What's second best to 8 3/4?

-

PlumCrazy26

Reaction score
I'm building a circle track car up here in Anchorage for the new 3/8th asphalt track that's going in and I'm having a hell of a time finding an affordable 8 3/4 setup. I'm going to be running a damn near bone stock 360 and I'm curious what's the next option for my 72 duster.

Prob a 8 1/4 you can build up a bit better with axels and a sure grip.

Rear end questions/Swaps seem to get asked once a day. But 8 1/4 would be a good option. Or Ford 8.8 Cheap and plenteful. You dont need a 8 3/4

The affordable is all relevant, if you go 8 1/4 you change your bolt pattern, so then you need new wheels and maybe new rubber, however if you need those anyway then maybe it's fine, however then you have 2 different bolt patterns on your car so you will want to put LBP front discs on it. Going 8 1/4 is an incredible option if you plan on changing to disc and getting new wheels and tires. If not you may as well grab that 8 3/4. Just my opinion

If you go 8 1/4 You can score disks from a jeep that has a dana 30 and they practically bolt on. I have them and they work great.

8 1/4 rears arwen't exactly cheap these days either. less then a 8 3/4 but not cheap.. why not a ford 8.8 like already stated? or something like a c-body rear?

Wheels should be cheap to get. They share the 4-1/2 pattern with Ford. Many wheels are the 4-1/2. Off set sizes may not be great for a MoPar. That generally takes more back spacing. Or can take more back spacing.

The 8-1/4 gets my vote due to bolt in ease.
the Ford 8.8 is a great option. There are threads here that detail the Ford to MoPar swap.

+1 for the not-quite-as-mighty-as-an-8 3/4-but-still-pretty-good.....8 1/4.

-Bolt-in
-Cherokee brakes
-Affordable

The only real draw back (besides strength) compared to an 8 3/4 is that the 8 3/4 has a drop-out pumpkin, and the 8 1/4 does not. If you want to change gears in the 8 1/4, you've gotta do it the hard way.

First off, thanks everyone for your replies! As far as running a Ford rear I can't. Has to be stock for the make and model. I do know where to get a cheap 8.25 with the big bolt pattern but I don't know the gear size. The real drawback as stated is having that nice dropout pumpkin. I guess I'll check on that junkyard 8.25!

If you can weld and fabricate even on a small scale, my vote if for a Ford 9". You can find them under almost any Ford truck from 59-the early 90s. They are REAL cheap.

Since ford axle is out of the question I would be looking for an 8 3/4 from a truck or c-body
and narrow it. The axle shafts can be shortened & resplined and use the stock bearings and brakes.
I wouldn't want a c-clip axle in a circle track car myself. Tapered bearings for handling the side loads is a better choice.

If you go 8 1/4 You can score disks from a jeep that has a dana 30 and they practically bolt on. I have them and they work great.

Dana 35 rears had the disc brakes on Grand Cherokee's, the ZJ style. I actually just unloaded my last two sets of rear disc setups, us Jeep guys swap them over to our 8 1/4's pretty regularly too, it's a nice upgrade.

-
Back