whats the difference

-

Holy Roller

Reaction score
I have 383 that was apart when i bought it. It has 516 high compression heads, a four barrel intake and regular exhaust manifolds, I'm not sure about the cam. what difference does the high compression heads make? The date on the engine is 65/66 I know it's not a HP but just wanted to see what the differences are. Thank you.

No such thing as "high compression heads" in the Mopar world, although those would give higher compression on a LATER short block. In any given year, Chrysler set compression by the use of different pistons. If that is an original four-barrel motor, it will have higher compression pistons than that year two-barrel motor.

There's no great value in that motor (but it's worth more than scrap), but it's still a great starting point for a build.

Thank you for the info, right now the block is bored 30 over. I know that would raise the compression but I was told that I would have to have at least 92cc's. Or I would fry the pistons at around 5500 RPM's. The only thing I would have to to stroke it is change the rods to 440 rods..right, the 383 crank should work or do I have to change both?

To stroke it you need to increase the stroke of the crankshaft, which changes how far the piston travels therefore increasing displacement. So yes, you need a different crankshaft.

The early (67 and prior?) Big block heads are closed chamber and yield higher compression ratios over the later open chamber heads.

440 source makes a couple bolt in stroker kits - 438cu in, and 496cu in. - if on a budget you could use a forged 440 crank and rods, then custom and I mean custom pistons -

My next low deck build will be a 438 - stock forged 440 crank, Eagle H beams w/ Chevy pin, 440 source dished pistons (uses a chevy pin) built for 15psi or so..

THANK YOU for all the information, what about changing the size of the exhaust valves on my 516 heads, would that help me any?

Yes.Installing the later 1.74 exhaust valves and opening the bowls up to them will help some.If you plan on keeping the heads and using them it is a worthwhile performance upgrade.On a stock 383 with factory intake/exhaust manifolds and factory cam....a lot of money for little gain.

Ok, if I use the 1.74 valves on the 516 heads, and use a thumper cam with the springs abd rockers and a aftermarket intake, headers ect. Would the valve swap still work? Thank you everybody for the advise and good information.

-
Back