Whats the story with this Aftermarket A/C unit??

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the history of these A/C units??

Says "Sears" on the face, found a sears receipt from 1971, not 100% sure it is connected with this.

Bought the car from the original owner and he says the A/c was added shortly after the car was new (car is a 68 ) because he wasn't going to pay the "outrageous" price for the factory installed setup.

I bet Mr. Del (67dart273) knows what this is

Yes Mam and they worked good. I installed them at Montgomery Wards auto center in the early 70's They came as a kit per application (engine and vehicle) and the under dash units were universal. The compressors were Your or Tecumseh built units. Also like the Chrysler Airtemp kits that were available for dealers to install. I have one of those in my Swinger.

Attachments

• 074 (2).jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 232
Had a similar unit in a 66 Plymouth wagon. I think it had a York pump on it... It would blow ice crystals...

I recall having one like the OP's Sears unit kicking around here.

Mechanically, it was almost identical to the under-dash units that are often found on 1965-68 Mustangs - just with the squared off vents and fascia in place of the stylized bezel and round outlets.

-Kurt

Had a similar unit in a 66 Plymouth wagon. I think it had a York pump on it... It would blow ice crystals...

They would keep a 6 pack cold setting on the hump!

must have been on the new wagon owner's mind in the 60s ......the car in the pics is a 68 Sport satellite wagon.

One very similar to that (if someone "said" it I might even remember the brand) was installed in my V code 70RR. Frankly I would MUCH rather have one of those instead of factory. Much easier to deal with, if you need to work on it, just dump the charge and pull it out of there.

In fact, until I found "most of" a Vintage Air system on CL for a 'eck of a good price, I was planning on buying a 200.00 evap off ebay, and rig up the rest of the underhood "stuff."

Sears of course never "built" anything. That system could very well BE the same brand as I had. On mine, there was a very heavy cast iron pulley which bolted onto the "stack" with 3 bolts.

On mine, there was a very heavy cast iron pulley which bolted onto the "stack" with 3 bolts.

Exactly, I saw that ....I didn't get any pics of the under hood parts (tomorrow) but there is a cast iron crank pulley that you can tell was added on.

I pulled one of those (same type) out of my car and tossed it in the shed out back.

Two cars I used to drive had them, so Del isn't the only old fart around here. :D

I too installed alot of 'um working at Montgomery Wards in the 70's. Good units.

-
Back