Wheel Bearing CLUNKING ???

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Jeepers...........

Just started a couple days ago........When I turn the wheel to the left (while driving the car), the passenger side front is making a "clunking" sound, EXACTLY like a "CV Joint" on a FWD that needs grease or a change........

I have NEVER heard a bearing make this noise before.......I removed the outer bearing and packed it FULL with royal purple grease.....Put it back together, and NO DIFFERENCE.....I found nothing wrong with the outer bearing......I'm assuming it's the inner and/or the race...........

Have you ever heard a bearing do this before ? It made no noise until a couple days ago.........Gettin' pretty bad now........gonna have to have the mechanic tear it apart I guess..........:angry7:

Is there ANY chance it could be the brakes making that noise? I know the drum is tight enough where I can't get it off without backing the brake off (worn in a little, that is).....I haven't looked in there yet....the brakes feel good........... ?????????

First check the weld that attaches the brace to the inner fender close to the top of th shock. Turn the wheel in the direction of the noise and see if there is any seperation.

Pull the hub, clean the inner race, and see if it has marks, or what looks like stains/blueing on it. If so- bearing. Same for outer race.

I would see if one of the alignment cams has loosened or maybe an upper bushing is bad?

Why would a lower ball joint make a sound that corresponds to the revolutions of the wheel, that literally "knocks" in perfect rhythm...........?.....especially when the lowers seem nice and tight?.............

Seems if it were a lower, it would be nearly falling out of the car........But it's not.......the idler and pitman both have some play, and too much, believe me.........they're being changed........parts just arrived........but I've never heard them make this kind of noise on an old car, regardless of wear..........

Time will tell I guess........I'm havin' my mechanic tear it apart on Monday morning when they change out the pitman and idler............

........I'll let ya's know exactly what it is.........(besides annoying and a bit scary) :clock:

OK, you have a point. I didn't see the part about the sound corresponding to the tire rotating. Usually a clunk means tie rods or ball joints. Have you checked for a cracked drum?

Strut rod can bounce in the hole if bushing falls out. If its a wheel bearing you need to fix it before it ruins the spindle. Good luck

WELL, they changed out the Pitman and Idler with my new parts, and took the Cuda for a test drive..........

It's STILL clunking, and no surprise there........But then, they took everything off the spindle and checked the bearings and races........they appear PERFECT......no signs of wear or damage.

The brake drum is fine......no cracks. The brake shoes and components appear as new, with no problems.

They have been trying to find ANYTHING that's rubbing against the inner wheel or tire, or find any other parts in the front end that would make the noise......NOTHING so far. My mechanic brought in his Dad to look it over........in all his years of working on Classics, he has NEVER heard a bearing make this noise, or heard this noise AT ALL.

Again, for you guys who may want to try to help out here, the noise comes on strong when you begin to turn the wheel to the left (while driving), EVEN SLIGHTLY. It is a "clunking noise" (like a REALLY bad CV joint in a newer car) and is getting worse with each drive.....passenger side only.

If you're perfectly straight going down the road, it's pretty quiet......if you turn to the RIGHT, it's PERFECTLY quiet. Start to ease it to the left, and it starts clunking in perfect sync with the rotation of the tire.

ANY MORE IDEAS??? Shock bushing looks good too.......(again, this is a 67 Cuda Notch)

If they took one side down and inspected they shut one eye. A wheel bearing will normally be noisey when under load which in your case would be turning left.
I personally do not play guessing games with wheel bearings. Dianosis is a coin toss at best. One bearing hasn't been any farther than another. On your car thats 4 bearings. On a front wheel drive its only 2 bearings or bearing hub assemblies that cost a whole heck of a lot more to replace.
After you replace all 4 bearings, Use a diagonal plier to cut the cages. You'll find the scaring on the inner race that could not be seen before.
One more thing.... The area between the inner and outer bearing serves as a grease resivoir for both. That grease is now contaminated. Flush the entire hub out good. Packing the bearings themselves is crucial, along with half filled resivoir .

Well Redfish, I would guess you're correct..........I just can't come up with anything else that could possibly make such a noise.......

When I left the garage, I gave the guys the go ahead to change the bearings out even though they don't show any problems.......I'm prayin' that's the case and that you're dead on . :-D

Well Redfish, I would guess you're correct..........I just can't come up with anything else that could possibly make such a noise.......

When I left the garage, I gave the guys the go ahead to change the bearings out even though they don't show any problems.......I'm prayin' that's the case and that you're dead on . :-D

Make sure they measure the spindles too. The bearing can turn and wear the spindle down and still leave it visually pretty / unharmed.
Good luck

Spindles checked out OK.......Inner bearing was changed and packed, and it's quiet now.

BUT, I jacked it up and ran the rear wheels at low speed (car running) to check out some "wobble" I feel back there.......My wheels aren't the greatest for being "in round"..........guess it comes with their age and prior use.......BUT, my passenger side axle bearing sounds like "Marbles".........Wonderful........

-
Back