What's wrong with my motor?

-
Been there, done that... I’ve got a destroyed short block to show for it!

a person asked if cam bearings are in correct position. old ones and a cam problem can twist cam bearings . and any u try cam and lifters will not oil. ck means take apart and look. cam bearings r the last as a suspect. u build any motor I me I do it correctly. cam bearings positioned correctly. may shave bearings to make loose don't shave if u don't know how a track race thing. but ck oil holes on cam bearings . point a raced motor twistes cam bearings can slide off oil holes. ck then go oil pump.

Glad you cleared it up!!

Let me guess....... crank key straight up..... top gear dot straight down.

Yep.

Explanation here - Finally found my problem...warning to all.

Here is the picture I never uploaded. Sorry it is fuzzy, might have been why I didn't follow through. Note the dot to the right next to the teeth.

Parts 153.jpg

A lesson in why you should always degree the cam.

Installed like whats in the pic, the cam is advanced about 35*(2.5 teeth).

It’s not an uncommon occurance.

wuh-wait?

You're supposed to time to that wee dot, that's barely visible? Or you timed to that and you were supposed to time to the big monster dot?

Yes, I was supposed to use the small dot. It wasn't all that invisible, I just overlooked it because the zero was so large. Wish I would claim that I was at least drinking, but I know I wasn't.

Just for reference, here is how it looked when I put it back together:
DusterMotor 001.jpg

A lesson in why you should always degree the cam.

Installed like whats in the pic, the cam is advanced about 35*(2.5 teeth).

It’s not an uncommon occurance.

I was going to just rate your post as "Agree", but I don't have the experience to say this is not uncommon. I agree with the rest, though.

:lol:

Ah well, water under the bridge. Car has been running for the better part of 8 years now (for the most part).

Sure hope not...
I bought my motor as an assembled short block and heads. Heads were fresh and the short block checked out Ok. Took the t-chain off (but can't remember why lol) but I put it back on similarly to what's described here. Didn't degree the cam because it was stock and I don't have the timing specs. All I know is the motor came out of a 1990 Durango or truck (roller cammed 360 LA). If I did put the chain on wrong I hope the cam is so mild that the valves haven't hit the pistons as I just got it running! Did a compression test before. I'll have to do one again and compare the results.

Yes, I was supposed to use the small dot. It wasn't all that invisible, I just overlooked it because the zero was so large. Wish I would claim that I was at least drinking, but I know I wasn't.

View attachment 1715351204
Man this is an awesome learning tool! This should be a sticky thread!! Thanks for sharing!!

I did the exact same thing as you, OP. I drove my car and knew it was way down on power. Ended up snapping off and intake valve and destroying a piston, bent some rods, scored the cylinder wall, tore up my new edelbrock heads, etc. I had built the engine myself and it ran great, went 12.80's in the 1/4 with iron heads. I swapped to edelbrock's and a bigger cam and totally screwed up the timing.
20190202_160335.jpg
20190202_135919.jpg
20190202_135914.jpg
20190203_180059.jpg

This is some priceless info for a newbie like me! I'm rebuilding my first engine now. Well first full rebuild I have refreshed quite a few but never a full tear down machine work fresh from the ground up!

View attachment 1715351204
I never would have known, and probably have the cam in wrong in my car now.

You know come to think about it I built a 318 years ago that I put in my barracuda. It was a stock bottom end 67 318 that I put 360 heads , stock 2bbl 360 cam new timing chain new gaskets and it was absolutely weak as pond water. I always thought that it was because of the low compression caused by the 360 heads now I'm wondering if I didnt do this too! That engine is long gone but i bet I did this and never knew it!!

I was one of those who never knew how to degree a cam. I bought a degree kit off of Summit in which comes with instructions on how to degree. Watched a bunch of videos on Youtube and then went at it. It's not that hard really.

Last edited:
-
Back