Whats up with these exhaust valves?

-

19DUSTER73

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
These came out of a 13-1 iron headed small block. They have break in plus a couple 1/8 mile passes on them. Pistons and plugs looked great. They are Competition Products severe duty valves.

20171011_190803.jpg

20171011_190435.jpg

20171011_190803.jpg

If I was a betting man I'd say it piston material on your valves.

No more bets please! Hand waves left to right....... ( Dice rolls)

Dangit, I wanted in on that bet but you closed it too fast.
Looks like the telltale signs of detonation damage to me also.

I'll post a pick of a piston when I get home later today. They didn't have any noticeable golf ball type damage to them that I remember. Most of the engines run time was on e85 with 36 degrees of timing. Detonation was my first thought too but I was thinking I remember the pistons looked to good. I was running without an air cleaner. I'll have to examine the pistons closer so I can stop scratching my head. Thanks guys

Did you see the valves when they were new? I've never seen detonation do that to a valve. The piston would be done long before the valve. I could be wrong because I haven't seen everything.

That looks to me like the machining on the valve was done with a dull tool.

Did you see the valves when they were new? I've never seen detonation do that to a valve. The piston would be done long before the valve. I could be wrong because I haven't seen everything.

That looks to me like the machining on the valve was done with a dull tool.

It looks like chunks of aluminum that stuck to the steel valve surface from here.
You know how pictures are though.:D
It could be plug metal even, and not necessarily off a piston.

Might be simply the type of deposits with using e85? If you scrap some off the valve you might see if it crumbles to grit/powder or if it stays intact like bits of alloy or?

The valves did not look that way when new. In person it does look like they are blistered. I'll fool with them some more tonight. I'll also try and dig up some info on the valves. They were purchased a few years ago and I can't remember the details on them.

The valves did not look that way when new. In person it does look like they are blistered. I'll fool with them some more tonight. I'll also try and dig up some info on the valves. They were purchased a few years ago and I can't remember the details on them.

Well, that makes a difference. On my iPad they look like materiel was pulled from the face of the when it was machined. If they look like blisters then it is materiel transfer from somewhere else.

There were no additives used. Engine was broke in on sunoco 110 and switched to E85. I got to scratching some of the "blisters". Comes off like a chrome plating. Competition products says they are 21-4N stainless. Chrome plating is used in the description so I can only assume thats what it is. Its hard stuff to scratch off. Thanks for all the replies guys.

There were no additives used. Engine was broke in on sunoco 110 and switched to E85. I got to scratching some of the "blisters". Comes off like a chrome plating. Competition products says they are 21-4N stainless. Chrome plating is used in the description so I can only assume thats what it is. Its hard stuff to scratch off. Thanks for all the replies guys.
I would have assumed any chrome plating would have been applied to the valve stems, for wear purposes, because stainless is relatively "soft", tough but relatively soft, subject to galling. But that is just speculation on my part.

I was thinking the same thing. Its dick hard so it must be some sort of coating lol

I was cleaning up the valves and looking them over to maybe use in a new combo since they had so little run time on them. Wont be using them now. Had a little hydraulic issue with the old motor. I hit water when porting the heads so I epoxied it. From all my internet reading I learned that the ethanol probably softened the epoxy, it let go and leaked some water in the cylinder. Live and learn.

I was cleaning up the valves and looking them over to maybe use in a new combo since they had so little run time on them. Wont be using them now. Had a little hydraulic issue with the old motor. I hit water when porting the heads so I epoxied it. From all my internet reading I learned that the ethanol probably softened the epoxy, it let go and leaked some water in the cylinder. Live and learn.
been there, done that on a 440 CI head. I tried epoxy, that didn't work. Had to have them welded twice, before that worked. No fun.

-
Back