what's next

-

thumper43

heavyfoot
Reaction score
hey folks, looking for suggestions.I have a 66 dart with built slant/6 were talkin bored .30 over decked an head shaved. oversized valves, custom cam most of the usual refinents. transmisson rebuild scheduled for spring. Will be going to the track this summer an running against a 05 mustang an 65 chevelle both v-8 cars. all our cars are street cars, would like to suprise these guys. Any suggestions?
:prayer:

hey folks, looking for suggestions.I have a 66 dart with built slant/6 were talkin bored .30 over decked an head shaved. oversized valves, custom cam most of the usual refinents. transmisson rebuild scheduled for spring. Will be going to the track this summer an running against a 05 mustang an 65 chevelle both v-8 cars. all our cars are street cars, would like to suprise these guys. Any suggestions?
:prayer:

The only way you are going to run with that stang is gears and some kind of power adder.

What are your cam specs,and compression ratio? What trans and gears are you running?

The only way you are going to run with that stang is gears and some kind of power adder.

What are your cam specs,and compression ratio? What trans and gears are you running?

a stock 05 mustang GT three valve will run a 14.3 stock with ok street tires... thats gonna be a hard sell when you pull up with slicks lol....

but what do you do with the car?? mileage needed? street manners?

cam specs out at 220 intake an exhaust .440 valve lift its a comp cams 264s. as far as transmisson specs as i said spring rebuild of 904 coming so nothing set in stone yet. one mistake i made during build was not installing forged pistons. so power adder? not so much

cam specs out at 220 intake an exhaust .440 valve lift its a comp cams 264s. as far as transmisson specs as i said spring rebuild of 904 coming so nothing set in stone yet. one mistake i made during build was not installing forged pistons. so power adder? not so much

guys run 125 shots on cast pistons for many seasons with no issues... now if you dont know how to tune it it can bite you really fast...

but that cam is pretty small... an erson 270 grind is pretty nice for a mild motor...

milage not concern car is local cruiser as far as street manners. only chance i had to evaluate current set-up was with 1-barrel carb, no headers and trans let loose after quarter mile run to gas station. rear gears in the plan probobly 3.91

local engine builder did rebuild so i defired to his knowledge reguarding cam choice. like suggestion of nitrous! looks like i will have to get schooled on that subject. have never used it before

milage not concern car is local cruiser as far as street manners. only chance i had to evaluate current set-up was with 1-barrel carb, no headers and trans let loose after quarter mile run to gas station. rear gears in the plan probobly 3.91

did you do any head work? pocket porting or anything??

what is your compression ratio??

3.91's will probably be to much with that cam depending on where your power fall off...

with my setup (which seems alot different than most slant guys) trapped at 5K in third with a 28" tall tire... now depending on your car that may work or may not...

block decked, head surfaced 0.60,ported the head. compression guestimate 9.5 to one. don't expect to turn more than 5000 rpm, so your right about gearing this is my first experience with slant6 car. So were on a learning curve here

Looking at your first post and I see no mention of a 904,just that you were getting a trans rebuilt.

You dont need forged pistons for a power adder.

Just go run your car and have fun,unless you are willing to do some major porting,a cam swap,get a high stall converter,and run something like a 4.11 gear, or install a power adder(turbo,nitrous,super charger)you are not going to be able to keep up with that stang.

block decked, head surfaced 0.60,ported the head. compression guestimate 9.5 to one. don't expect to turn more than 5000 rpm, so your right about gearing this is my first experience with slant6 car. So were on a learning curve here

Any idea how much they took off the block? Unless they took quite a bit off the block,you prob. dont have 9.5 to 1.Are you running the stock '66 head?

How extensive was the porting? What size valves?

don't know how much removed from block; entire engine is 1968 version. port matched valve bowls and blending. valves are 1.72 intake an 1.44 exhaust if i remember correctly. Have an experienced shop handling trans rebuild i am sure they can choose proper stall converter. subject of nitrous was one i had not considered. but i have about 4 grand tied up in motor so what's a little more.LOL as for just running an having fun, thats all i want anyway.

don't know how much removed from block; entire engine is 1968 version. port matched valve bowls and blending. valves are 1.72 intake an 1.44 exhaust if i remember correctly. Have an experienced shop handling trans rebuild i am sure they can choose proper stall converter. subject of nitrous was one i had not considered. but i have about 4 grand tied up in motor so what's a little more.LOL as for just running an having fun, thats all i want anyway.

In that case,dont sweat it. Just run what you have now,im sure it will be a blast:burnout:

But if you ever want to take that mustang out,it can be done,but its going to take some upgrades.

-
Back