Wheel Adapter Help !!

-

scottylack

Reaction score
Found a set of wheel adapters on ebay ... 1.25 thick ... nice pieces...

QUESTION ... They did not have a 5 x 4 to 5 x 4.5 .....but they do have a 5 x 100m to 5 x 4.5 ..... 100mm is 3.94 inches ... will this work with the 5 x 4 bolt pattern...? Is it close enough, or will that 6/100 make a difference. if so, can they be relieved by drilling?

I wouldn't do it. Running spacers in itself is not the "right" way to go to LBP. Then you throw in the slightly modified or slightly not the correct fit and you may be asking for problems. I'm no expert on the subject but, I have ran spacers with no issues. They were the correct 4-4.5 though. I just don't want to see you getting hurt or damaging your car over it. Sorry for being so negative.......I just did a search and they have them at jegs for 60$ apiece!! Wow, I didn't realize how expensive they are now.

Won't work. The .060" difference puts a side load on the studs and causes them to break. Drilling the holes out a bit makes the wheel easier to put on the car but the taper on the seat and lug nuts puts the same strain on the studs. Learned this the hard way when I tried to use the minivan spare that came with my '66 Valiant. How many adapters do you need? I have 4 and will only need 2.

I've got two 5X4 to 5X4.5 adapters. Not sure about the thickness, but pm me if you're interested and I will go take pictures and get them measured.

Found a set of wheel adapters on ebay ... 1.25 thick ... nice pieces...

QUESTION ... They did not have a 5 x 4 to 5 x 4.5 .....but they do have a 5 x 100m to 5 x 4.5 ..... 100mm is 3.94 inches ... will this work with the 5 x 4 bolt pattern...? Is it close enough, or will that 6/100 make a difference. if so, can they be relieved by drilling?
Trans Dapt part# 7066 adapts 5 on 4 to 5 on 4.5.
It is 1" thick and as with all adapters, you must periodically re-check tightness. I ran these for about a year on my Duster until I installed my disc brakes and 8 1/4 rear axle. I had no trouble, but did not subject them to high speed cornering. A temporary solution at best, I passed them on to my brother, who now has them on his /6 dart.

Yeah, it was a temporary thing for me also. They serve their purpose if you really want to continue driving while waiting to make the next change to your car.

I would run some locktite on the lug nuts that hold the adapter to the drum. DAMHIK

The instructions included with adapters plainly state Not for racing or performance use" something like that. Also states "Make sure the part seats flat against the drum or hub." People ignored those warnings and adapters got a bad reputation.
I just installed 4 a few days ago. There were weighs welded to the drums (factory balancing) which interfeared with proper seating on 2 drums. Very minimal grinding to those weighs solved the problem.
I know my adapters are properly installed (right and tight). No worries here.

Cool...I'm going to give it a shot ... for the backs only ...I'm not racing...just cruising locally

-
Back