What's the best shipping option?

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
What have you found to be the best option for shipping large and/or heavy objects. I've had a few requests for items off the Duster I am parting out. Things such as the hood, window glass, k-frame, springs, etc. are not very suitable for boxing up and dropping off at the post office.

I would like to hear from some of you with first-hand experience, either as a seller or buyer.

Thanks,
Jerry

Hi I,ve had good service from UPS when getting stuff from U.S.A to Ontario,Canada.It,s been pricey but only took 3days.I,d recommend them

Here is what I "think" I know.

UPS has a 150 LBS. limit and a size restriction as well. When I first started my side business years ago, I ran into that. I went over the size thing by an inch and it got real expensive.

I am almost positive on the 150 LBS. thing.

I did ship a rear axle from Oregon to MI. It was on a pallet and it cost $216 I think. Since I cut the guy a decent price he came out ok.

Interestingly, the truck shipping was almost easier than UPS. They were real cool about it. From the time I pulled up until I left took 10 minutes.

Just an FYI from someone who has parted alot of rigs out-Jeeps, not so many Mopars-you have to watch the big stuff.

I ran into more than a few times where I had to manufacture a box, and spend two hours doing so, to sell a part for $40.00

I try and not do that anymore, although I did for awhile. I was able to accomplish my goals by doing so, and I did make some good Epals out of it.

I am heading away from selling now. I will be busy for awhile getting rid of what I already have.

Things to consider:

1. It will take more time
2. It could cost more money
3. People will understandably want alot of pics-have them
4. ALways be ready to communicate
5. Keep all correspondence until the deal is over and all are happy

I am not trying to discourage you. I think parting out cars is good for everyone. Can be time consuming etc. but it is good for the hobby and good for you if you do it right.

FWIW-ROB

Yeah, most of the items you listed that are under 150 pounds can be shipped UPS, or FedEx ground. I use FedEx ground myself. They are cheaper, and seem to take better care of the boxes. One problem with FedEx ground is that the limit to a residential address is 75 pounds. To get to 150, you need to ship to a business.

As far as the larger, or heavier items, like Jeeper said, truck freight is your option, or possibly Greyhound. The Greyhound station where I used to live would not take shipments of hoods and doors. I guess it depends on your local depot.

CudaChick1968 suggested a freight company to contact one time that I checked into that really did have decent prices. She can probably tell you who to contact. I forgot.

Just make sure that you are aware of what a pain it is to ship large items, and get the money up front. I'd be afraid to ship glass, myself. If someone REALLY wants something that you don't feel comfortable shipping, you can always drop it at a UPS store and make the buyer pay for their crazy high packing costs.

Another thing to consider when shipping heavy items is how the recipiant will handle them. When the truck pulls up out in front of your house with a 600 skid with an engine block or something and your wife is the only one home!!

.... CudaChick1968 suggested a freight company to contact one time that I checked into that really did have decent prices. She can probably tell you who to contact. I forgot.quote]
Yes Tom, my guy is great! He owns the company, and they guarantee to beat "those other guys" by 50% on anything weighing more than 75 pounds, and it's usually closer to 60%.

Tyler Sheff
FairPricedShipping.com
1-888-762-7158
Extension #701

I've used Tyler's company personally more than once with great success. Here's my best story.

I sold a big-azz narrowed Dana 60 weighing about 450 lbs to another FABO member in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada -- 2300+ miles away -- so this one had customs paperwork too. Tyler prepared everything and the sale was painless. I was most impressed by the fact that the driver picked up the pallet at 1:30 p.m., and 14 hours later a lady was calling me from the border to find out its country of origin!

If you go to his website above and click on "Contact Us" to get a quote, my friend Tyler is the guy who will respond, but honestly it's quicker to just call his toll free number and ask for Extension 701.

For future reference, this info is and has been on my website at the very bottom of the "Pricing & Shipping" page for you all to take advantage of. He's great, and he's a motorhead too!!

I use FedEx Ground/Home Delivery. Sometimes USPS, and always USPS when going to Canada.

I wouldn't use them for a windshield unless it was in a wooden box.

I've shipped K frames, springs, bucket seats, disc brake kits, cylinder heads, crankshafts, etc. and never had a real issue. Any time there was an issue with damage, it was always taken care of in a timely and professional manner.

I wouldn't let UPS ship a dog turd... If something gets damaged it's ALWAYS your fault. Like when my box showed up crushed after being run over by a truck or trailer. Tire tracks across the white box. I think they used it for a wheel chock.

I recently shipped a hood using Greyhound. Had to box and tape everything up real well but that was no big deal. Cost was $90 from KC to Milwaukee.

I recently shipped a hood using Greyhound. Had to box and tape everything up real well but that was no big deal. Cost was $90 from KC to Milwaukee.

I sent a Duster fender with the address written on the fender, no wrapping, from CA to NY for around $40

I just got an email from my pal Tyler. He changed his email address. I wanted to let you all know in case anyone here is having trouble getting in touch with him.

Leanna,

Thank you very much for the referrals. I wanted to let you know I have changed my email address to [email protected]

We were having too many delays with corporate email so I got tired of the drama and now only use this.

Tyler Sheff
FairPricedShipping.com, Inc
eMail [email protected]
727-323-4500 Direct
727-388-6957 Fax

Visit us on the Web at FairPricedShipping.com

-
Back