What's the difference between steering columns?

-

jcolman

Reaction score
My car has a floor shift.

I have an old steering column in my 72 Duster that came from a column shift car. The horn is not installed and the turn signal stick works but feels like it could snap off any time.

The lower bearing needs replacing and I was thinking that since the steering column needs to come out, I might as well replace the whole column with a new one.

Looking online, I see what looks like nice tilt adjustable columns from around $200 all the way up to $1200. I know that "you get what you pay for" holds true in a lot of instances, but has anyone used and been happy with, some of the lower priced columns?

Get the right original OEM one....pay $300 for complete restored one with key....there is a guy on this site in Ga. named Kent....he always is restoring and selling steering columns...

Get the right original OEM one....pay $300 for complete restored one with key....there is a guy on this site in Ga. named Kent....he always is restoring and selling steering columns...
Thanks I appreciate the response. Just to be clear though, I'm not necessarily looking to keep my car "original" looking. I have aftermarket gauges and 18" wheels. However, I do like supporting members of this forum.

Ok gotcha, well then if it's a modded one...you might wanna go with new cool style stainless columns with tilt....

You do get what you pay for with after market columns. Read this:

https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/...-2013_Unsafe_Aftermarket_Steering_Columns.pdf

I have a Flaming River tilt. It is sold as a drop in for 69-down B-Body but fit my Dart perfectly other than shortening the D shaft, which is removable. You can get them for you 72 as a drop in with or with out the switch in the column and power or manual steering. Keep in mind your steering wheel may not fit well as in there will be a mismatch and gap when installed. I ended up buying a GT Performance steering wheel and GM Adapter, which looks great.

Here is an example of a drop in for you car. I guessed on Key and steering box.

To me, the price difference isn't worth the safety risks.

You do get what you pay for with after market columns. Read this:

https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/...-2013_Unsafe_Aftermarket_Steering_Columns.pdf

I have a Flaming River tilt. It is sold as a drop in for 69-down B-Body but fit my Dart perfectly other than shortening the D shaft, which is removable. You can get them for you 72 as a drop in with or with out the switch in the column and power or manual steering. Keep in mind your steering wheel may not fit well as in there will be a mismatch and gap when installed. I ended up buying a GT Performance steering wheel and GM Adapter, which looks great.

Here is an example of a drop in for you car. I guessed on Key and steering box.

To me, the price difference isn't worth the safety risks.
Dano, do you have the steering wheel and adapter part numbers handy. Looks like i will need them. Thanks

Sorry, just got back from vacation.

This adapter for GT3 wheels:
GT Performance 20-5006 GT Performance Steering Wheel Installation Kits | Summit Racing

This GT3 wheel:
GT Performance 36-5445 GT Performance GT-3 Retro Leather Steering Wheels | Summit Racing

I love the steering wheel. With a very small amount of work I was able to replace the center piece of the horn button with the factory Fratzog horn button.

If you wait the GT stuff goes on sale for 10% off at Summit. It nice stuff too, way better than Grant.

-
Back