What's the problem with this 1967 Barracuda trunk trim???

-

soonercruiser

Reaction score
I am assuming that the taillights are correct.
Why would he have placed the wrong size trim plate?
What specifically should I be looking for to replace it??

And, the the trunk body around it should be body color.
Not red to match the taillights

IMG_20231103_180032.jpg

IMG_20231103_180023.jpg

Last edited:
If it's a spacing issue it was probably a seal or gasket but picture would help

Last edited:
That 68 trim is worth some serious coin! 67 trim is a dime a dozen because it never gets damaged...

Because it sits out slightly further compared to 67. 67 sits in the "concave" part of trunk lid. If that makes sense. Shut the trunk with something hanging out, the bottom piece on 68 takes the brunt. Top piece if someone pushes down hard they might damage it.
Hey HemiSSDart, what is the reason for the 68 sustaining more damage than a 67?

What was said above. The lower is much more prone to damage as it sticks out from the trunk lid. The upper survived better but still was prone to damage, and no, they don't interchange even though they look the same...

Open the lid. IIRC there was a change in the lid springs and '68 has the slider between them

Thanks all you posters!
I was at MOPARS at the Park, Tulsa Raceway Park today, on my was back to OKC from Ames Iowa.
The first guy who comes up to me is a semi-Barracuda expert, who is also looking for a Notchback. How lucky was that???

He said what ya'll have said.....that for some reason the previous owner did not know the difference, and put 68 taillights on the car!
:(

And, I believe someone painted red where it should have been the blue body color around the horizontal bezel.
And, I can see from the many holes in my picture that those holes are for both the barracuda fish emblem, and the words Barracuda above it!

SO.........
Let me pose these 2 questions:

I really like the look of the picture by 69FBCuda, the yellow Cuda; where I would just have the body color paint and the stainless bezel going across, with only the "Barracuds" word.
Is that a 68/narrower trim?

If HemiSSDart is right, would it be $$ advantageous for me to sell my 67 trim, and buy the 68 Trim????

(and I think from what I have see, the '68 trim is still $900+)

Of ourse, the other option is just keep my trunk trim, paint the existing red to my body color, and BUY the 67 taillights?
The holes in my '67 trim would match the combo on the front fenders - having both the fish and the word Barracuda.

IMG_0477[1].JPG

Last edited:
@soonercruiser
Your blue car has correct 67 tail lights in it now.
The center tail panel is from a 68 and is taller than the 67 panel, The 67 panel is also textured to match the tail light inserts. Tail light and tail panel inserts are painted a factory grey agent.

The red area on your trunk should be body color.

The picture of the yellow car is correct!!! for 67. With barracuda lettering only no fish emblem .

You need to get a 67 tail panel to make your car correct.

Lon

Last edited:
67 trunk trim is a 3 piece set!!!
top thin , narrow center , thin bottom.

yellow car is correct!!!!

IMG_20200703_103700304.jpg

IMG_20220716_105522446_HDR.jpg

A 67 trim panel is worth more than $.008333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 :lol:

@soonercruiser
The center tail panel is from a 68 and is taller than the 67 panel, The 67 panel is also textured to match the tail light inserts. Tail light and tail panel inserts are painted a factory grey agent.

The picture of the yellow car is correct!!! for 67. With barracuda lettering only no fish emblem .

Lon
Thanks Lon.

So, in 67 there is no upper and lower pieces? Just a center piece.
I just figured that the arrangment of having both the Barracuda fish and name match what is on my front fenders. But, no matter.
So, looks like I need to find the more expensive 67 panel.

@soonercruiser

Lon
THX

Thanks all for chipping in!!
Looking at the prices for a set of decent tail lights....it won't make that much difference which way I go.

NOW!
LOOK AT MY THREAD ABOUT THE VALVE COVER BAFFLES!

Thanks Lon.

So, in 67 there is no upper and lower pieces? Just a center piece.
I just figured that the arrangment of having both the Barracuda fish and name match what is on my front fenders. But, no matter.
So, looks like I need to find the more expensive 67 panel.
67 uses all three pieces, the center one is narrower than the 68 panel on your car now so it matches the tail light inserts.
You tail lights are correct as ls.
Lon

-
Back