wheel bearing stuck need help...

-
So you have had both sides go bad?

"The clicking I was experiencing is now gone as well, I guess I learned a lesson on how to tighten bearings."

Have you worked on them before? Why wasn't there any grease in the picture?

So you have had both sides go bad?

"The clicking I was experiencing is now gone as well, I guess I learned a lesson on how to tighten bearings."

Have you worked on them before? Why wasn't there any grease in the picture?

That was my thought. When was the last time they were removed and repacked. Did you pack the new bearings before you put them in? If not they won't last long.

I did pack them full of grease. But after torquing them down really tight and then driving 50 miles it got so hot it liquefied the grease and cooked it off. Then boom they blew out and sent me to the right and I promptly pulled over and called the tow truck.

I did pack them full of grease. But after torquing them down really tight and then driving 50 miles it got so hot it liquefied the grease and cooked it off. Then boom they blew out and sent me to the right and I promptly pulled over and called the tow truck.

Oh man, you aren't supposed to torque them real tight, you snug them up to set bearing preload and then back the nut off about a quarter turn and lock it down with the castle nut and cotter key.

Oh man, you aren't supposed to torque them real tight, you snug them up to set bearing preload and then back the nut off about a quarter turn and lock it down with the castle nut and cotter key.

Yup I learned a huge lesson the past 2 days. I will be a bit more thorough on researching next time I go to work on the car.

That's what this forum is for, ask, ask and ask some more. Sorry that happened.

I didn't see that you mentioned what year/ model. There are some shop manuals you can download, which will give you the correct procedure for adjusting wheel bearings.

My 69 Dart w/ 9" drums did that also. On a cross-country drive I thought I heard squeaking on turns so had the front bearings replaced in AL. I watched the mechanic and he backed off one notch from finger-tight as I do. In north MS, the left outer bearing failed, with inner race "welded" to the spindle and outer race spun in the hub, ruining it. The bearings fell out in my hand, so the hub would slide off. Luckily the shop I limped to had another 9" hub in their junkyard of cars out back. They also had the county's best welder who heated the race cherry red, switched to pure Ox and burned a slot down it, then chiseled it off while still glowing. Didn't mar the spindle at all. I was back on the road in one hour for only ~$75. The right side failed 5 years later, also ruining the hub. I don't know if cheap bearings or a generic problem with the 9" hubs.

If your hubs are toast, I would consider switching to or disk brakes or at least 10" drums. Both require different spindles, so don't fuss if your 9" ones are toast.

Hooray I am at work.

So here is the story. On sunday morning I replaced the bearings on the front wheels. Replaced the races and packed the bearings. Put it all back together. Overtightened the nut and did not back it off.

Drove it for 30 miles and stopped at a gas station for a few and then continued driving for another 10-15 miles or so. Heard a loud pop or squeel (Cant exactly remember the sound) and the car jerked to the right sharply. I regained control and pulled over to the side of the road to inspect the bearings. Both dust caps where gone, metal flakes all over the place, grease was pretty much burned out and what little was left was black and mostly on the outside of the wheel. Called a tow truck and towed it to my girlfriends house that was a few more miles down the road.

By the time I was able to get replacement parts and the tools needed to do the job it was well after 9pm.

Woke up monday morning and started working on the car. The passanger side took 30 minutes to fix. Bearing was self welded to the spindle so i cut and hammered off the majority of it. Used a dremmel and smoothed down the spindle so the new bearing would slide back on. All back together and also backed the nut off :cheers:

The drivers side was a different story. The bearing failed but stayed mostly intact and held the hub onto the spindle. I pounded and pulled and used every manner of tool I had to try and pry them apart. Ended up renting a hub puller (thanks to you guys) and with some elbow grease it came off. This spindle had a slight groove cut into it all the way around. I smoothed it out as best I could trying not to change the spindle. 7 hours of work on one tire and its all fixed up now.

This is obviously a temp fix and I learned a good lesson haha. I should have a new car in the next couple of weeks and can retire this one to the driveway for a while.

Thank you all for the help and the suggestions.

-
Back