Finally found my problem...warning to all.

-

DionR

Reaction score
Little bit of background. I've asked a couple of questions about my problem, and given this background before, but figured I would bring up to speed anyone that may not seen the other one or two threads.

I got my '74 Duster 360 out of wrecking yard back in '91 or '92 and rebuilt the motor and then drove it as my daily driver up until 2000 or so without a problem. It traded hands at that point in time to a friend (it was his first car) before I got it back about 2 years ago. While my buddy owned it, he pulled the numbers matching shortblock and put it on a stand while he ran a different shortblock. When I got the car back, I put the numbers matching motor back together and dropped it in the car and tried to get it running. From the first time it ran again, it has made a horrible rattling noise, all top end, like none of the lifters would pump up. The motor was virtually unchanged from the way I ran it, so the noise was a mystery.

I've pulled the pan to check the windage tray, put all new lifters in (and replaced a couple of pushrods that were bent), worked to get any exhaust leaks fixed, everything I could. Several months ago, the buddy of mine that owned it last came over and we spend the day trying to diagnose it. We found that if we pulled the fuel pump the noise would get much better, so off came the cover. The only thing we could find under there was that the cam retainer plate was slightly deformed and there was a pretty good internal oil leak at the oil gallery on the drivers side. Figured it was bleeding pressure from the lifters and keeping them from pumping up, so I pounded some plugs into the holes (being careful not to block the intersecting oil passages) and put it back together. The noise was worse, if anything. I was done, and figured it was time to pull the motor and tear it apart.

So, last weekend I got the motor out and pulled the heads. This is what I found...

Parts147.jpg

All eight pistons are like that. When I put the motor together, the pistons didn't have valve reliefs. :angry7:

We checked the lifter rise when the piston was at top dead center and found it was .16" off the base circle, over half the lift of the cam (Isky Mega 270). It appears that the new double roller timing chain I installed before I put the motor in the car advanced my cam about 40 degrees (IVO event should be 27 BTDC, but it would take about 67 degrees BTDC to get the .160 lift at the cam). Now my U heads are only cores and all eight 2.02 valves will need to be replaced, lifters are collapsed on the intakes, and I probably have some more bent pushrods. I think the pistons are ok, although I am baffled at how the valves could "cut" reliefs into the piston tops (there doesn't appear to be any metal pushed anywhere and the bottom of the pistons doesn't show any signs of cracks or anything). I never really drove the car, went around the block a couple of times hoping to pump the lifters up, but mostly just idling, and one period of 2000+ rpm when I fired it up with the new lifters.

Moral of the story, degree your cam, regardless of where the timing gear came from, what cam is in the car, or anything else. I assumed the sprocket was machined correctly and didn't check and it cost me two years of driving my car and a considerable chunk of cash. :disgust:

Yeah. I can see where that might be a problem.

...........We checked the lifter rise when the piston was at top dead center...........

If I understand you correctly you were checking for piston clearance? Regardless of cam "degree" the closest valve/ piston occurance is NOT at TDC. You need to check probably 20* or so, I.E. rotate the crank "up and over" checking as you go.

It's a sad tale, alright. You aren't the first. another thing that can cause that ---not in your case, evidently---is valve float

If I understand you correctly you were checking for piston clearance? Regardless of cam "degree" the closest valve/ piston occurance is NOT at TDC. You need to check probably 20* or so, I.E. rotate the crank "up and over" checking as you go.

I see what your saying. I was really just looking for a number and it made sense to look at it when the piston was at top dead center. The reality is, this cam was run for 8 or 9 years without making a mark, and then I swap the timing chain for a new one and now the valves are "machining" their own reliefs in the top of the pistons. How bad the clearance (interference) is, is almost irrelevant.

The closest the intake valves come to the pistons is just after TDC on the exhaust stroke, and the order of poerations for me is to degree it and then check piston to valve with clay.

valve checking springs and a mic. I agree 100% with your assesment. Never ever take anything for granted. Check,check and then triple check. Look at everything. like how far holes are threaded and into what. check to make sure you installed all the oil plugs. I even check to see how close the water pump impeller is to the part that it goes against on the timing cover. chase all threads with a tap and clean out with compressed air. Clean clean and clean some more. How bout the distance from the oil pickup to the bottom of the pan? The smallest of things can come back and bite you. THX for the picture!! Good luck and enjoy!

Little bit of background. I've asked a couple of questions about my problem, and given this background before, but figured I would bring up to speed anyone that may not seen the other one or two threads.

I got my '74 Duster 360 out of wrecking yard back in '91 or '92 and rebuilt the motor and then drove it as my daily driver up until 2000 or so without a problem. It traded hands at that point in time to a friend (it was his first car) before I got it back about 2 years ago. While my buddy owned it, he pulled the numbers matching shortblock and put it on a stand while he ran a different shortblock. When I got the car back, I put the numbers matching motor back together and dropped it in the car and tried to get it running. From the first time it ran again, it has made a horrible rattling noise, all top end, like none of the lifters would pump up. The motor was virtually unchanged from the way I ran it, so the noise was a mystery.

I've pulled the pan to check the windage tray, put all new lifters in (and replaced a couple of pushrods that were bent), worked to get any exhaust leaks fixed, everything I could. Several months ago, the buddy of mine that owned it last came over and we spend the day trying to diagnose it. We found that if we pulled the fuel pump the noise would get much better, so off came the cover. The only thing we could find under there was that the cam retainer plate was slightly deformed and there was a pretty good internal oil leak at the oil gallery on the drivers side. Figured it was bleeding pressure from the lifters and keeping them from pumping up, so I pounded some plugs into the holes (being careful not to block the intersecting oil passages) and put it back together. The noise was worse, if anything. I was done, and figured it was time to pull the motor and tear it apart.

So, last weekend I got the motor out and pulled the heads. This is what I found...

Parts147.jpg

All eight pistons are like that. When I put the motor together, the pistons didn't have valve reliefs. :angry7:

We checked the lifter rise when the piston was at top dead center and found it was .16" off the base circle, over half the lift of the cam (Isky Mega 270). It appears that the new double roller timing chain I installed before I put the motor in the car advanced my cam about 40 degrees (IVO event should be 27 BTDC, but it would take about 67 degrees BTDC to get the .160 lift at the cam). Now my U heads are only cores and all eight 2.02 valves will need to be replaced, lifters are collapsed on the intakes, and I probably have some more bent pushrods. I think the pistons are ok, although I am baffled at how the valves could "cut" reliefs into the piston tops (there doesn't appear to be any metal pushed anywhere and the bottom of the pistons doesn't show any signs of cracks or anything). I never really drove the car, went around the block a couple of times hoping to pump the lifters up, but mostly just idling, and one period of 2000+ rpm when I fired it up with the new lifters.

Moral of the story, degree your cam, regardless of where the timing gear came from, what cam is in the car, or anything else. I assumed the sprocket was machined correctly and didn't check and it cost me two years of driving my car and a considerable chunk of cash. :disgust:

Are you sure you used the proper marks on the timing gears for aligning them. I have seen the wrong marks used and that creates lots of bad mojo inside the engine.

Jack

Are you sure you used the proper marks on the timing gears for aligning them. I have seen the wrong marks used and that creates lots of bad mojo inside the engine.

Jack

Pretty sure. As I recall, there was only one mark on the crank sprocket, and three on the cam sprocket. Worst I should have been off is 4 degrees one way or the other.

I found a cam card for the cam last night online (same grind but for a Chevy, though). The card showed that the cam should have been at .050" of cam lift at 1 degree before TDC, I have .160" of lift at TDC. The cam is way off.

I tell people all the time about just lining the dots is no good.

every time I've degree'd a cam that for fun I check where the dots really put it...so far always advanced.
Mine came out to show 6* retarded on the gear to achieve straight up 110*...

One time I just lined up 2* advanced, then checked later to find 8* retarded is really 2*advance.lol

when you have valve float, the springs spin and will eat into the spring pads, look there.

I tell people all the time about just lining the dots is no good.

Well you never told me, or I would have done it! :-D

That's part of the reason I thought I would bring it up, for those (like I was) that thought it was close enough and never checked.

Jack

:eek:ops:

Got the cover off, and low and behold, you were right. How embarrassing.

Snapped a couple of pictures, but haven't gotten them off the camera yet.

In the end, I didn't look at the crank sprocket closely enough. There are 3 keyways cut in it, with 2 of them marked with either -4 or +4. The other key had what I thought was the timing mark over it, when in fact it was a "0". The actual mark is a little tiny tick a couple of teeth away from it. I saw the zero, thought it was the mark and slammed it together. Never had one with the 3 possible keyways, didn't pay enough attention.

Wish I could find some way to blame this on someone or something else. No go, though.

:sad8:

In the end, I didn't look at the crank sprocket closely enough. There are 3 keyways cut in it, with 2 of them marked with either -4 or +4. The other key had what I thought was the timing mark over it, when in fact it was a "0". The actual mark is a little tiny tick a couple of teeth away from it. I saw the zero, thought it was the mark and slammed it together. Never had one with the 3 possible keyways, didn't pay enough attention.

Wish I could find some way to blame this on someone or something else. No go, though.

I have built quite a few engines. I hate to admit it, but I did the same thing once. I read the gear wrong when lining up the dots due to some mis-informed advise. It was in a small block chevy but it did the same damage as you have here. I had lots of upper end noise that sounded like the valves were out of adjustment. I had a mechanic I know check it out (he is a very experianced ASE certified tech), he readjusted the valves and said the noise was a caused by the big cam I installed. He felt like an a$$ when one of the valves finally broke at idle and went through a piston! I always double check my work and if I am in doubt about something, I ask for advise from a proven source-not someone that claims they have done it before! Then if I still mess it up, I have nobody to blame but myself.:smile:

Well you never told me, or I would have done it! :-D

That's part of the reason I thought I would bring it up, for those (like I was) that thought it was close enough and never checked.

Yes Humble pie is a tough one, specially, shared with friends.
Answers are so simple.....Finding them is what will send you to the funny farm.

Glad you found you problem! now you can put it back together with confidence:cheers:

Make sure you smooth off the sharp edges of the "new" Valve Re leafs.
don't want any detonation or fuel separation from those "Custom piston notches" =P~

I had mine installed the same way. Luckily, for some reason, I took the timing cover back off and noticed it before I ever fired it up. If it's like my sprocket was, the mark was so small, I could barely see it.

Yep the taste of humble pie. I did about the same thing over 30 years ago and had the crank gear retarded 4 degrees. Made some nice deeper valve reliefs for me but that was the extent of the damage. Also the car had no power at all.

Glad you found it. That way you won't make the same mistake again. That's when it would get real embarrassing.

Jack

Just a mistake. Anyone that says they dont make them is either an alien or lying...lol.

-
Back