What's the hot ticket on engine oil?

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
It's time to buy another 5 gallons of engine oil for my old Mopar LAs and RBs, and it would be nice to find something relatively economical. I have been using "Traveller" brand "fleet diesel oil" 15W-40 from Tractor Supply (due to its price; it has the lowest price I have found for such an oil), and which is advertised as being OK for older engines:

Traveller Premium All Fleet 15W-40 Diesel Engine Oil, 5 gal. at Tractor Supply Co.

However I doubt that the Traveller "diesel" oil contains any zinc, and I'm thinking maybe I should be using some other oil instead that would better lubricate my flat-tappet camshafts. I would appreciate any suggestions, while bearing in mind that I'm basically a cheapskate. Thanks.

I use Rotella T 15w-40 which does contain zinc. It's relatively inexpensive and easily available.

I use this and get it at Summit Racing but Walmart sells it as well. Good stuff. I'm sure if you call Lucas you could get it bulk. 5 gallons.... I don't know. That link you posted looks like a good price though.

7876_L_190d419b.jpg

I doubt that the Traveller "diesel" oil contains any zinc

It probably has plenty because it works, it's cheap, and it's allowed in pretty good quantities in oil of that spec. You might be able to find out. It's hard to beat $2.50/qt.

I would think most guys here just want the best and don’t worry too much about cost when it comes to oil

I would think most guys here just want the best and don’t worry too much about cost when it comes to oil

The 1968 service manual says to run 20w50 so that is what I run.

I run Royal Purple HPS 20w50. $50 +/- for oil and a filter is no big deal. That's less than it costs to fill the tank once a week. If I wanted to save money on gas and oil and ****, I'd drive a ******* Geo or Yugo!

You make the call.
This?
IMG_20181201_1206442.jpg

Or this?
257050.jpg
yugo-gv-placement-1528210669.jpg

bballfan1: "I would think most guys here just want the best and don’t worry too much about cost when it comes to oil"

Aye, there's the rub: can a cheapskate find happiness in an engine oil? For old engines like mine:

truck engine.jpg

van engine.jpg

Amsoil best of the best. Have it tested rather than just changing it. You’d be surprised how many miles it will last. The high zinc hot rod oil is second to none

Advance Auto, Auto zone, Walmart branded diesel 15w-40. Nobody runs their oil for 6000 miles or whatever arbitrary number recommended, not hot rodders IMO. Miserly tightwads maybe. People love to fuss about oil, and refresh the fluids! And end up changing it much sooner than it needs to be. I buy the diesel oils mentioned above as if its gonna be "oil down the drain" more frequently, at least I won't be throwing even more money "under the bridge" :rolleyes:

diesel oils no longer have the zinc in them they used to. best if you use a high zinc specialty oil blended for muscle cars and hot rods.

Joe Gibbs. It’s made for cars that have flat tappets and may sit for periods of time.

Last edited:
It's time to buy another 5 gallons of engine oil for my old Mopar LAs and RBs, and it would be nice to find something relatively economical. I have been using "Traveller" brand "fleet diesel oil" 15W-40 from Tractor Supply (due to its price; it has the lowest price I have found for such an oil), and which is advertised as being OK for older engines:

Traveller Premium All Fleet 15W-40 Diesel Engine Oil, 5 gal. at Tractor Supply Co.

However I doubt that the Traveller "diesel" oil contains any zinc, and I'm thinking maybe I should be using some other oil instead that would better lubricate my flat-tappet camshafts. I would appreciate any suggestions, while bearing in mind that I'm basically a cheapskate. Thanks.
For a stock engine, even the new CK version looks fine if you want to run a 40.
New Traveller 15W-40 API CK-4, SN analysis 2018

Here's their listing of all HDEO
HDEO_Sample_Summary

Last edited:
The 1968 service manual says to run 20w50 so that is what I run.

I run Royal Purple HPS 20w50. $50 +/- for oil and a filter is no big deal. That's less than it costs to fill the tank once a week. If I wanted to save money on gas and oil and ****, I'd drive a ******* Geo or Yugo!

You make the call.
This?
View attachment 1715266221
Or this?
View attachment 1715266222 View attachment 1715266223
I dont know My dream car is a red yugo with red insides sweetbphoto iam enlarging it for my man cave

My car sits a lot. I use 10W-30 Valvoline, and 1/2 bottle of Lucas break in additive. Some say that's not necessary, I say it's cheap insurance.

-
Back