What's That Sound?

-
Check the converter bolts.
Yes. I had a mystery knock after a rebuild and turns out it was the converter bolt hitting the dust cover. After that about an hour of engine running a brand new hydraulic lifter went bad causing a different knock.

I think I know you think what it is. Sadly, we think you're right.

I'm betting that's a rod. I sure hope I'm wrong....

I had an oil pressure prob at startup and shut it down until I could get a rod and prime it.

can you expound on this?

what was the problem, and how did you fix it?

for comparrision, this was my 360 when a connecting rod went out of round and chewed up a bearing

now, this second video is that same 360 after she put on a little weight (shes a 408 now) and the alternator belt was too tight

can you expound on this?

what was the problem, and how did you fix it?

for comparrision, this was my 360 when a connecting rod went out of round and chewed up a bearing

now, this second video is that same 360 after she put on a little weight (shes a 408 now) and the alternator belt was too tight

During the installation of the headers, I had to remove the oil filter relocation system. Because it was empty I didn't get oil pressure right away. After 8-10 seconds I shut it down and got a primer rod. After priming for a minute oil pressure was fine.

So I went out this morning and pulled the valve covers. I was checking the adjustment nuts for tightness and this one just about fell off. Notice the different color of the rocker arm too.

IMG_7505.JPG

So I went out this morning and pulled the valve covers. I was checking the adjustment nuts for tightness and this one just about fell off. Notice the different color of the rocker arm too.

View attachment 1715155166

IMO (I've posted this before but have been poo poo'd but I'm going to say it anyway) if you have the adjuster so short that the nut is loading the adjuster where the tool goes in (I can't think of the name of what to call it) it will break the adjuster.

Said in simple talk, the adjuster is too short. The lock nut is pulling on the adjust exactly at the bottom of the adjustment hole. It will fail on a regular basis.

View attachment 1715155166
Bummer...
Wonder if the jamb nut came loose or wasn't tight and the adjuster backed off.
Did you find the nut or did it go into the valley?

I had an exhaust leak that sounded exactly like that on a small block, odd that it's on both sides though

HEY NOW, WHAT`S THAT SOUND, EVERYBODY LOOK WHAT`S GOIN DOWN-----------------------
OH SH--, IT`S OIL

Funny. When I first looked at this thread is was thinking "oooo oooo that sound...the sound of deaths around you...." but I didn't.

Now that FB did that, I don't feel bad about it.

OK, I got some time and replaced the rocker arm, re-lashed all the valves again and took off the dust cover for the trans and looked for any issues with the torque converter...nothing changed. However, when I start the car the tap/knock isn't there. It comes in after about 30 seconds of running. Oil pressure is 65 psi almost immediately. It does seem to be more prevalent on right/passenger side now. I guess it could be an exhaust leak too so that's what I'll try next I guess.

OK, I got some time and replaced the rocker arm, re-lashed all the valves again and took off the dust cover for the trans and looked for any issues with the torque converter...nothing changed. However, when I start the car the tap/knock isn't there. It comes in after about 30 seconds of running. Oil pressure is 65 psi almost immediately. It does seem to be more prevalent on right/passenger side now. I guess it could be an exhaust leak too so that's what I'll try next I guess.
exhaust leaks usually sound like an elec short or jump. have u checked ur lifters ?

Get a cheap stethoscope, so you can be sure. I had a brand new set of Edelbrock push rods eaten up at the rocker. You need to look at the pushrods, and make sure they are fine. Also, I had the adjuster fail on another engine. Look at the grain of the adjuster. It looks like sand. I put in all ARP adjusters, and haven't had to adjust them.

-
Back