Whats your opinions on power?

-

71valiant

Make fast, break, repeat.
Reaction score
Wondering what kind of numbers you guys think this may put down. Its in a 67 Valiant. 295 rear tire with an 8.75 rear 3:91 with suregrip. Heads have been ported and polished.
Heres the link to the head work. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=180777
360. .30 over
Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold
Holley 650 DP
Engine Quest magnum cylinder heads, 62cc closed combustion chambers
10:1 compression ratio
2.02/1.60 Scorpion stainless steel intake/exhaust valves
Comp Cam beehive valve springs
Comp Cam 1.6 ratio adjustable rocker arms
Ross flat top forged pistons, Piston top .004 below deck, piston to cylinder head quench clearance .043 inch
Eagle SIR forged steel connecting rods with ARP rod bolts
Mopar cast iron crankshaft.

Heres the cam card.
x6bek7.jpg

More than a briggs and less than a street Hemi.

But how about 8 Briggs in series parallel?

(well 4, anyway, LOL)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnRE5U5l6kM"]HOMEMADE 4 CYLINDER BRIGGS PROJECT (part 10) - YouTube[/ame]

Desktop Dyno says 343 HP @ 5000 and 398 LB FT @ 4000.

Oops, missed that the heads were ported. Without flow numbers, there's nothing set in stone, but just plugging in "ported heads" and the program comes up with 393 HP @ 5500 and 416 LB FT @ 4000.

It needs more carburetor and cam.

With the Mopar 528 cam and a 750 it comes to 426 HP @ 5500 and 436 LB FT @ 4500.

Your camshaft is a poor choice with that much compression.

You can always sell it to someone building something more mild. I think with that compression, iron heads and that cam, you're gonna have a problem on pump gas.

It has a 114 LSA so that makes the intake valve closing late. That'll help keep cylinder pressure down so you might get lucky.

I agree.
More cam and carb.
Maybe a pair off TTI stepped headers if you don't already have them ?
Nice foundation otherwise.

Whats a comparable hydraulic cam for the 528? Ive never ran a mechanical. Kinda leery of one.

There's really not one. You "could" go to something about the same lift with around 250@ .050 on a 112, but that's getting steep in duration. That would be about the equivalent. Generally a comparable hydraulic is about 10* bigger because of the lash and lobe difference of a solid. It's a good rule to go by, but in your case, 250 @ .050 is getting big. Nothing wrong with a solid. You should try one. I didn't like girls either till I was about 6 or 7.

I was told I could run hydraulic lifters with a mechanical cam to avoid having to make valve adjustments. Any truth to this?

I was told I could run hydraulic lifters with a mechanical cam to avoid having to make valve adjustments. Any truth to this?

The frequent valve adjustment thing is a total MYTH. You MIGHT want to check them once a year. Especially if you run good quality rockers.

-
Back