What's up with this brace?

-

AlV

Crabs in a barrel
Reaction score
Hi all,
So I recently picked up these sb 727 trans braces and the right side fit but the left seems to be an inch too long.
I'm stumped...What say you?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 411
You got two of the same brace instead of the left and the right would be my guess.

Thanks for the assist Trailbeast.
I checked and they are different.
Here is a pic of them side by side.

Do you know if these are correct.
The short on fits fine. It's the long one that doesn't align.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 396
I had a similar problem with the trans braces for my Demon. Bought a pair of chrome ones & only 1 side fit...:banghead:

What is the length on your left side brace?

sorry to hear you are having problems with these

a little extra info on them, they came off a 1975 360 with a 727 behind it
I intended to re use them but they interfered with my headers

I wonder if maybe you have them upside down ?
(I know when I first installed them I had that issue)

hopefully we can get this sorted out

i came across this on a google search

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/7634524/site_id/1

post # 140615 sounds like it might contain a clue
he claims he swapped a 318 out for a 360 and his (318) brace was about an inch too short

sounds like the exact opposite problem you have

now (I'm just thinking out loud here) if the oil pan is different between the 318/340 and the 360 maybe ma mopar moved the mounting boss for this brace around a bit aswell?

I had a similar problem with the trans braces for my Demon. Bought a pair of chrome ones & only 1 side fit...:banghead:

What is the length on your left side brace?

Well it's good to know it's not just me :) thanks C.

The left side is 11-1/2" center to center
The right side is 9-1/2 center to center

sorry to hear you are having problems with these

a little extra info on them, they came off a 1975 360 with a 727 behind it
I intended to re use them but they interfered with my headers

I wonder if maybe you have them upside down ?
(I know when I first installed them I had that issue)

hopefully we can get this sorted out

Hey, we're cool, we'll figure it out. Stuff happens. Thanks for the additional info. I'm trying to install these on a 69 340 /w 727. I wonder if something (the mount on the block) is different between the 340 and 360.

Yeah I thought I had it backwards too and tried different potions but I think I have it set correctly.

The problem is the drivers side brace is for a newer block and you have an older block. They changed the pad location in the mid 70's. Not positive but I think it was 74 when they changed

i came across this on a google search

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/7634524/site_id/1

post # 140615 sounds like it might contain a clue
he claims he swapped a 318 out for a 360 and his (318) brace was about an inch too short

sounds like the exact opposite problem you have

now (I'm just thinking out loud here) if the oil pan is different between the 318/340 and the 360 maybe ma mopar moved the mounting boss for this brace around a bit aswell?

I read the post. Yes, the OP went from a 340 to a 360 and tried to move the 340 brace over but it was short. This is the opposite of me.

I 'm using 75 360 Braces on a 340 and it's long. Deductive reasoning indicates there may be different sized brackets for the drivers side, possibly because the mounting boss location is different on the two blocks.

The problem is the drivers side brace is for a newer block and you have an older block. They changed the pad location in the mid 70's. Not positive but I think it was 74 when they changed

Hi Tracy! ding ding ding. Thank you for validating that for us.
That's what we were thinking.

Guess, I'll be on the look out for an early style brace.

man that sucks

any chance you can massage it a bit, redrill the hole and cut it down to fit?
(unless of course you don't want too, which i totally understand)

man that sucks

any chance you can massage it a bit, redrill the hole and cut it down to fit?
(unless of course you don't want too, which i totally understand)

I'm going to measure the workable area on the brace tomorrow. Check if there is enough material there to shorten it without changing the geometry, or impacting its twist. If I can, that might be an option. Unless, I find the correct one for this combo first.

Al these are off a '71 340 if that helps. I'm not going to use them.

2C33C1CC-4B8A-4065-8E19-F4CBACDE7116_zpsg1gqioec.jpg

Hi Brian,Those look good. Thank you!
I'll send you a PM

I simply cut mine to fit and re-welded it. Then only to throw them out when I put my TTI headers on.

Chevies don't use them, and they only have 1/2 a bellhousing, like was said, it wont make any difference if they are there.

Just toss it, nothing will happen

That's cool. I'm just being OCD I think and want to put all the pieces back on :)

I simply cut mine to fit and re-welded it. Then only to throw them out when I put my TTI headers on.

Yeah, I was thinking the same, cutting the piece and welding it to the correct length looked very doable.

Chevies don't use them, and they only have 1/2 a bellhousing, like was said, it wont make any difference if they are there.

haha good point. Hell looking at the 350 block seems like it has half the bottom end hanging out too.

x2,cant use em with headers, so i never use em.never noticed a diff. without them.

Right now I'm using the stock Hi po manifolds, but I may switch to headers in the future and will end up pulling them. For now, I am trying to put all the pieces back on .

-
Back