What's it worth? 1965 273 2bbl engine and 904 trans

-

Litz

Reaction score
I bought a 65 Valiant Signet in Sept. It's a 273 2bbl with a 904 trans. The engine and trans are both in VG condition and a guy is wanting me to put a price on the combo. Being new to the small blocks I really haven't a clue what it's worth. The engine and trans need nothing. Any suggestions?

how many miles are on the combo?
No idea on the mileage. I pulled a valve cover a few days ago to check the casting #'s on the head and the the valve springs look new and everything was very clean. I bought the car in Sept. and am trying to decide if I should build a "Hot" 273, or go with a 360. I'm leaning towards a 360. That's the reason I'm considering selling the 273.

tough one to answer for sure... are you separating a #'s matching car? --- anyway, good running combo like that.. I am sure it depends on ones location - but I would expect it to get $500 or so.. again though, really hard to nail a # without seeing and hearing it..

tough one to answer for sure... are you separating a #'s matching car? --- anyway, good running combo like that.. I am sure it depends on ones location - but I would expect it to get $500 or so.. again though, really hard to nail a # without seeing and hearing it..
Thank you for the reply ScampMike. It gives me an idea of what it's worth

It's worth different amounts to different people. To me personally, not much, as I would prefer a later engine with numerous advantages over the 273. (Magnum 5.2/5.9) comes to mind. But a guy might want it to put a car back to totally stock, and it would have value for that reason.

Last one I bought was a running, driving 273,2bbl, 904 for $200.

A friend bought a 1965 273 and cable 904 about a year and a half ago for $500 off of Craigslist. The seller claimed it had been pulled from a wreck many years ago with 71,000 miles on it. He put it in his 65 Dart that had received a later 225/904 sometime in it's lifetime to replace the original 273. He was glad to pay $500 to get his car back to original.

A friend bought a 1965 273 and cable 904 about a year and a half ago for $500 off of Craigslist. The seller claimed it had been pulled from a wreck many years ago with 71,000 miles on it. He put it in his 65 Dart that had received a later 225/904 sometime in it's lifetime to replace the original 273. He was glad to pay $500 to get his car back to original.
Yeah, this is a good running engine/trans. Heck I might look for an early Dart, or Valiant roller! LOL

Yes, It's a numbers matching car but that doesn't matter much to me. Thanks for the info.
Numbers matching, no. Correct date code possibly. 65 mopars did not have matching numbers on the engine to chassis/body. If the engine date code is prior to the car build date (usually 1 or 2 months) it would be correct.
I have two 66 "A" bodies, that were born with V-8's, but have slants in them now. Picked up a 273 2bbl "core" engine with a early 66 date code, so I could put them back to the original configuration, if I desired.

Hi, Im' interested in the motor and transmission? I have the same in a running 65 Valiant, but my engine burns oil and transmission leaks/has issues. I want to make the car more reliable, cuz I love driving it... Car is currently in Tucson, AZ now, but I live in LA. Planning to drive back soon, perhaps up to Simi to see your engine. I would also be interested in finding someone to do the swap for me there... any ideas? I currently lack a garage to do the work myself.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited:
Hi, Im' interested in the motor and transmission? I have the same in a running 65 Valiant, but my engine burns oil and transmission leaks/has issues. I want to make the car more reliable, cuz I love driving it... Car is currently in Tucson, AZ now, but I live in LA. Planning to drive back soon, perhaps up to Simi to see your engine. I would also be interested in finding someone to do the swap for me there... any ideas? I currently lack a garage to do the work myself.

Thanks
Mike
Mike, I'm not sure how many miles are on the engine/trans. I pulled a valve cover a few days ago to get the casting numbers on the cylinder heads and everything inside was spotless and it looks like the valve springs are new, and the exterior of the engine is clean. I bought the car in Sept. and decided to go with a 360 tf instead of the 273. If you are interested you can come to Simi and hear it run and check the trans, etc. I'm going to look at a 360 engine and trans next week but won't pull the 273 until I have a buyer for it so the buyer can check it out while it's in the car. Thank you for the reply. Has it cooled off in Tucson yet? I lived there for many years. Worked for the Tanque Verde Ranch as the corrall boss from 85-98 the summers were brutal!

Mike, I'm not sure how many miles are on the engine/trans. I pulled a valve cover a few days ago to get the casting numbers on the cylinder heads and everything inside was spotless and it looks like the valve springs are new, and the exterior of the engine is clean. I bought the car in Sept. and decided to go with a 360 tf instead of the 273. If you are interested you can come to Simi and hear it run and check the trans, etc. I'm going to look at a 360 engine and trans next week but won't pull the 273 until I have a buyer for it so the buyer can check it out while it's in the car. Thank you for the reply. Has it cooled off in Tucson yet? I lived there for many years. Worked for the Tanque Verde Ranch as the corrall boss from 85-98 the summers were brutal!

OK,

I will be in town (LA) two weeks from now, weekend of the 18th. I can meet you earlier or the week following. (16th-22nd). my email is mike.acatl(at)gmail.com . Please send me an email and we can work out details. I do want to see engine running.

I lived in Tucson for 34 years... It was cool today but the heat is a big reason i moved away. See you back in So-Cal! Thanks Mike

-
Back