was an easy find!!

-
Back