Whats it worth - 70 340 Swinger Basket Case

-

Dart Sport 360

Wanna Race?
Reaction score
Hey a buddy of mine's father has had this basket case for along time. It was willed to them by a friend and they were never able to put it back together.

He's finally selling it and I want to make sure he asks enough. I wont say how much hes asking but it seems cheap to me.

Its a 70 Swinger 340 car. Its a complete car striped bare, frame/body has been finished, just needs paint. all the body panels need paint. need brake lines, wiring harness (which he might have), has complete 340 that needs to be gone thru. He says he has a 6 pack intake with no carbs (6pac was not an option, correct?) has seats frames and new covers but needs to be cleaned up. Let assume the rest of the drive train is there but needs to be gone thru.

Lets assume its not a numbers matching 340.... I'm guessing its not.

Like I said the car was given to them in this state probably 10+ years ago.... I've seen the car but never had a good chance to go thru it.

I'd like to know what you think its worth. I told him it would be worth more in parts then hes asking... they just don't want the trouble and would like to see the car finished.

Thanks for your input.

It would be helpful to have pics of the project to get a better response on value.

Ya I know... You'll have to use your imagination because I cant get pictures before the guy comes this weekend that's interested in it. He's not a mopar guy and I have an idea of what I think its worth but I'm looking for confirmation.

I'm just looking for a ballpark number so I can compare to his price.... $1000, $5000, $10,000?... that kinda thing.

Thanks

To me it sounds like a whole lot of assuming on parts to get a idea of value.
Also not trying to be a downer , but I have never seem a car in primer that all it needed was paint. That is what everyone says, but it is very seldom the case. If its all apart that also make it a harder sell because of the cost to transport a dis assembled project. I would try to see what is actually with the car part wise and get a sum of the parts to give you a value.
Other wise just too much guessing involved to nail anything down.
That's my two cents, Matt

Ok.... I'm not asking anyone to buy the thing.

Lets try this... He's going to he happy if he gets $5000 for the car.

Working backwards if this car was complete and in great shape I figure that the most it would be worth being a non matching numbers car would be $20k... Am I high/low?

We figure this thing is going to need $10 to $15k to complete... paint, parts, rebuild, etc.

Does all that sound reasonable?

Really it is what they think it is worth to them. See it parted out, sold and reassembled. Out of their hair.

You are right, worth more. As parts, but that means dealing with parting it out and disposing of what is left.

If it such a good deal maybe you can work it out and buy it, put it back together then sell it.

Value as a whole? What will it take to get it back on the road?

Most painters will not paint a car they didn't prep for the fact if something isn't right he will get blamed, and if it has been in primer a long time it could have rust coming back thru. Missing parts, again what is there? How hard will it be to find the parts needed?

So, part out get most $$$$$$

Sell whole, gone in one shot, not as much but then the next guy has to deal with it.

IMO it doesn't have a lot of value as is, so if they want to sell cheap, they might have the best idea.

Pictures and an inventory list would make it easier to judge

Oh I've thought about grabing it. I never really like the 70 Swinger... Not my favorite mopar that's for sure. If it was a 69 Runner in the same condition I would buy it and sell my Sport 360 to fund...

Of the stuff I saw its pretty clean. A very good start. And he tells me that its all there. no doubt it needs work but it will be a nice car when finished... well nice for a 70 Swinger...

It's worth whatever you can get out of it. I bought a 70 Duster that is rock solid (little rust in pass floor) and has had one quarter panel replaced. I had to find a fender and door for it (guessing from the same accident). Came with a 72 340 w/ 70 X heads on it and a 1968 4 speed. Has 8.75" rear end too. Mostly complete car. Guy was asking $5K for it last summer, then down to $4K later. I bought it for $2400 in October. Problem with things in primer is that it can hide a lot so it may make some potential buyers a little wary. I knew I could part mine out for more than I paid for it, so I wasn't worried about the investment. But, it wasn't worth $5K to me when I first looked at it. Long story short, I would say $2K - $4K. It's difficult to look at a pile of parts and envision what the finished product will look like. I personally would rather tear the car down myself so that I can organize and label all parts and fasteners for reassembly!

I would say $5000.00 for it torn apart would be a stretch. If it still needs paint , engine trans and rear end rebuilt and the interior left to do you would be luck not to spend over $25,000 doing it. We also have no idea of fender tag, build sheet and other documentation. No matter what the parts that are included or missing, the documentation, and if its matching numbers plays a big part in the value. Very tuff to get an idea on the limited info. The 3 grand mark was my guess as well.
Matt

3 grand is top dollar without some pics and a proper inventory made.
It might be worth more, but without seeing it in person, that's my guess.
If he is offered 5 grand, he should take it and run.

3 grand is top dollar without some pics and a proper inventory made.
It might be worth more, but without seeing it in person, that's my guess.
If he is offered 5 grand, he should take it and run.

Agreed.

I got this for 3Kish a few years ago... 340/auto/bucket/console car

If he got 3K he should consider it lucky. If it's a non-numbers deal, to get 5K, he'd need to part the car out.

I recently watched an H code 340 4 speed Duster sell locally at an auction. Was a running, driving car with nice paint (factory lemon twist) that someone had put a 383 in. Still had the front disc, 8 3/4" rear, had the rear leafs moved in but not mini tubbed, rally dash. Original bench seat car someone had scabbed some buckets in and needed carpet. It was a very solid start that needed someone who was willing to spend the time on it. It brought $5900 and the new owner drove it off. I would have to agree with the other responses that $5k seems awfully high for as far apart as you describe it.

Since the car is apart the pool of buyers is much smaller as a lot of people wouldn't be able to reassemble.

Without seeing I would say 2k to 3k.

Good luck!

Still trying to figure out how you have interest in a 1975 Parrot Nose Dart, and not a 1970 340 Dart Swinger.......:scratch:

LOL!.... Look at my car... its Awesome!! haha j/k.

I actually grew to love my car over the years... I loved the duster body when I was a kid and when I got this car it was close enough... lol! I was 16 when I got it (18 years ago) and I've made it my own. Wasn't love at first sight but by the 2nd or 3rd date I was hooked....

The 70 swinger has great front clip... the roof and trunk line down to the bumper with the tail lights just makes me turn away. I don't like it. A 69 dart looks much better. I wouldn't want to wake up next to a 70 swinger every morning....

To each their own.

If it does not have the original block it is just another one of those "used to be a 340 car" shells.

A running, driving 69 340 swinger just sold on fabo the other day. It was listed at $6000, and was a California car. Just something to compare with.

So lets keep playing....

If it is the numbers matching drivetrain... how much does that add to the value.

I'm sure he'd like to know that.

I would say if it was a Hi-impact color (maybe sub-lime) with the original drivetrain, $5K wouldn't be out of line. That would be a car worth restoring to somebody. And a 4 speed adds $$. Otherwise as someone already said, it used to be a 340.
Does it have all the trim and is it in good condition? The more complete it is, the better.

-
Back