Wheel Adapters

-

Topless69

Reaction score
Does anyone know who sells 5x4 to 5x4.5 (SBP-BBP)wheel adapters with the proper 7/16 stud holes to 1/2 lug studs?
I’m seeing a lot of metric stuff that’s close, but not SAE

They look a little spendy these days. I'd keep fishin' a while.............

I am a fan of spacers, their use doesn't bother me a bit. I DONT care for the adapters idea, I doubt I would do it.
But, if you must........
Spend the money for the billet ones 100%. NO CAST GARBAGE!!!

Something to consider , I unfortunately did not . I bought a set of Keystone Klassics in the uni lug pattern for my sbp Dart just figured I'd use the adapters. The wheel adapters for the 4" to 4 1/2" are 1" thick . When installed on my Dart with the wheels they stick out almost a 1/2" to far and will rub the lips on the fender wells. If you're looking for a set with or without the Keystones for a Duster, Demon or Dart Sport these should work okay for you. Let me know and should be able to make you a fair deal. Shipping for the wheels would be a bit much

I got a lightly used set of these
1715817850343.png

Damn, I just sold 8 of them and a rough set of 4.5 rallys for $150 just to get rid of them.

I got a lightly used set of theseView attachment 1716250330

Those are straight garbage. Absolute trash. It’s not a question of whether or not they will crack, it is only a question of when. There’s not enough cast material there to provide the strength needed to support those studs.

Adapters are perfectly safe if they’re made of the proper material and are thick enough to put enough of that material around the studs. In general, if you’re looking at aluminum spacers they should be billet and at minimum about 3/4” thick.

I am a fan of spacers, their use doesn't bother me a bit. I DONT care for the adapters idea, I doubt I would do it.
But, if you must........
Spend the money for the billet ones 100%. NO CAST GARBAGE!!!
X10000000000. And hub centric. The cast ones wobble themselves loose. Ask me how I know. Awful, awful, Product. Billet or nothing.

X10000000000. And hub centric. The cast ones wobble themselves loose. Ask me how I know. Awful, awful, Product. Billet or nothing.

Hub centric is nice, but unnecessary.

The most important thing to remember is that you have two sets of lug nuts, and they both need to be re-torqued on the same intervals. Just like a new aluminum wheel there’s a regular schedule for doing that. Except with an adapter you have to pull the wheel to do the inners.

Either way those thin cast spacers are junk.

Those are straight garbage. Absolute trash. It’s not a question of whether or not they will crack, it is only a question of when. There’s not enough cast material there to provide the strength needed to support those studs.

Adapters are perfectly safe if they’re made of the proper material and are thick enough to put enough of that material around the studs. In general, if you’re looking at aluminum spacers they should be billet and at minimum about 3/4” thick.
you are, of course, entitled to your opinion.

I used hub centric 6061 billet adapters on this car to be able to use Bullit rims back in the early 2000's, NEVER had an issue with them over 8 years. they were 3/4" thick, the wheels had a pocket behind the spokes between the lug holes which allowed the lugnuts to the car to sit in....they served 2 purposes: to give me the proper backspacing offset (4.93" backspace, +11MM offset) to fit the car properly, and to help with the smaller ford hub diameter issue....

RR of the Day: unholy cool 1986 Chrysler 5th Avenue - Autoblog

I have been planning on swapping my rear for a ranger rear to match my BBP disc swap, now I'm starting to think I might just pick up a set of 1" adapters and keep my 3.23 geared 7.25 (lugs to car should be flush with the wheel mount face)....would be nice if they'd go the extra mile and make it hubcentric for the adapter to car, as well as the wheel to adapter, but again, it's not necessary........the ranger rear would give me 10x2.5 rear drums though.....

Last edited:
you are, of course, entitled to your opinion.
cast aluminum, especially if it's ADC12/A383 is quite brittle, with maybe 3% elongation at break, with a yield strength of about 22ksi/UTS of maybe 30KSI. 6061T6 is much tougher and more ductile with 17% elongation at break, 40KSI yield and 45KSI UTS. that's not opinion, that's fact. hit a pothole at 40MPH and see which one breaks first.

cast aluminum, especially if it's ADC12/A383 is quite brittle, with maybe 3% elongation at break, with a yield strength of about 22ksi/UTS of maybe 30KSI. 6061T6 is much tougher and more ductile with 17% elongation at break, 40KSI yield and 45KSI UTS. that's not opinion, that's fact. hit a pothole at 40MPH and see which one breaks first.
That may be, but
My opinion is this;
I grew up in the 60s and 70s, and most of us high-schoolers ran those, on our A-bodies, to get 15s on the backs of our street cars.
My Swinger was a DD, and in the 5 or more years I had it, she racked up a pretty good amount of miles; over two years worth still in high school.I drove that car everywhere, all the time.
By 75, that car was on it's Second engine, second or third set of Synchronizers, numerous second gears, three or more clutches, second rear end, second alternator, and second going on third starter.
When I sold that 70 Swinger 340/4-speed, in 75, they were still on there. and still with the slapper bars too.
But hallelujah, miracle of miracles, the adapters were surviving just fine.
And today
My ancient, refurbished, 15x10 kidney slots are doing just fine on the back of my 68 Barracuda. The 367 in it, easily having plus 50% more power than a 70 340, is still breaking 4-speeds and still breaking rear ends, But you know, those old used cast wheels I installed are still surviving, now on BBP axles..
And just so you know;
I've had several other cars that ran that style of adapter. If I had a dollar for every time somebody told me I couldn't or shouldn't do something, Ida had a fistful of dollars.
--------------------------
In my first post, #5, I was not promoting those adapters, merely answering the OP's question,
In my second post, #10, I stated the truth, still promoting nothing.
In my third post,#13, I am still not promoting those adapters, rather I am stating the facts of my experiences. Facts/NOT opinions.

I got an idea
How about you doom and gloom anti-adapter theorists start another thread, entitled something like;
"what experiences have you street-guys had with these SEMA-approved adapters"
That may take your argument out of the realm of opinion and into reality. Until then, as far as I'm concerned, yur just blowing smoke.

it could also be the difference in casting quality from the 70's and now....I've seen some of those cast adapters crack when torqued to spec onto the car....either way, a billet one will be significantly stronger than a cast one, and the billet ones are less expensive to boot

That may be, but
My opinion is this;
I grew up in the 60s and 70s, and most of us high-schoolers ran those, on our A-bodies, to get 15s on the backs of our street cars.
My Swinger was a DD, and in the 5 or more years I had it, she racked up a pretty good amount of miles; over two years worth still in high school.I drove that car everywhere, all the time.
By 75, that car was on it's Second engine, second or third set of Synchronizers, numerous second gears, three or more clutches, second rear end, second alternator, and second going on third starter.
When I sold that 70 Swinger 340/4-speed, in 75, they were still on there. and still with the slapper bars too.
But hallelujah, miracle of miracles, the adapters were surviving just fine.
And today
My ancient, refurbished, 15x10 kidney slots are doing just fine on the back of my 68 Barracuda. The 367 in it, easily having plus 50% more power than a 70 340, is still breaking 4-speeds and still breaking rear ends, But you know, those old used cast wheels I installed are still surviving, now on BBP axles..
And just so you know;
I've had several other cars that ran that style of adapter. If I had a dollar for every time somebody told me I couldn't or shouldn't do something, Ida had a fistful of dollars.
--------------------------
In my first post, #5, I was not promoting those adapters, merely answering the OP's question,
In my second post, #10, I stated the truth, still promoting nothing.
In my third post,#13, I am still not promoting those adapters, rather I am stating the facts of my experiences. Facts/NOT opinions.

I got an idea
How about you doom and gloom anti-adapter theorists start another thread, entitled something like;
"what experiences have you street-guys had with these SEMA-approved adapters"
That may take your argument out of the realm of opinion and into reality. Until then, as far as I'm concerned, yur just blowing smoke.

First, I’m not “anti-adaptor” at all, that’s just BS. There’s nothing wrong with running quality billet adapters, and I’ve done it myself. I literally said adapters are fine if they’re good quality.

Second, comparing cast aluminum wheels to those cast aluminum adapters is nonsense. Cast aluminum has a VERY wide range of qualities and specifications depending on the alloy used and the exact casting process. Cast aluminum wheels (which I also run) and those junky cast aluminum spacers have very little in common in terms of material strength, despite both technically being cast aluminum. Plus the wheels are just creating a clamping surface, those adapters have to support the studs-it’s a different strength requirement.

And finally, just because you’ve done stupid things and survived doesn’t mean they weren’t stupid. Not a valid argument (google “survivor bias”). And I never said those spacers would kill you, I just said they’re junk. And they are.

You ran them and didn’t die? Awesome. They’re garbage. Run them if you want, but I’m not going to.

-
Back