What's the problem with this 1967 Barracuda trunk trim???

-
Our 67 after its last rip tonight. I would keep it out for a bit but boat has to get tucked away and blocks car in.

20231105_135116.jpg

Last edited:
The issue is that the trunk lid is from a 68. You are correct that the holes in the middle are for emblem attachment. The holes for the upper and lower trim for a 67 are along the lip edges, as well as additional holes to mount the center piece all through the center area. This is difficult to modify as access to the mounting nuts is from inside the trunk. Your best bet is to locate a 67 decklid and trim.

Swapping to 68 taillights is an option, but as the reverse light makes up the outer section you will probably not have it light up as 67 & 69 have the reverse lights on the lower valence. 68 does not

FullSizeRender (5).jpg

$_57.jpg

You would have to fill the holes that would show from the 68 trim where it attaches near the middle, as the 67 center trim panel will not cover it.

Scored the '67 trim panel for $250 on eBay today.
In great condition, including the clips on back.

The only other "reasonable" one I saw on the web, the clips were pretty rusty.
It's just missing the "Barracuda" logo.
So, I've got most of what I need to put her back correct.

eBay trunk trim.jpg

Scored the '67 trim panel for $250 on eBay today.
In great condition, including the clips on back.

The only other "reasonable" one I saw on the web, the clips were pretty rusty.
It's just missing the "Barracuda" logo.
So, I've got most of what I need to put her back correct.

View attachment 1716163274
Yep, correct one. Now put your 68 trim on here for $300 and be ahead...

Man, that really chaps my hide... just that somebody turned the car out like that obviously screwed up...:BangHead:

My head is spinning after reading through this, I'm still not sure the original poster knows what he has or what that is.

On the 67 there are 3 separate pieces of trim.
A skinny one along the top.
The wide one in the middle
Another skinny one along the bottom

The area between them in the painted sheet metal trunk lid.

2018-03-17_013.jpg

On the 68 there are 2 pieces of trim.
Both are about 2" wide with polished edges top and bottom and painted between them.
One along the top of the trunk.
One along the bottom of the trunk.

On your car the 68 trim has been painted red, the polished portions are part of that trim.
The area between them that is black in the trunk lid itself that has had that area painted black.
Trim1.jpg

Ttrim2.jpg

Save yourself some headaches and get the correct 67 trim.

Alan

My head is spinning after reading through this, I'm still not sure the original poster knows what he has or what that is.

On the 67 there are 3 separate pieces of trim.
A skinny one along the top.
The wide one in the middle
Another skinny one along the bottom

The area between them in the painted sheet metal trunk lid.

View attachment 1716163560

On the 68 there are 2 pieces of trim.
Both are about 2" wide with polished edges top and bottom and painted between them.
One along the top of the trunk.
One along the bottom of the trunk.

On your car the 68 trim has been painted red, the polished portions are part of that trim.
The area between them that is black in the trunk lid itself that has had that area painted black.
View attachment 1716163561

View attachment 1716163562

Save yourself some headaches and get the correct 67 trim.

Alan
Yes, it was confusing at first.
But, towards the end of the posts the details got consistant.
I GET IT! :)

My upper and lower "Trim Strips" are a little weathered. But, hopefully they will clean up OK.
I have ordered the correct middle strip; got a good deal on eBay; versus the $900 some aftermaket places wanted.

Taking care of more important mechanical things first.
I will post the trunk lid corrections later this fall.

Sorry guys I still like the 68 the best! Even though I own a 67 now.
To the OP just put 68 taillights on it paint the center body color, the trim argent and at car shows just tell everyone it’s a 67 1/2

Be happy! To each their own, as they say. I've always made my cars "unique".
But, this time I'm striving for more original.

But, I do prefer the look of the yellow Barracuda rear end posted earlier in this thread....And 4spdragtop's too.
Like this intimidating view from the rear!

Barracuda eyes.jpg

Last edited:
I think you need to get a hold of this guy who has this 68 barracuda up for sale but he has a 67 deck lid and trim on his 68, he even installed the 67 back up lights. it's a mixed up MOPAR world!!!

trunk lid.jpg

trunk lid 2.jpg

-
Back