What's it worth?

-

dartley

Reaction score
I am considering selling my 1975 Plymouth Valiant 4dr /6 car. Below is a picture. It's hard to get a clear idea of what it's worth because so few come up for sale. I just checked ebaymotors and there were about four 4 door Darts, but only two were fundamentally comparable in condition and the auctions were not nearly over. I know 4drs are square (literally and figuratively), but this one's really nice. I bought it because it's about the cleanest original condition A-body I've seen in a long long time; it has, for all intensive purposes, no rust to speak of and was all over / under it before I purchased it a year ago. That's's practically unheard of for an east coast A body. Milage is under 100,000 and very good running - I am using it for my commuter car right now. I am disseminating all this information, not because I am trying to sell it to any of you, but because if I ask you all for any ideas I figure I must tell you as much pertinent information as you'd need.

So why am I considering selling it? Good question. The answer is simply, it's a 32 year old car with 32 year old brake lines, and a few very fixable items like clanking windsheild wiper mechanism, missing rubber buffer piece on the drivers side window (it clanks against something metal inside when the door is closed), only an AM radio and the A/C needs a charge. Nothing big and nothing I can't handle - I just don't have the time to do it. When I bought it I thought I'd be able to make the time. Well since I bought it it's gotten a new master cylinder and complete brake line purge, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv, belts, heater hoses, rubber fuel line, water pump, anti freeze, oil change.filter. But I don't have as much time for it as I thought, and what time I do have I'd rather spend on the 340 car. That's about the size of it.

If anyone has any good guesses as to it's value I'd be very much obliged to you for offering your opins. Thanks in advance and best regards.

val01.jpg

Over here in california you could pick up something like that for around $2,000-$2,500. I just don't think they are very desirable. Looks like a nice driver though.

Thanks for that reply and the complement. Yes in Calif ... frankly I am surprised that one might get even $2500 over there. But here on the east coast (especially the N.E. - I'm on L.I., N.Y. - as opposed to say Fla.) one has to look far and wide to find a nice one.

And as I said, I well know the 4dr is a bit of a farty thing ... but yes, it is a very nice driver. Either this goes or the '92 Dodge Spirit - which I bought new BTW and is in very good shape as well. I was gonna sell the Spirit, but when I tried, the best I could do is $1000. If I can get a couple/few thousand for the Valiant, it might make more sense. So that's my thought pattern FWIW.

Thanks again.

Any other comments? ... opinions are most welcome. Thanks in advance.

ouuuuuuu ... that does not make me feel good! Really? ... clean, original cars, with clean interiors, near perfect dash pads, under 100K miles, no rust and good paint?

The problem with the car is that it is not desirable. I think $1500 would be hard to get here in California and there aren't many (or any) that nice around here. The deal is that we still have more desirable cars in the $2k-up range. Good luck whatever you do.

Hey guys, no need to be sorry. I appreciate your opinions. As I said, I realize that as a 4-door it's not that desirable. I also realize that I overpaid for it now. Even '55 chevy's are not too expensive as 4 doors.

But one of my co-workers, who is from Calif, tells me that many cars are about half the price there compared to similar vehicles here in NY.

Makes one wonder why the 4dr Subies and Evos are so popular, doesn't it?

Regards,

-
Back