What's Wrong With This Picture?

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
OK you bikers, tell me what's wrong, lol!

Attachments

• IMG_0205.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 259
The clip that holds the master link in place is gone. Good thing you caught it before going down the road.

The spring clip that holds the master link together is missing.
Don't use the bike until you replace it.

Kenny

the master link is coming loose?

Close....

You have a left hand chain an a right hand sprocket?

LMAO! I can fix that with my metric adjustable wrench.

the dildo knocker is in sideways

:shock:

The clip that holds the master link in place is gone. Good thing you caught it before going down the road.

Yep!

The spring clip that holds the master link together is missing.
Don't use the bike until you replace it.

Kenny

zactly!

I don't know why you're worried, it's WINTER!!

:-D

Shouldnt there be a clip for the master link??

Yes sir there should! This bike I bought is an odd mix of perfect condition parts melded with life threatening issues. I caught this today when I was cleaning and rebuilding the sprocket hub.

remember to install the close end of the clip in the direction the chain travels, installed the other way it may pop out if something brushes against it.

aaahhhh it will be fine....lol

:read2:

I hope that you didn't buy it that way. Good catch ramcharger.

Yeah I did. The guy swore up and down the bike "..was in perfect operating condition". He was actually letting his kid ride this bike and went on a trip to the salt flats this past summer. He kept wondering why I trailered this bike home instead of riding it back to Denver (about 40 miles on a 75 mph highway).

Stay tuned for another killer picture.

remember to install the close end of the clip in the direction the chain travels, installed the other way it may pop out if something brushes against it.

Absolutely! Always install the clip with the closed end toward the direction of chain travel.

What kind of bike is it? I've been trying to figure out the squarish cast looking frame, and is that a drum brake?

What kind of bike is it? I've been trying to figure out the squarish cast looking frame, and is that a drum brake?

'77 KZ1000 with a rear disc. What you see is the hub that houses a rubber damper array. Here's a pic of the hub after cleaning it up and repacking the bearings. You can see the disc and caliper on the other side.

Attachments

• IMG_0203.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 195
This will turn your bike into a flat-tracker when you least expect it. Tell me what's wrong here. :toothy10:

Attachments

• IMG_0190.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 191
This could kill as well. Can't be too careful with a used bike...... or car for that matter.

Attachments

• IMG_0157.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 184
I used to clean everything up real well and put a dab of rtv on the sidelink just for a little bit of added insurance...

Throw a zip tie or bread bag tie on it, no problem!

Wire twist tie should do it!

I used to clean everything up real well and put a dab of rtv on the sidelink just for a little bit of added insurance...

I have no idea how long this guy rode it like this and I test rode it like this. I know you know how dangerous this is but for those who don't, in a best case senario the chain will bind in the countershaft cover and lock the engine sending parts everwhere. Worst case is loosing a leg from flying parts plus crashing to boot.

Good idea ink! A properly installed master link clip should never fall off but the added insurance and 5 minutes of time could save a life.

I even knew the master link clip was gone because I used to ride BMX way too much. :toothy10: The other two pics im completely clueless on though

Ouch! I didn't know a lost master link clip would do such tremendous damage. Glad you caught it in time!

de-bugging a new (used) bike is always fun!
and the further you dig the more you find

I even knew the master link clip was gone because I used to ride BMX way too much. :toothy10: The other two pics im completely clueless on though

Ouch! I didn't know a lost master link clip would do such tremendous damage. Glad you caught it in time!

The first of the two you speak of was due to a poorly routed float bowl vent line that got sucked in behind the front sprocket and pushed the countershaft seal all the way in... to the point that there was no seal whatsoever and it was puking oil everywhere, mostly under the rear tire.

The second is a stretched stud that holds the front axle to the front fork. Front wheel falls off or cocks over and I'm dead.

de-bugging a new (used) bike is always fun!
and the further you dig the more you find

No joke! Thank Goodness I bought this in the winter and decided to tear it apart BEFORE I rode it hard. I knew it had problems, but dang man. This sucker was a suicycle.

-
Back